"The "POOR" a profile : free cell phone, free rent, free food,

If they don't work they can call from a land line. A cell phone is a luxury not a necessity.

This goes to show that you're completely ignorant of the issue. The government programs that provide free cell phones, like Safelink, are a replacement for older programs that provided land line service. The phones themselves are very cheap, basic, $5 phones. They get 250 minutes a month, which would market for a about $20-$25 a month. The reason why the move has been made to the cell phone program over the older land line program is because land line phones are becoming obsolete, and the cell phone program is cheaper now. There are additional benefits to the cell phone program for recipients, such as the fact that in today's world it is largely expected for people to possess cell phones and utilize them. 15 years ago, if you ran into a traffic jam because of a car accident, you might end up being 20 minutes late and explain the reason to your boss when you arrived. Nowadays, if you're so much as 5 minutes late because your tire blew out on the way, you had better have called from your cell phone and let your boss know, or you'll face disciplinary action. Thus, the cell phone program has the added benefit of assisting recipients to maintain employment, instead of potentially getting fired for something pointless, which would further delay the recipient's recovery from their difficult times.

This must be one of those class warfare threads I've been hearing so much about.

Weird that people can be so jealous of all the great things poor people get to enjoy.

Actually, we are just sick and tired of hearing that we dont do enough for the poor.

With all of that, many of us ALSO give our time and personal donations as well.

And to be frank...I am sick and tired of the left telling me that I hate the poor.

I hated being poor and I am damn glad someone did not make it easy fore me to be poor.

Sure...those "ammenities" are not the greatest...but they are enough to make one say "it could be worse"

Saying "it cant get worse" is what made me wake up.

If they don't work they can call from a land line. A cell phone is a luxury not a necessity.

This goes to show that you're completely ignorant of the issue. The government programs that provide free cell phones, like Safelink, are a replacement for older programs that provided land line service. The phones themselves are very cheap, basic, $5 phones. They get 250 minutes a month, which would market for a about $20-$25 a month. The reason why the move has been made to the cell phone program over the older land line program is because land line phones are becoming obsolete, and the cell phone program is cheaper now. There are additional benefits to the cell phone program for recipients, such as the fact that in today's world it is largely expected for people to possess cell phones and utilize them. 15 years ago, if you ran into a traffic jam because of a car accident, you might end up being 20 minutes late and explain the reason to your boss when you arrived. Nowadays, if you're so much as 5 minutes late because your tire blew out on the way, you had better have called from your cell phone and let your boss know, or you'll face disciplinary action. Thus, the cell phone program has the added benefit of assisting recipients to maintain employment, instead of potentially getting fired for something pointless, which would further delay the recipient's recovery from their difficult times.

Well, given your logic, it would also be beneficial that they received late model cars that would be less likely to break, Allen Brothers steaks since they have much less fat, free access to NetFlix so they could be exposed to better culture, free access to first rate golf course so they could be exposed to better employers.....

:lol:

People who work(ed) their asses off to better themselves have grown weary of lazy dickweeds like Obama and his trolls on this board demanding that they pay more so they can have more free shit.

This must be one of those class warfare threads I've been hearing so much about.

Weird that people can be so jealous of all the great things poor people get to enjoy.

Actually, we are just sick and tired of hearing that we dont do enough for the poor.

And to be frank...I am sick and tired of the left telling me that I hate the poor.

I hated being poor and I am damn glad someone did not make it easy fore me to be poor.

Sure...those "ammenities" are not the greatest...but they are enough to make one say "it could be worse"

Yes but why do you hate the poor? :eusa_angel:

Well, given your logic, it would also be beneficial that they received late model cars that would be less likely to break, Allen Brothers steaks since they have much less fat, free access to NetFlix so they could be exposed to better culture, free access to first rate golf course so they could be exposed to better employers.....

:lol:

Would at least most of those things be beneficial? Of course they would. A person who doesn't have a car has greater limits on possible job opportunities, because of their ability to get to work. But that's irrelevant. Nobody is here suggesting that the government buy cars for the poor. All I've done is point out the false implications and assumptions that people are making.

Yes but why do you hate the poor? :eusa_angel:

Define "the poor".

free internet, free health care!

YES the POOR are so down trodden!
Absolutely NO OTHER country offers these luxuries to the "POOR"!!!
a) Free Cell phone (my cell phone I PAY is about $100/month)
if the poor person receives just one of the below:
Food stamps * Medicaid * Section 8 * Supplemental Security Income * National School Lunch Program
THEY GET A FREE CELL PHONE PAID BY ME FROM TAX ON MY CELL PHONE!
b) 40 million Americans on food stamps get $200/month in free food.
c)FREE RENT...
about 2.1 million households (6 million) use Section 8 the Housing Choice Voucher program, pays a large portion of the rents and utilities of or the Housing Choice Voucher Program up to $1,000 /month in FREE housing...

So these people get
=== $ 5,666 in EIC cash,
=== $12,000 free housing ,
=== $ 2,400 free food,
=== $ 1,200 in free cell phone plus
=== $ 5,000 a year in free health care from Medicaid.
So this is about $26,000 a year in FREE MONEY, free goods and free services...

THE '"POOR"!!!

And who do we have to blame for that?

Frankly, I'm horrified by this, but who took away their oppurtunities to earn those things for themselves.

Who sent all the good paying manufacturing jobs to China?

Who busted up good paying Union Jobs and replaced them with McJobs at Staples and Domino's Pizza.

If the fight between Republicans and Democrats is the fight between big business and big government, (Already a pretty incestuous relationship) then Big Business is making it easy for big government.

If you get more from government by just voting for a Democrat than you get for busting your hump for 40 hours a week, then really, there's a real incentive to vote for Democrats, isn't it?

