Stipulating that Newt was later cleared of the charge for which he was sanctioned ..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Amelia, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    Stipulating that Newt was later cleared of the charge for which he was sanctioned ... why did the Democrats get away with coercing a confession out of him and why did so many Republicans vote against Gingrich on that 84th charge?

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered. I have been trying not to think about Gingrich. It hasn't worked out very well, but I've been trying.

Was it his past offenses and his personal life which made it so easy for his fellow Republicans to bail on him? Was it simple exhaustion under the relentless efforts of the Democrats to bring Gingrich down after he so effectively damaged them? Why were the Democrats effective, why did Gingrich give in, and why did so many of his party members vote against him?

This is the Wiki summary for convenience.

Newt Gingrich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. Liability

Liability Locked Account. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,063
    Newt was not actually "cleared."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    How so?

I don't know if I've seen the official wording of the charge he was reprimanded for. Wiki's version: "claiming tax-exempt status for a college course run for political purposes."

IRS found that the course was not political, right?

Do you mean he wasn't officially cleared? As in the House apologizing to him after the IRS finished their investigation?

4. ladyliberal

ladyliberal Progressive Princess

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +291
    No, the IRS investigation didn't clear him. Motivated by the House investigation, the IRS investigated the course to see if it was violating tax law. It found that it wasn't: Washingtonpost.com: IRS Clears Foundation That Aided Gingrich Course

However, the charge for which the House eventually sanctioned him was submitting inaccurate information to the Ethics committee. Gingrich admitted this. He denied that he had intended to submit false information, but I don't believe that intent was part of the element of the violation, so I believe Gingrich admitted that he had committed the ethics violation for which he was sanctioned.

Even if one were to stipulate, counterfactually, that the IRS investigation cleared Gingrich of all wrongdoing this would hardly have an impact on the House vote, which occurred years before the IRS investigation concluded.

And no, the IRS did not find that the course was nonpolitical. In fact, while it found that the course was "was educational and never favored or opposed a candidate for public office", it also found that the course was "substantially motivated by partisan, political goals."

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  5. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,525
    Newt plea bargained the charges down. He was guilty of other crimes, but those were dropped.

It's like plea bargaining a manslaughter charge down to jaywalking.

6. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119

I read that his admission of submitting false information turned out to be false. Sort of "I thought I made a mistake once but I was wrong."

What really happened in the Gingrich ethics case? | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

So that article is one which is saying the IRS found the course was not political. The statement that it was "substantially motivated by partisan, political goals" was in the IRS report?

Dang this is so slippery.

7. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    I posted that too early.

Reading your link again more closely it looks like the "substantially motivated by partisan, political goals" statement was what the House's counsel said.

I don't see that it is in the IRS' statement.

8. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,525
    There were 84 charges against Newt. That's a lot of charges.

83 were dropped once he plea bargained the one.

Dropped =/= innocent.

Washingtonpost.com: Ethics Committee Drops Last of 84 Ethics Charges Against Gingrich

Wouldn't it be nice if we were all given the same break? Hey, I stopped repeatedly breaking the law and ain't doing it no more. So let me off!

9. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    Would really like to at least get it clear about the IRS's findings.

10. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    Bump.

Do we have a link to the IRS report?