The Irish... And Who Didn't 'Help' Them Succeed

I think the opposition to what bussing was doing would have been well called for. Don't you?

Busing did what it was intended to do...integrate the schools
bussing took kids from decent schools that were paid for by the local taxes and sent them to crap schools.
It was not good for the kids that who's parents chose a nice area to live in so they would have those nicer schools available to them.
and what it ended up doing was bringing the grade point average for many schools down.

In post Civil Rights America, there was still a lot of segregation

Communities would carve up community school districts in much the same way congressional districts are gerrymandered. A school district would be carved out to serve primarily black communities which enabled surrounding white communities to maintain all white schools

The courts did not buy it and ordered busing to ensure integration
and you think it fair to bus a kid for an hour day when he has a school in walking distance to the house.
I don't.
Those were the extreme cases which were trumpeted by Conservatives

What really happened was a school district would have four schools. One would be made up of rich white kids, two would be working class kids and the fourth would be black kids

When the courts asked why the schools were like that, the communities replied....that's just the way it worked out

The courts did not buy it and ordered busing until the districts were integrated
you know as well as I do that that is not how it worked.
or were you not school age during those years that white kids were having their schools stolen from them.

bussing took kids from decent schools that were paid for by the local taxes and sent them to crap schools.
It was not good for the kids that who's parents chose a nice area to live in so they would have those nicer schools available to them.
and what it ended up doing was bringing the grade point average for many schools down.

Communities would carve up community school districts in much the same way congressional districts are gerrymandered. A school district would be carved out to serve primarily black communities which enabled surrounding white communities to maintain all white schools

and you think it fair to bus a kid for an hour day when he has a school in walking distance to the house.
I don't.

What really happened was a school district would have four schools. One would be made up of rich white kids, two would be working class kids and the fourth would be black kids

When the courts asked why the schools were like that, the communities replied....that's just the way it worked out

The courts did not buy it and ordered busing until the districts were integrated
or were you not school age during those years that white kids were having their schools stolen from them.
What a typical far right drone comment, once again showing a far right reactionary can only be ideological and programmed, never able to use nuance and critical thinking.

I don't.

Their schools were not stolen

The courts merely told the lily white school districts that they were going to have to let everyone in

Read some history and if you did you might be able to understand the reason behind why.
Not just US history but the history of the world
Regarding the enslavement and degradation of a class of people.

The Irish pulled up their boots and went to work. Unlike a certain other faction that demand reparations, have been given every opportunity to better themselves through affirmative action and other programs and STILL can't make anything of themselves.

the irish weren't defined by the color of their skin or enslaved or forced to come here or segregated by law.

you're welcome
and the blacks today are here by choice. There are flights leaving all day every day.
so why after all this time are they still unable to make anything of themselves.

Thank you.
The crying from the lily whites is sickening.

I don't.

Their schools were not stolen

The courts merely told the lily white school districts that they were going to have to let everyone in

Oh no, those poor disadvantaged white kids.
no, how about, those parents that
how about the parents that sacrificed to put their kids into the best schools only to see those schools destroyed by those that had no interest in learning.
Prove your point with specifics. We are talking about those schools affected by busing.
I don't have to prove my point, I lived it. I know exactly what bullshit went down.

Today, in consideration of Saint Patrick's Day, a look at the journey of the Irish in America.

The Irish were the first ethnic minority in American cities, and their history shows the classic pattern of new comers to the urban economy, and society. Starting at the very bottom of the urban occupational ladder, with the men as laborers and the woman as maids. Housing was far worse than urban slums today. Thomas Sowell, "Ethnic America," chapter one.

And the Irish-Americans were pro-union, pro worker's rights, and ran the Democratic party.

And haven't you extolled the virtues of Anglo-Saxon Christianity (meaning Protestant) which is decidedly NOT the Irish?

And the Know-Nothing Party was the Progressive Party of the era.....virulently anti-Catholic.....exactly what FDR's very first pick for the Supreme Court was....a KKKer who hated Catholics and corrupted the Constitution.

Touché

Hardly

Know Nothings were as conservative as you could get
Anti-Catholic, anti Immigration

You post...and I prove you wrong....that's pretty much the Liberal- conservative pattern.

"...the party also distinguished itself by its opposition to slavery, support for an expansion of the rights of women, regulation of industry, and support of measures designed to improve the status of working people."
Stephen Taylor, "Progressive Nativism: The Know-Nothing Party in Massachusetts" Historical Journal of Massachusetts (2000) 28#2 pp 167-84

You must be sooooo embarrassed, huh?

The Know Nothings were 99% anti-immigrant and anti-Catholic. Nobody joined the Know Nothings because they wanted to see women vote

What we would call a Trump voter today

Stephen Taylor, "Progressive Nativism: The Know-Nothing Party in Massachusetts"Historical Journal of Massachusetts (2000) 28#2 pp 167-84

You can run, but you can't hide.

Progressives....the originators of the "Master Race" concept, the ones who advanced Eugenics, and who taught the Nazis.

Yup....you Progressives.

how about the parents that sacrificed to put their kids into the best schools only to see those schools destroyed by those that had no interest in learning.
Prove your point with specifics. We are talking about those schools affected by busing.
I don't have to prove my point, I lived it. I know exactly what bullshit went down.
No, you did not, and, no you don't. You lost the right to use your cred a long time ago, just like PC.

And the Irish-Americans were pro-union, pro worker's rights, and ran the Democratic party.

And haven't you extolled the virtues of Anglo-Saxon Christianity (meaning Protestant) which is decidedly NOT the Irish?

