The Steak You Ordered Is Burned. What Do You Do About It?

Your Steak Is Burned. What Do You Do About It?

• Pay the bill and leave

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offer to pay double if they cook it right the next time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Imagine this: You go to a nice restaurant, get seated and look over the menu and order a nice filet mignon for $25. Then you enjoy a nice glass of red wine while waiting for your steak to arrive.
When your waiter serves it to you you see that it wasn't nearly what you had anticipated. It's burned to a crisp. It's a hockey puck. You wouldn't feed it to your dog. It still has marks where the jockey was hitting it.

A complete and utter culinary failure. Question is: What do you do about it?
Do you:

A. Pay the bill and leave.
B. Eat it but never come back.
C. Complain to the management about it.
D. Offer to pay double ($50) if they can cook it right the next time.

Always tell the management.

I prefer to do it in a nice, quiet way, and only once have I balked at paying for it anyway...if I eat most of my dinner, or it's a good experience and they offer to fix a new plate for me, I don't sweat it.

However, I've gotten absolutely rotten food once that I ended up paying for but I NEVER went back to that place to eat.

And once while at a favorite Chinese place that I ate lunch at on a regular basis, the egg flower soup was sour. I called the owner over, whispered to her that the soup was off, so she probably wouldn't want to serve any more of it.

Her husband the cook came out, STUCK HIS FINGER IN MY SOUP, swirled it around, sucked his finger, and yelled at me, "SOUP FINE, TOO MUCH SHOY SHAUCE!" about 3 times.

Sheesh. I grabbed the wife again on the way out, I paid for it (I mean, it was only like $1.75) but I told her, "Hey, I know he says it's fine but I eat here all the time, and you shouldn't be serving that soup."

Too much shoy shauce my ass.

Always complain to a manager if something is wrong with

1) Your food

2) Your service

They will bend over backwards trying to make it right.

"TOO MUCH SHOY SHAUCE!"

Sorry, Echo, I just have not always found that to be true.

But having worked in the food industry, I know that if you don't tell them, they won't know.

"TOO MUCH SHOY SHAUCE!"

Sorry, Echo, I just have not always found that to be true.

But having worked in the food industry, I know that if you don't tell them, they won't know.

Well, I guess I should have said any restaurant that wants your business back.

Bad word of mouth is the worst thing for a restaurant's business.

i would return the steak....you are paying top price for it....dont be rude but simply point out what you ordered...of course most people dont realize what they order and what that means....how did the op order the steak and if it was burned then simply return it...they cant give you the same steak back...now the problem with a filet is....you are mostly likely a med well person...unless you butterfly the fillet it is impossible to do without burning the steak...so what did you order

Life's rule #1: NEVER piss off people that handle your food!

Besides that, this did happen to me. Very nice restaurant, very over cooked filet mignon. I was going to choke it down, when my boss complained about it.

The result was that I sat there VERY hungray watching everyone else eat. I didn't get my steak until everyone else was on dessert. Then they had to wait while I ate. It was terrible.

Besides the second steak was as undercooked as the first one was over cooked. It was terrible.

Sometimes in life you should just shut up and roll with the punches. If you get upset everytime something goes wrong - you're just going to spend your entire life very upset.

Let me just add - you need to fight the battles that matter - not the petty stuff, like overcooked steaks.

Let me just add - you need to fight the battles that matter - not the petty stuff, like overcooked steaks.
Oh but the restaurant advertised it with a nice picture of a delicious looking steak. You ordered it based on what they said you were gonna' get. You took their word for it.

You really think that not getting what your paying for is "petty"?

Besides that, this did happen to me. Very nice restaurant, very over cooked filet mignon. I was going to choke it down, when my boss complained about it.

The result was that I sat there VERY hungray watching everyone else eat. I didn't get my steak until everyone else was on dessert. Then they had to wait while I ate. It was terrible.

Besides the second steak was as undercooked as the first one was over cooked. It was terrible.

Sometimes in life you should just shut up and roll with the punches. If you get upset everytime something goes wrong - you're just going to spend your entire life very upset.
How do you under cook a filet mignon?

C.

If they don't resolve the situation appropriately and in a timely manner, walk out - don't pay the bill if you don't eat the food - and tell everyone you know about your experience. EZ is right, bad word of mouth works.

If you let people walk all over you with the little stuff, you'll let them walk all over you with the big stuff.

When did overcooking filet mignon become 'small stuff'?

Last edited:

The hide must have still been on it.

underexpose it to heat. are you this stupid in real life?

None of the above. Those are lame response selections.

For me it depends. Cheap place where the new one is likely to get garnished with a loogie, I most likely eat and run. Expensive place I will tactfully* ask for it to be re-done.

* Tact: The art of telling someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the journey.

-Joe

Last edited:

underexpose it to heat. are you this stupid in real life?

I suppose you like your filet's well done?
Who is stupid now?

Imagine this: You go to a nice restaurant, get seated and look over the menu and order a nice filet mignon for $25. Then you enjoy a nice glass of red wine while waiting for your steak to arrive.
When your waiter serves it to you you see that it wasn't nearly what you had anticipated. It's burned to a crisp. It's a hockey puck. You wouldn't feed it to your dog. It still has marks where the jockey was hitting it.

Do you:

eat it and never order it again but never say anything. I have seen 'Waiting' plus I have many friends that worked in food service, there is now way I am eating pubes, it is not worth being right.
Also some advise never complain too much to a bartender especially if you don't plan on paying attention when they make your drink.

Do you:

Why complain to management. Just send it back with the server and ask them to fire another one. If it is screwed up the second time, then you talk to management. However, if a restaurant actually has filet mignon on the menu, chances are they can get ot pretty close the first time. ;)

Forum List

Back