The Multi Quote Abuse

Those who are all full of themselves will quote themselves...which will make a HUGE mess and totally disrupt any topic going on. Case in point...Gismo. He's back as LordGismo, quoting himself. And there is no strike across his first name so that function is not working unless he is UNbanned. But then, if he is,...he is using TWO names now.

I thought he was back as HALLEIUYAH_MAN14. Same admonitions to "silly little man" and references to "tiny little Israel".

I thought he was back as HALLEIUYAH_MAN14. Same admonitions to "silly little man" and references to "tiny little Israel".

Inform staff. They took care of lordgismo.

AND...see how I quoted you but left off the long assed other quotes?

It's not really multi-quote abuse....it's the nested quote thang.

I'd rather go back to the default set up where only the most recent post is quoted.
Me too.

I would post much less in threads if the nested quotes went away. Serious conversations require them. And in the Enviro and other forums where I choose to post -- it provides continuity to the discussion without the intervening trolling.

People just need to avoid it as THEIR default choice. If you don't want to reference stuff in the 10 previous quotes -- pick the ONE you want and respond to that.

You do that by going to the post -- hitting the quote button. Then go to your edit box at the bottom of the page.. There will be a button for "Insert Quotes". Hit it .. A dialogue pops up, and you hit "Use Quotes".. The SINGLE quote will show in your edit box. Even if the post you took it from has a 10 level nested quote in it --- ONLY the last quote will be in your reply.

Last edited:
I am totally addicted to the little red scroll knob. I go to other forums and keep clicking the side and...it ain't there! I have to manually scroll up when not here. No likey.

It's not really multi-quote abuse....it's the nested quote thang.

I'd rather go back to the default set up where only the most recent post is quoted.
Me too.

I would post much less in threads if the nested quotes went away. Serious conversations require them. And in the Enviro and other forums where I choose to post -- it provides continuity to the discussion without the intervening trolling.

People just need to avoid it as THEIR default choice. If you don't want to reference stuff in the 10 previous quotes -- pick the ONE you want and respond to that.

You do that by going to the post -- hitting the quote button. Then go to your edit box at the bottom of the page.. There will be a button for "Insert Quotes". Hit it .. A dialogue pops up, and you hit "Use Quotes".. The SINGLE quote will show in your edit box. Even if the post you took it from has a 10 level nested quote in it --- ONLY the last quote will be in your reply.

I find myself bailing out of threads due to the single letter width column effect...and the amount of time it takes to scroll.

It's easier to just not answer when one has to scroll forever. I find myself bailing threads just for that reason. Why bother?

Funny thing that. I don't like running nested quotes anymore than you Boedicca, but I will follow threads where that has happened. Because YOU are really in control of the post history. If a poster comes in and BREAKS the multi-post chain with a shorter quote stack -- RARELY does it come back. People are too lazy to go pick up a very OLD and much too long quote stack. So new posters can break that cycle in a thread.

Remember the default on the OLD forum was also nested quotes. But there was a limit (and it went slightly flaky dropping text) if the quote stack got too big...

I usually remove irrelevant quotes so as to make it easier to respond w/o all the chatter/b/g noise as a courtesy. When i get more comfortable w/ this board it will be just as easy to do i suspect

Actually Gismo doesn't really bother me too much, there's lots of crazies on this board (present company excluded of course). I'm almost ashamed to admit I sometimes had a bit of fun at his expense, but he's just so damn self-righteous.

Okay so I guess you manually deleted the posts you didn't want included? Good. However you do it as long as it works. I could see you were getting frustrated, as am I. I've played around a bit with quotes since D-Day and half the time I end up with irrational stuff hanging out there and my posts all messed up. I'm going to do some serious test posts. Shart seems to be one of the posters with the best control of quotes and post structure, I'm keeping an eye on how he does it. I consider myself fairly computer literate but sometimes it takes a while for things to seep thru my thick skull, but once it's there....I haven't looked too hard for a user manual on XenForo, have you heard of anything like that?

Not sure who you are asking, Smedley. Hopefully not me, cuz I suck at figuring out gadgetry. Pogo is a wealth of info, though.

First, consider the source. :rolleyes:
It's not possible to reduce posts to a single character. We tried that in a sandbox, got it up to about 25 levels.

