The most racist state

2. Little Rock.

Little Rock is an awful place to live. Vandalism runs rampant. The fact that the city was built where 5 rivers meet coupled with the overall farm activity in the area makes it a breeding ground for respiratory problems. Traffic is poorly managed for a city its size. Education is typically lower than most cities that size. And, let's face it, most of the city is rundown and unappealing. If you get outside of Little Rock (i.e., Maumelle), it's not so bad.

But of all the cities, I can't believe you list Little Rock. It'd be in the Top 5 places I would never live. Northwest Arkansas, though, is #1 on places I would want to live. :cool:

The obvious answer to this thread is Mississippi. Their primary university uses the Rebel as their mascot, and when they were forced to retire the "Southern Gentleman" (which, let's face it, was a confederate soldier), they chose the black bear as their mascot. Not just any bear, but a BLACK bear. Their overcompensating for past mistakes is proof-positive of their racism. To top it off, their "black" bear is actually brown, just like black people are actually brown.

Or, maybe I just hate Mississippi. I saw we line the state border with nukes and see if we can sink it, creating Lake Mississippi: the world's largest inland body of toxic water.

I do ♥ Jacksonville.

I understand what you mean about northerners not making eye contact, Missourian, but it is just adaptive behavior. These are crowded cities, and the folksey greetings southerners give strangers on the street would freak anyone out if they got them a million times a day. People are pretty much people anywhere.

I also don't care all that much for NJ. It has some beautiful areas but most of it is just not a place I'd choose to live.

Miami and Chicago are both first market cities, IMO. I'd never consider living in either one unless I was extremely rich, because life for middle class people there is just way too hard.

If you love Jacksonville, you've got to try Mobile. I love it so much I vacation there.

I'll never get used to that adaptive behavior. It seems so unnatural to me it's unnerving. As least give me a smile while you're assessing my aggression potential. Not only will I think you're friendly...it has the added benefit of speeding your calculation if I smile back. :tongue:

I don't go to New England at all anymore, and haven't for the last 5 years or so. I miss New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Maine and Delaware...but it isn't worth going thru NY, NJ, MA, CT and MD to get to them.

Chicago is my favorite Mega-City. If there was ever the slimmest possibility I could live in a major metropolis, it would be Chicago.

NYC has cleaned up a lot since the 80's, but it is still the only city in America where I've had a car pass me by driving down the sidewalk.

Philly is still terrible, Pittsburgh too, but folks in general are much friendlier in Pittsburgh.

There was so many people & trash on the sidewalks in NYC when I was there that I do not see how you could ever drive a car on them. I got robbed in Philly by a gang of 10 or 12 thugs that I could see just after cashing a $3,000 check. I was alone & caught off guard when I walked away from the bank. I had no chance of taking them all on. I have been held-up 4 times before that but always managed to get the upper hand to get away or take them down. In Philly I was screwed. The suburbs were ok but the city was shit. Yea, Pittsburgh was a little better IMHO.

Last edited:
2. Little Rock.

Little Rock is an awful place to live. Vandalism runs rampant. The fact that the city was built where 5 rivers meet coupled with the overall farm activity in the area makes it a breeding ground for respiratory problems. Traffic is poorly managed for a city its size. Education is typically lower than most cities that size. And, let's face it, most of the city is rundown and unappealing. If you get outside of Little Rock (i.e., Maumelle), it's not so bad.

But of all the cities, I can't believe you list Little Rock. It'd be in the Top 5 places I would never live. Northwest Arkansas, though, is #1 on places I would want to live. :cool:

Compared to other cities, Little Rock is awesome. Other cities only dream that their biggest problem was vandalism.

US-62 west of Rogers isn't fit for buggy traffic, but 540 gets me home...at least to Bonita Springs, where Missouri needs to get with the program and finish US-71.

Last edited:
When I lived in Southern California I never met a black person and we were afraid of any black areas (not totally without reason) but when I moved to Arkansas the school was fully integrated and though there were still some racial discrimination against blacks and a little tension the interaction between the races was far more advanced.

God that is such boring post, I need a drink!

I do ♥ Jacksonville.