Single- under $14k, family of four $22k I believe...

Don't the dupes realize we're in the Second Pub Great Depression?

So is it your position that 47% of taxpayers are poor and therefore need not pay?

They do pay, you idiot. They pay every other tax known to man other than Federal Income Tax....they even pay into that out of their miniscule paychecks and the government gets to collect interest on that money throughout the year until refund time.

You assholes turn a blind eye to all the other forms of taxation and focus on the ONE that they don't end up paying. Big fucking deal.... they get a break on that one because they are barely making it. No, you'd rather take the food out their kids' mouths and the clothing off their backs because YOU feel so entitled to pay less.

Selfishness....the Republican Mantra.

free internet, free health care!

YES the POOR are so down trodden!
Absolutely NO OTHER country offers these luxuries to the "POOR"!!!
a) Free Cell phone (my cell phone I PAY is about $100/month)
if the poor person receives just one of the below:
Food stamps * Medicaid * Section 8 * Supplemental Security Income * National School Lunch Program
THEY GET A FREE CELL PHONE PAID BY ME FROM TAX ON MY CELL PHONE!
b) 40 million Americans on food stamps get $200/month in free food.
c)FREE RENT...
about 2.1 million households (6 million) use Section 8 the Housing Choice Voucher program, pays a large portion of the rents and utilities of or the Housing Choice Voucher Program up to $1,000 /month in FREE housing...

So these people get
=== $ 5,666 in EIC cash,
=== $12,000 free housing ,
=== $ 2,400 free food,
=== $ 1,200 in free cell phone plus
=== $ 5,000 a year in free health care from Medicaid.
So this is about $26,000 a year in FREE MONEY, free goods and free services...

THE '"POOR"!!!

Bitter, bitter, bitter. It's understandable when you see someone who is taking advantage of the system. That is totally understandable.

I won't pretend to understand how Medicaid works, as I've only had to be on it once....and that was when I was ill....for about 3 months. I couldn't get off it quickly enough, as it was mortifying to me. Not that there's any shame in needing help. I just have a difficult time asking others to help me. But $5,000/year in free healthcare? Can someone tell me...what happens when that 5k is spent? I was recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and the diagnosis alone was over $10K. With the treatments, medications, and hospitalization since then, we're up to about $50k now. What do these people do if they get really ill and need treatment for a disease, such as I have? Medicare? I honestly don't know.

Working with the public, I've been into a LOT of housing projects. MOST of them are not a place you would want to live; I promise you. They usually have 3D wallpaper-in other words, they cohabitate with a large population of cockroaches. The areas are usually crime-ridden. It's not a plesant lifestyle.

You're not the only one paying taxes, so please...it's difficult to feel sympathy for you. Empathy, yes. But I pay more than my share of taxes, as do most of us in here.

Try something-sit down and talk to some of these people when you get a chance. Listen to their life stories. You will be shocked by most of them. Unfortunately, some simply cannot rise above it. It's much easier to be angry and bitter. So why not try harder. Try empathy. Listen to their stories, and find out how they ended up despondent.

I remember when I first went into psychiatry. I worked at a private psych hospital in Nashville. That was before Tenncare. Then, Medicaid allowed a 45 day psych hospitalization every year. They would come and the MDs who got paid every day made sure they stayed the full 45 days. It was their vacation. We were not their nurses, we were their maids, and we better damn well have their Valium there on time or we got reported to the supervisor.

I don't miss those days. That kind of thing is one thing that Tenncare eliminated. That and fertility treatments, which it paid for in the early days of the program - until someone wrote the Tennessean and asked why we were pain for fertility treatments for welfare patients!

Single- under $14k, family of four $22k I believe...

Don't the dupes realize we're in the Second Pub Great Depression?

So is it your position that 47% of taxpayers are poor and therefore need not pay?

They do pay, you idiot. They pay every other tax known to man other than Federal Income Tax....they even pay into that out of their miniscule paychecks and the government gets to collect interest on that money throughout the year until refund time.

You assholes turn a blind eye to all the other forms of taxation and focus on the ONE that they don't end up paying. Big fucking deal.... they get a break on that one because they are barely making it. No, you'd rather take the food out their kids' mouths and the clothing off their backs because YOU feel so entitled to pay less.

Hey fucknut, for the fucking umpteenth time the 47% number is referring to FEDERAL INCOME TAX.

How many times does it take to get that simple fact into your thick ovine skull?

Hey fucknut, for the fucking umpteenth time the 47% number is referring to FEDERAL INCOME TAX.

How many times does it take to get that simple fact into your thick ovine skull?

Ovine? Is that cross between Oval and Cow-like?

Hey cumlips... for the umpteenth time... I WAS referring to FEDERAL INCOME TAX. It's the only tax that matters to your ilk....because it's the ONLY TAX THEY GET A BREAK ON... guess why? They're fuckin' broke! Without that tax break they'd be moreso.

The minimum tax rate in the US for 2012 is 10%. So for that poor single dude that's making $14k...that's $1400.... when you factor in the cost of rent, food, clothing etc....that $1400 means a hell of a lot. Same with the families trying to live on $22k.

IIRC, the 47th percentile of income is around $30k. For a Family of four, that's not much.

Why don't you grow a sack and question why so many people are that fucking broke in the richest country in the world? Why don't you question why so many people can't afford to live in their own country?

Why? because you're too fucking stupid. Ovine, my ass.

"The "POOR" a profile : free cell phone, free rent, free food,

Nobody I know on welfare gets a free cell phone. Very few of them get free rent, either.

A lot of them (of late) seem to be on SNAP, though.

Forum List

Back