Finally, reverse engineering (editing) is indeed the prescribed solution. We should all be editing out old context that is no longer needed for the point, as a habit. That will prevent monsters from growing. And as I keep noting, it will be the poster trying to make a point who suffers those slings and arrows, so it's in that poster's interest to do so.

Don't be an idiot. Threads that end up single file are all over the place. And to actually answer the question yes they are doing it on purpose.

Actually Gismo doesn't really bother me too much, there's lots of crazies on this board (present company excluded of course). I'm almost ashamed to admit I sometimes had a bit of fun at his expense, but he's just so damn self-righteous.

Okay so I guess you manually deleted the posts you didn't want included? Good. However you do it as long as it works. I could see you were getting frustrated, as am I. I've played around a bit with quotes since D-Day and half the time I end up with irrational stuff hanging out there and my posts all messed up. I'm going to do some serious test posts. Shart seems to be one of the posters with the best control of quotes and post structure, I'm keeping an eye on how he does it. I consider myself fairly computer literate but sometimes it takes a while for things to seep thru my thick skull, but once it's there....I haven't looked too hard for a user manual on XenForo, have you heard of anything like that?

I have to say, I quoted a post several hours ago that I just had to give up on. It went something like A quoted B quoted C quoted D but then B inserted a different quote from A to which C responded, and then that built up...
smiliegah.gif

-- no matter what I did I couldn't navigate it down even if I was willing to have the right name link to the wrong post. So I stripped everything down to 2 levels. It really wasn't that important. But it was impossible to navigate once it had been allowed to fester.

uncle-fester-light-bulb.jpg

That's why people gotta get a hold on this shit.

Here's an idea: how 'bout we bring back Negs, just for posters who carry quotes to the Nth dimension?

You mention default choice, is that a menu item somewhere?
Is there a spellchecker I haven't foud?
Is there a XenForo user manual?
I've got a list of dumb questions but I'll save them till I find a user manual or not. I guess I'll stop being lazy and get to googling.

First, consider the source. :rolleyes:
It's not possible to reduce posts to a single character. We tried that in a sandbox, got it up to about 25 levels.

Finally, reverse engineering (editing) is indeed the prescribed solution. We should all be editing out old context that is no longer needed for the point, as a habit. That will prevent monsters from growing. And as I keep noting, it will be the poster trying to make a point who suffers those slings and arrows, so it's in that poster's interest to do so.

Don't be an idiot. Threads that end up single file are all over the place. And to actually answer the question yes they are doing it on purpose.

I've seen threads --- especially in long conversations (even PMs) -- get to be one character wide. BUT -- that was at full screen window. If you MAGNIFY to get rid of the right hand 1/3, you WOULD have to go to at least 12 or 15 quote levels to get to one character.

If they are doing it on purpose, don't reply. That stacked quote cant grow on it's own. And the person screwing with you would have to quote themselves to keep it up..

Start a thread in FZ for making fun of Quote Qwackers. :lol:
Kinda like the Negs Laughing At thread, but this one is for those that are abusing the quote function just to make everything difficult to read.

Start a thread in FZ for making fun of Quote Qwackers. :lol:
Kinda like the Negs Laughing At thread, but this one is for those that are abusing the quote function just to make everything difficult to read.

That's what I did in the Nest Test. Actually Stats started it in the bug thread and I migrated it. We went on with it for a while to try to find a point where it would reduce to one character and couldn't do it after a couple dozen levels.

Oh you mean like "the repository of rat's nest posts to laugh at" copied from other threads?

You mention default choice, is that a menu item somewhere?
Is there a spellchecker I haven't foud?
Is there a XenForo user manual?
I've got a list of dumb questions but I'll save them till I find a user manual or not. I guess I'll stop being lazy and get to googling.

Choice of nested quotes (IIRC what CK said) is a plug-in option at the Application level. Not a user select.

After you type a mspelled word, the word will be underlined in RED. Right click on the underlined word for options to correct.

I ran across this link to a XenForo Users Forum while looking for a Moderators Manual (No -- CK did not send us to Carmel for a week of massage therapy and retraining).

User How-To Guide XenForo Community

In about the 2nd or 3rd post, there is a link to User PDF manual. Now I haven't tried to sign up for that forum, so I don't know if it's restricted just to purchasers.. But you could try...

Forum List

Back