The Steak You Ordered Is Burned. What Do You Do About It?

Your Steak Is Burned. What Do You Do About It?

• Pay the bill and leave

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offer to pay double if they cook it right the next time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is that your house ?

nah - my house has nice, comfy padded walls.

ah yes---the party--it's all coming back to me------[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZMUBMYfT4fY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZMUBMYfT4fY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

What would I do? Personally, that depends. I prefer my burgers and steak well done, so if it's burned, that's not as bad as the guy sitting at the other table who ordered his steak rare and it came out burned. I would taste it, just to see if it is the slightest bit palatable, and if not, then yes I would say something to a manager, but keep it very low-key and not raise a huge fuss. Maybe it's because I myself am in the customer service business, and the fact that I absolutely hate it when angry customers make a big stink over something that's quite easily corrected. I would just ask politely for another steak, and when it arrives, I will eat, enjoy myself, and leave a large tip.

I have only once ever had to do this: I ordered a fillet of grilled salmon (for $25) and the results were disheartening: it tasted more like canned tuna than grilled salmon, the fillet was very, very small and not thick enough, and it was lukewarm, not hot. I just mentioned quietly to the waitress that I wasn't satisfied with the taste, and if I could please have another, and she ran quickly do to so. I actually had the cook and two managers come out and apologize to me, which I wasn't even expecting. And I did leave a tip that day.

I just send it back.

They get one more chance to get it right and it'd best not take too long, either.

I also expect that the restuarant will do something to compensate me for their poor service.

Either the cook comes out to gush his apologies, the manager sends over a drink or something that indicates that they know they screwed up BAD.

Another reason I seldom go to resturants is that few restuarants employees seesm to understand that I am PROFIT and they are merely overhead.

It's not just limited to expensive items, either.

I send eggs back if they're not right, toast, whatever I order had best come to me done correctly and in a timely manner, too.

Yeah, I'm a real prick.

That's what happens to people whose families ran restaurants for generations.

They expect things to be done right.

Last edited:
well you may be a real prick but at least you got balls to go with it....first i dont eat at places i would even suspect of food tampering....i prefer to eat at home...i am too good a cook and can buy anything on sale if you look enough...hell it may not be your first menu but i can build a good menu around sale items...now my son is like you....he will be hyper critical..he is a line cook.....not of my cooking....but of restuarants...he quit one chain...cause he didnt like having to wear a chef's jacket to run the microwave....and some other things...

i know what goes into our food at home....hubby has a couple of food allergies..that cause hives...not just regular hives....but huge ass..make your lip swell to it looks like it will burst hives...so i always have to be careful of that...once an attack begins....certain meds do it too...you cant stop it...his lips swell to the point you cant understand his speech....(o hell yes its funny...do you know how hard it is not to laugh, his big ass lips...trout lips....worse than julia roberts lips..yet all i can do is be sympathic)

so why do people go out and pay twice the price for a steak...and booze...the mark up there...i ordered a bottled water at one place....3 bucks...fuck me....from tuscany....hell i just dont like city water....i didnt need italian water.

well you may be a real prick but at least you got balls to go with it....first i dont eat at places i would even suspect of food tampering....i prefer to eat at home...i am too good a cook and can buy anything on sale if you look enough...hell it may not be your first menu but i can build a good menu around sale items...now my son is like you....he will be hyper critical..he is a line cook.....not of my cooking....but of restuarants...he quit one chain...cause he didnt like having to wear a chef's jacket to run the microwave....and some other things...

i know what goes into our food at home....hubby has a couple of food allergies..that cause hives...not just regular hives....but huge ass..make your lip swell to it looks like it will burst hives...so i always have to be careful of that...once an attack begins....certain meds do it too...you cant stop it...his lips swell to the point you cant understand his speech....(o hell yes its funny...do you know how hard it is not to laugh, his big ass lips...trout lips....worse than julia roberts lips..yet all i can do is be sympathic)

so why do people go out and pay twice the price for a steak...and booze...the mark up there...i ordered a bottled water at one place....3 bucks...fuck me....from tuscany....hell i just dont like city water....i didnt need italian water.

I seldom can afford to go to any restuarant capable of cooking my food better than I can

When I'm paying somebody money to cook for me, they'd best know what the hell they're doing as resturanteers, because I know perfectly well what I'm doing as their patron...I'm helping to keep them in business

I'm not mean about it or anything but as soon as they put the plate down, I can see whether it's cooked right.

I would just say, that's burnt, take it back.

I'm pretty picky about breakfast too.

When we go out, it's usually with family or friends. Everyone just sits around for a long time talking anyway, I can wait for them to do it right. I still wouldn't withhold the tip, it isn't the waiter's fault.

Imagine this: You go to a nice restaurant, get seated and look over the menu and order a nice filet mignon for $25. Then you enjoy a nice glass of red wine while waiting for your steak to arrive.
When your waiter serves it to you you see that it wasn't nearly what you had anticipated. It's burned to a crisp. It's a hockey puck. You wouldn't feed it to your dog. It still has marks where the jockey was hitting it.

A complete and utter culinary failure. Question is: What do you do about it?
Do you:

A. Pay the bill and leave.
B. Eat it but never come back.
C. Complain to the management about it.
D. Offer to pay double ($50) if they can cook it right the next time.

E. Call a cop.

If they burned my filet mignon, that's criminal and I intend to prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.

I agree with whoever said that if a place has a decent filet on the menu, they're not likely to overcook it. In fact, I believe some won't cook a filet "well". "Medium" is as done as they go. But maybe that's just around here.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Imagine this: You go to a nice restaurant, get seated and look over the menu and order a nice filet mignon for $25. Then you enjoy a nice glass of red wine while waiting for your steak to arrive.
When your waiter serves it to you you see that it wasn't nearly what you had anticipated. It's burned to a crisp. It's a hockey puck. You wouldn't feed it to your dog. It still has marks where the jockey was hitting it.

A complete and utter culinary failure. Question is: What do you do about it?
Do you:

A. Pay the bill and leave.
B. Eat it but never come back.
C. Complain to the management about it.
D. Offer to pay double ($50) if they can cook it right the next time.

The Steak You Ordered Is Burned. What Do You Do About It?

First of all you are not in a "nice" restaurant. Cafe' de Beaugalais in Fort Lauderdale is the place on the planet for Filet Mignon. Or maybe the restaurant in the airport in Omaha Nebraska.

Niether of those places would serve you a bad filet. ... Or even a not perfect one. But if it wasn't ...due to your dumb ass not ordering what you really wanted they would have a replacement in front of you lickety split if you even made a funny look at your first bite.

I just send it back.

They get one more chance to get it right and it'd best not take too long, either.

I also expect that the restuarant will do something to compensate me for their poor service.

Either the cook comes out to gush his apologies, the manager sends over a drink or something that indicates that they know they screwed up BAD.

Another reason I seldom go to resturants is that few restuarants employees seesm to understand that I am PROFIT and they are merely overhead.

It's not just limited to expensive items, either.

I send eggs back if they're not right, toast, whatever I order had best come to me done correctly and in a timely manner, too.

Yeah, I'm a real prick.

That's what happens to people whose families ran restaurants for generations.

They expect things to be done right.

LOL, I don't even want to imagine the nastiness you've unsuspectingly ingested because of this attitude.

Forum List

Back