I understand what you mean about northerners not making eye contact, Missourian, but it is just adaptive behavior. These are crowded cities, and the folksey greetings southerners give strangers on the street would freak anyone out if they got them a million times a day. People are pretty much people anywhere.

I also don't care all that much for NJ. It has some beautiful areas but most of it is just not a place I'd choose to live.

Miami and Chicago are both first market cities, IMO. I'd never consider living in either one unless I was extremely rich, because life for middle class people there is just way too hard.

If you love Jacksonville, you've got to try Mobile. I love it so much I vacation there.

I'll never get used to that adaptive behavior. It seems so unnatural to me it's unnerving. As least give me a smile while you're assessing my aggression potential. Not only will I think you're friendly...it has the added benefit of speeding your calculation if I smile back. :tongue:

I don't go to New England at all anymore, and haven't for the last 5 years or so. I miss New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Maine and Delaware...but it isn't worth going thru NY, NJ, MA, CT and MD to get to them.

Chicago is my favorite Mega-City. If there was ever the slimmest possibility I could live in a major metropolis, it would be Chicago.

I moved to Florida from New York, amd one night I worked late. On my way to my car in the parking garage, a man said "hey" to me, making eye contact. In NY, this is the international signal for "You are gonna die a bad death NOW", so I peed myself and ran to my car. Next day I asked my boss if they could beef up security in the garage, and he got the whole story. I got a primer on Southern manners. I adapted, and I did like it, mostly. (I still hated being chatted up on line at the grocery and I detest being chatted up by wait staff and check out clerks; just lemme do the business transaction and be gone.)

Flash forward to my next move, to Cleveland. I was downtown shortly after I moved here and said hi to a man on the street, having acquired this habit after decades Down South. He chased me into the Public Library and I was stuck there, afraid to leave the guard's station for 15 minutes.

I wanna be safe on the street, first and foremost. Everything else is gravy.

I don't know if Hawaians are racist necessarily but I do know that they are pissed that people from the mainland come on their island and take their jobs, there are alot of Military people in Hawaii and their dependents come and take away jobs from the Natives, at least thats what I heard from the Hawaiians that I know.

Years ago I read how certain ethnic groups were among the most (fill in the trait here). I doubt that Soc book is still printed as we have moved away from these large stereotypes. But I will say that I find rural people the most racist, followed by those near or just above the poverty line. I am very white but those hillbillies scared me when I entered a small town in the late sixties -especially in the South. Change is scary for most people.

"To understand people's attitude about race you have to understand their attitudes about everything." Eric Foner quoting Winthrop Jordon in a recent Harper's magazine.

Book Foner was reviewing: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/History-White-People-Irvin-Painter/dp/0393049345/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The History of White People (9780393049343): Nell Irvin Painter: Books[/ame]

Race is a social construct. "A white woman can have a black child but a black woman cannot have a white child." Eric Foner

"In August 1851, William Dungey, a dark-skinned young man of Portuguese descent, married Joseph Spencer's sister. A family quarrel ensued, which became so bitter that in January 1855, Spencer claimed throughout the community that his brother-in-law, "Black Bill," was a Negro." Briefs23

White Over Black: American Attitudes Toward the Negro, 1550-1812[ame]http://www.amazon.com/White-Over-Black-Attitudes-1550-1812/dp/0807845507/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290440179&sr=1-1[/ame]

Last edited:
I definently agree that smaller towns are the most racist places, especially if their population is not used to seeing people of different racists. I will take my chances in any big city in this country over some backwoods town, I ran into small towns in California where the population was majority Mexican and they were as racist as a small town filled with rednecks was.

I definently agree that smaller towns are the most racist places, especially if their population is not used to seeing people of different racists. I will take my chances in any big city in this country over some backwoods town, I ran into small towns in California where the population was majority Mexican and they were as racist as a small town filled with rednecks was.

Freudian slip?

Compared to other cities, Little Rock is awesome. Other cities only dream that their biggest problem was vandalism.

Oops, you might want to see who's #15 on this newly released list:

Most Dangerous Cities 2010 - WalletPop

Those lists are crap...I've slept while parked on the streets of those cities...I trust my observations far more than I trust a list of statistics.

There are deceivers, and there are low down, dirty liars, and there are statisticians.

Freudian slip?

Lol yeah my bad, races.

Forum List

Back