The Multi Quote Abuse

NOTICE !!! Look at the post above and see how NARROW it is with only 2 levels of stacked quotes. That's some kind of S/W choice that is less than brilliant. See what happens to the WIDTH of the quote when you play with your Browser magnification..

With my monitor and browser, at 125% it's very narrow and small font. But if you to 150% --- the quote portion of the post is the SAME width as my response. SOME of this whole issue is the way YOUR BROWSER is choosing font sizes and scalings depending on what your desired magnification is..

Last edited:
NOTICE !!! Look at the post above and see how NARROW it is with only 2 levels of stacked quotes. That's some kind of S/W choice that is less than brilliant. See what happens to the WIDTH of the quote when you play with your Browser magnification..

With my monitor and browser, at 125% it's very narrow and small font. But if you to 150% --- the quote portion of the post is the SAME width as my response. SOME of this whole issue is the way YOUR BROWSER is choosing font sizes and scalings depending on what your desired magnification is..

I don't usually play with my magnification (not for free anyway :eusa_shifty: ) but I tried it and didn't see an affect. :dunno:
(Firefox)

But FlaCalTenn do you know the image in your sig line doesn't show up?

I just noticed that. No..his file doesn't show up for me either. I'm on Chrome.

k19xdj.jpg

It does show up for me. I'm on IE. But changing magnification has no affect on the proportionate width of the quote boxes.

I am totally addicted to the little red scroll knob. I go to other forums and keep clicking the side and...it ain't there! I have to manually scroll up when not here. No likey.

Hitting the space key will do the trick as well. It's a left index-finger thing...

Actually hitting the space bar takes me down, not up. Which is über handy now that you mention it -- the equivalent of a green chevron that would do the opposite of the red one. :thup:

Danke sehr -- two way traffic! :)

"Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn..."
driving-3255.gif

Maybe if there is a thread titled "how to reply or quote". It Iis different now than before. it took me a few times to realize all I had to do to get to quote the poster I was replying to was to hit reply within their post. Logically, as it was before, you had to hit quote to do such. If peopoe understood, just maybe it would help.
Also, posting from a touch screen is much different than a pc. My android won't let me copy and paste at the end of a reply box, thus have to post it above the quotes, and when not pasting it will let me start at the end of a post to reply, then suddenly jumps up within the prior quote after a few characters, and I have to start all over. Drives me crazy, particularly because the site now saves a draft you can't get rid of, hardly, without having to jump through loops and hoops.

It is quite the challenge to manage nest edits. What I've done lately is -- say I've got a reply that's got nine nested quotes in it, and that's too many. I count up how many quotes I need to make my point -- let's say I only need the last four. I start highlighting the end of the unneeded quotes (i.e. just before the oldest one I want to keep) and then, knowing I'm keeping four quotes, continue the highlight back to the point just after the fourth quote code ([QUOTE="member name, post: number, member: number]). That should come out right.

But in order to check to see if it is right, I have to click "more options" and navigate around to "preview", which is still extra steps, and another reason we need a "preview" button right here ↓.

It is quite the challenge to manage nest edits. What I've done lately is -- say I've got a reply that's got nine nested quotes in it, and that's too many. I count up how many quotes I need to make my point -- let's say I only need the last four. I start highlighting the end of the unneeded quotes (i.e. just before the oldest one I want to keep) and then, knowing I'm keeping four quotes, continue the highlight back to the point just after the fourth quote code ([QUOTE="member name, post: number, member: number]). That should come out right.

But in order to check to see if it is right, I have to click "more options" and navigate around to "preview", which is still extra steps, and another reason we need a "preview" button right here ↓.

Yepp, it is somewhat a pain in the ass.

Yepp, it is somewhat a pain in the ass.

Sharthead disagrees. Yet has no ideas of its own. What a shocker.

Seriously. There needs to be a limit to how many boxes are quoted. Many of us use phones and don't have full pc functionality to limit this stuff.

Seriously. There needs to be a limit to how many boxes are quoted. Many of us use phones and don't have full pc functionality to limit this stuff.

The site has already advised that that isn't an option. It's either unlimited nesting or no nesting at all. That's why it's incumbent upon We the Posters to police ourselves (what a Liberal concept). So when we see a post that snakes on and on for fourteen generations put the blame where it belongs ---- on the lazy who didn't bother to edit themselves.

They're really difficult to edit too for some reason. Not like the old forum. You end up with the wrong people quoted for the wrong post.

Plus has anyone noticed that if you start a post in a thread then leave it and go to respond to a different post, it leaves what you started to say in the first one in the second one. Very annoying.

They're really difficult to edit too for some reason. Not like the old forum. You end up with the wrong people quoted for the wrong post.

Plus has anyone noticed that if you start a post in a thread then leave it and go to respond to a different post, it leaves what you started to say in the first one in the second one. Very annoying.

Yeah they are. It's important to nip it in the bud before it grows too big. Basically if part of a quote doesn't need to be there, cut it out. Or use the alternative multi-quote feature, which at least keeps them separate from each other (but the problem with that is they appear in random order so it still requires managing).

The method I described for trimming back long nests in post 92 is working pretty well as far as keeping track of what one's doing. But it's not foolproof and still needs a preview to be sure. Even after that I find myself occasionally deleting the entire thing and starting over.

The "draft" feature is a PITA. We figured out that in order to get rid of that you have to highlight your own draft and delete it first. That of course requires that you remember to take that extra step. Horrible design.

The site has already advised that that isn't an option. It's either unlimited nesting or no nesting at all. That's why it's incumbent upon We the Posters to police ourselves (what a Liberal concept). So when we see a post that snakes on and on for fourteen generations put the blame where it belongs ---- on the lazy who didn't bother to edit themselves.
And do you have any idea of the hassels of self editing on a phone if it's even possible? Hell just posting links or cutting & pasting is a pain for me.

I'm not even gonna bother.

And do you have any idea of the hassels of self editing on a phone if it's even possible? Hell just posting links or cutting & pasting is a pain for me.

I'm not even gonna bother.

Just grunt a lot. We will get the idea, trust me.

Forum List

Back