The Irish... And Who Didn't 'Help' Them Succeed

Read the book White Cargo, it will tell you everything you need to know about the plight of the Irish in America

White Cargo: The Forgotten History of Britain’s White Slaves in America

KjOIEDCpxsQC

Have you seen anything in the posts with which you disagree?

Not really, my point is the Irish overcame bigotry and made their way...others seem to have a problem doing that regardless of all the "help" they have been given. It doesn't help the democrats use that very thing for votes, every time I hear a democrat wailing about the plight of the blacks I roll my eyes, they are the ones keeping them down
That lack of government help made my Irish ancestors succeed in the highest sense. I am so proud of us all. :thup:

19046d81976406410e59f9478980d98d.jpg

BTW, a little off topic here, but if nobody is aware of this, Savannah, GA is probably the best place to be on Saint Patricks Day. At least in this country.

Read the book White Cargo, it will tell you everything you need to know about the plight of the Irish in America

KjOIEDCpxsQC

Not really, my point is the Irish overcame bigotry and made their way...others seem to have a problem doing that regardless of all the "help" they have been given. It doesn't help the democrats use that very thing for votes, every time I hear a democrat wailing about the plight of the blacks I roll my eyes, they are the ones keeping them down
That lack of government help made my Irish ancestors succeed in the highest sense. I am so proud of us all. :thup:

"That lack of government help made my Irish ancestors succeed...."

I believe it was Nietzsche who said "that which doesn't kill me makes me stronger."
Seems to be the case.

7. Ignored, and tolerated at first, once the Irish filled Boston's slum districts, the native Protestant "population galvanized into what became known as the Know-Nothing Party."

Anti-Catholic hatred was palpable.

And Roosevelt, who authorized housing projects showed another side in nominating, as his first Supreme Court Justice, Hugo Black.....virulent anti-Catholic jurist....the one who insinuated 'separation of church and state' into the Constitution.

a. The Know-Nothing (Progressive) movement arose in response to an influx of migrants, and promised to "purify" American politics by limiting or ending the influence of Irish Catholics and other immigrants, thus reflecting nativist and anti-Catholic sentiment.... Mainly active from 1854 to 1856, the movement strove to curb immigration and naturalization, but met with little success. Membership was limited to Protestant men.... In spring 1854, the Know Nothings carried Boston,Salem, and other New England cities. They swept the state of Massachusetts in the fall 1854 elections, their biggest victory."
Know Nothing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. "...The avenues out of poverty and into the middle class were few. One was the church. There was always a need for more priests-

Another accepted career path was the police department, though it didn't pay particularly well.....

There was this "I wanted a job with a suit that didn't come equipped with a chauffeur's cap...." but other than running funeral homes and saloons, virtually no opportunities existed for the Irish in business above the level of clerk. The signs are still sold 'No Irish Need Apply..."
Carr, Op. Cit.

The Irish pulled up their boots and went to work. Unlike a certain other faction that demand reparations, have been given every opportunity to better themselves through affirmative action and other programs and STILL can't make anything of themselves.

Perhaps if the Irish in Ireland did that then their country wouldn't be a third world armpit.

How's the "refugee" situation in Germany? You clowns have been played

I work with them as a job, I get to see first hand what suffering they have endured, what horrors they have fled and iy highlights what heartless and evil ***** the people who bang on about them being a swarm of terrorists actually are.

The Irish pulled up their boots and went to work. Unlike a certain other faction that demand reparations, have been given every opportunity to better themselves through affirmative action and other programs and STILL can't make anything of themselves.

Perhaps if the Irish in Ireland did that then their country wouldn't be a third world armpit.

I work with them as a job, I get to see first hand what suffering they have endured, what horrors they have fled and iy highlights what heartless and evil ***** the people who bang on about them being a swarm of terrorists actually are.

Good gawd you're a stupid one, watch that your head doesn't become detached from your body

KjOIEDCpxsQC

I fully intend to document that, and show that, as is the usual case, Liberalism is a failure based on good intentions but a lack of understanding of human nature.

KjOIEDCpxsQC

The number one conservative myth.

Because you say it's a myth means nothing, you're constantly spewing shit about things you know little of

More white Americans get help from the government than do black Americans but people like you NEVER say that the white Americans are being 'held down'. Why is that? Other than the obvious reason...

What were black Americans given in the era of Irish immigration that the Irish weren't?

Oh, right, other than their freedom from slavery.

Watch your language, you fool.

What were black Americans given in the era of Irish immigration that the Irish weren't?

Listen very closely, Dumb Deer....I do not take you serious, in fact I think you're a complete moron. I also think you're a left loon but what irks me the most about you is your awful habit of spewing nonsense and trying to pawn it off as some sort of fact. You lost this argument when you called White Cargo a "myth"...I know better, now run along and try and snow someone else. Oh....and you're a fucking bore

LOL Germans...always starting shit and then getting their asses kicked

Listen very closely, Dumb Deer....I do not take you serious, in fact I think you're a complete moron. I also think you're a left loon but what irks me the most about you is your awful habit of spewing nonsense and trying to pawn it off as some sort of fact. You lost this argument when you called White Cargo a "myth"...I know better, now run along and try and snow someone else. Oh....and you're a fucking bore

The history of black slavery does not disappear just because you dug up a few so-called white slaves somewhere.

Fuck off sewage breath. Your thread is retarded.

Waiting...

My great-grandfather ran a saloon. Really. He was set up in business by his union after a mill (cotton) accident left him with an unusable hand. When he was doling out his things as death (at a very old age) he gave his son, my grandfather, a sign from the front of the saloon:

NO dogs or Irish

In that New England city the Irish had been brought in by the shipload to break a strike. Though in today's terms we'd call them "victims" themselves, they were ostracized for being there. Yes, that sort of immigration was legal at the time.

Somewhere along the line the sign got thrown out.

Probably just as well as my wife is 1/2 Irish.

My great-grandfather ran a saloon. Really. He was set up in business by his union after a mill (cotton) accident left him with an unusable hand. When he was doling out his things as death (at a very old age) he gave his son, my grandfather, a sign from the front of the saloon:

NO dogs or Irish

Somewhere along the line it got thrown out.

Probably just as well as my wife is 1/2 Irish.

Did we need to pass federal legislation to end discrimination against the Irish?

In fact there was no federal legislation.

All it took was sheer volume.

When the Irish became the majority of the wage-earners in that part of the country it was they who snapped the whip.

Until they (the Irish mill hands) went on strike and Portuguese were imported to take their jobs and the cycle repeated.

Forum List

Back