And the Know-Nothing Party was the Progressive Party of the era.....virulently anti-Catholic.....exactly what FDR's very first pick for the Supreme Court was....a KKKer who hated Catholics and corrupted the Constitution.

Touché
Hardly Know Nothings were as conservative as you could get
Anti-Catholic, anti Immigration
You post...and I prove you wrong....that's pretty much the Liberal- conservative pattern. "...the party also distinguished itself by its opposition to slavery, support for an expansion of the rights of women, regulation of industry, and support of measures designed to improve the status of working people."
Stephen Taylor, "Progressive Nativism: The Know-Nothing Party in Massachusetts" Historical Journal of Massachusetts (2000) 28#2 pp 167-84

You must be sooooo embarrassed, huh?

The Know Nothings were 99% anti-immigrant and anti-Catholic. Nobody joined the Know Nothings because they wanted to see women vote

What we would call a Trump voter today

Stephen Taylor, "Progressive Nativism: The Know-Nothing Party in Massachusetts"Historical Journal of Massachusetts (2000) 28#2 pp 167-84

You can run, but you can't hide.

Progressives....the originators of the "Master Race" concept, the ones who advanced Eugenics, and who taught the Nazis.

Yup....you Progressives.
The master race theory was proposed by carried out by hard right conservatives.

The Irish pulled up their boots and went to work. Unlike a certain other faction that demand reparations, have been given every opportunity to better themselves through affirmative action and other programs and STILL can't make anything of themselves.

To be fair, there was a difference.

the irish weren't defined by the color of their skin or enslaved or forced to come here or segregated by law.

you're welcome
and the blacks today are here by choice. There are flights leaving all day every day.
so why after all this time are they still unable to make anything of themselves.

you really should stop lumping all people together based upon your bigotry. the reality is that segregation existed less than 50 years ago. and institutional racism still exists.

but you're a bigot, you'd rather talk about all black people when i'm guessing not a single person of color is your friend.

you're welcome

you really should stop lumping all people together based upon your bigotry. the reality is that segregation existed less than 50 years ago. and institutional racism still exists.

but you're a bigot, you'd rather talk about all black people when i'm guessing not a single person of color is your friend.

He's a douchebag, but I'm guessing not a single English teacher is your friend.

you're welcome

"...you really should stop lumping all people together based upon your bigotry. the reality is that segregation existed less than 50 years ago."

And let's remember that the bigotry, segregation, and second-class citizenship was entirely fostered by the Democrat Party.
100%

1. 1966- Republican Spiro Agnew ran against Democrat segregationists George Mahoney for governor of Maryland. Agnew enacted some of the first laws in the nation against race discrimination in public housing. “Agnew signed the state's first open-housing laws and succeeded in getting the repeal of an anti-miscegenationlaw.” Spiro Agnew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2. 1957- Democrat Sam Ervin, another liberal luminary, instrumental in the destruction of anti-communist Republicans Joe McCarthy and Richard Nixon, told his fellow segregationists, and who led the Watergate investigation, said of the 1957 civil rights bill: “We’ve got to give the goddamned ******* something. We’re not gonna be able to get out of here until we’ve got some kind of ****** bill.’ Robert Caro, “Master of the Senate: The Years of Lyndon Johnson,” xv.
3. Here are the lies we’re up against: the Washington Post lies outright, describing Senator William Fulbright as “a progressive on racial issues.” Fulbright was a full-bore segregationist, voting against the 1957, 1960, 1964, and 1965 civil rights bills.
4. And another lie from the Leftist press: "In a category by itself is the Nineteenth Amendment backing women’s suffrage, voted by Congress in 1919, a move Wilson and others promoted." What can Obama expect from his last Congress?

It was the Republicans who wrestled women's suffrage from the Democrats....over their filibuster.

And PC's attempt revise history yet again (more than 2,000 times in fact) collapses the readership into hysterical laughter.

and how about kids whose parents sacrifice for them, help them achieve their best and those kids get shot for walking while black?

you're welcome

"...you really should stop lumping all people together based upon your bigotry. the reality is that segregation existed less than 50 years ago."

And let's remember that the bigotry, segregation, and second-class citizenship was entirely fostered by the Democrat Party.
100%

1. 1966- Republican Spiro Agnew ran against Democrat segregationists George Mahoney for governor of Maryland. Agnew enacted some of the first laws in the nation against race discrimination in public housing. “Agnew signed the state's first open-housing laws and succeeded in getting the repeal of an anti-miscegenationlaw.” Spiro Agnew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2. 1957- Democrat Sam Ervin, another liberal luminary, instrumental in the destruction of anti-communist Republicans Joe McCarthy and Richard Nixon, told his fellow segregationists, and who led the Watergate investigation, said of the 1957 civil rights bill: “We’ve got to give the goddamned ******* something. We’re not gonna be able to get out of here until we’ve got some kind of ****** bill.’ Robert Caro, “Master of the Senate: The Years of Lyndon Johnson,” xv.
3. Here are the lies we’re up against: the Washington Post lies outright, describing Senator William Fulbright as “a progressive on racial issues.” Fulbright was a full-bore segregationist, voting against the 1957, 1960, 1964, and 1965 civil rights bills.
4. And another lie from the Leftist press: "In a category by itself is the Nineteenth Amendment backing women’s suffrage, voted by Congress in 1919, a move Wilson and others promoted." What can Obama expect from his last Congress?

It was the Republicans who wrestled women's suffrage from the Democrats....over their filibuster.

nice cut and paste

and how about kids whose parents sacrifice for them, help them achieve their best and those kids get shot for walking while black?

I notice you used a 'funny' emoticon for post #176....but you were wise enough not to deny any of the four items therein.

Forum List

Back