The Irish... And Who Didn't 'Help' Them Succeed

The Irish pulled up their boots and went to work. Unlike a certain other faction that demand reparations, have been given every opportunity to better themselves through affirmative action and other programs and STILL can't make anything of themselves.

I live in Mass. Do you want the real story of the Irish?

Cliff notes : other minorities took their place on the shit list . And once the Irish were in power , they were just as bad as those who discriminated against them .

Oh . And you can hide "irish ness". Many irish changed their names to avoid discrimination.

Arguably, conditions for the Irish were worse than that of black Americans.

9. The living conditions was readily conducive to violence, alcoholism, and crime. And the native population quickly moved out of neighborhoods en masse as the immigrants moved in. They were characterized as drunkards, brawlers, and incompetents.

a. “The first blacks to move into Harlem were middle-class Negroes who left the black enclave in mid-Manhattan around the turn of the century to get away from the Irish living nearby.”
Thomas Sowell, “Ethnic America,” p.39.

b. The Irish had similar relations with the Scotch-Irish, the Germans, the Italians, and the Jews.
Wittke, “The Irish in America,” p. 1183,189,190.

c. Their average life expectancy was forty years, thus the 19th century observation, “you seldom see a gray-haired Irishman.”

Here is where the "help" by Liberals differed in the course of the Irish population's success:
  1. For the Irish, their success took over a century before equality was achieved in income, IQ, occupations, and other socioeconomic indicia.
  2. Note: social acceptance came slowly, and followed achievements, rather than being a precondition.

In short.....said "help" by Liberals retarded the social mobility of African-Americans.

Today, in consideration of Saint Patrick's Day, a look at the journey of the Irish in America.

The Irish were the first ethnic minority in American cities, and their history shows the classic pattern of new comers to the urban economy, and society. Starting at the very bottom of the urban occupational ladder, with the men as laborers and the woman as maids. Housing was far worse than urban slums today. Thomas Sowell, "Ethnic America," chapter one.

"The French sociologist, Gustave de Beaumont, visited Ireland in 1835 and wrote: "I have seen the Indian in his forests, and the Negro in his chains, and thought, as I contemplated their pitiable condition, that I saw the very extreme of human wretchedness; but I did not then know the condition of unfortunate Ireland...In all countries, more or less, paupers may be discovered; but an entire nation of paupers is what was never seen until it was shown in Ireland." Slaves in the United States had a greater life expectancy than peasants in Ireland." The West Awake: Barry Clifford: The Democide Of Ireland In The 1800's

1. I wonder if any saw the 2015 film "Black Mass," based on the 2001 book Black Mass: The True Story of an Unholy Alliance Between the FBI and the Irish Mob by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neill. Pretty good flic....but couldn't show the depth of the corruption....
So I picked up a copy of Howie Carr's book, "The Brothers Bulger," same topic.

It is the story of arch criminal, serial killer, and gangland boss, 'Whitey' Bulger, and his brother, political boss, Billy Bulger, in Boston.

But, today being Saint Patrick's Day, this is not about Whitey...but about the Irish.
In the tale, Carr recounts a history of the journey of the Irish, fighting to succeed in a new land, and doing so on their own.
By that, I mean without the "help" of the Liberals, as that "help" was applied to African-Americans.

2. Ann Coulter writes: " It was the misfortune of black Americans that they were just on the verge of passing through the immigrant experience when damaging ideas about welfare and the lenient attitude about crime took hold. It could have happened to the Italians, Germans, Jews or Irish, but luckily for them, there were no Liberals around to “help” when they arrived.

a. In fact, black Americans were doing better in individual pursuits than many immigrants. Barone compared their American journey to the Irish: “Both rise smartly in hierarchies (government bureaucracies, the military) but haven't fared as well in free-market commerce.” http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/941114/archive_013670.htm

3. As to the Bulgers: "Their father, James, was raised in Bosnon's North End, where many of the city's Irish immigrants initially settled,....the Bulgers were poor. As they grew up, all of them, even Whitey, would seek jobs with the government. The Bulgers distrusted all types of private enterprise, perhaps because of a railroad accident in which their father, a third-generation laborer, caught his arm between two boxcars and had to have it amputated.

A straw boss explained that a one-armed laborer was of no further use and fired him. The railroad calculated the wages due him- up to the time he had fallen, mangled, to the cinder bed- paid him, and forgot him.

James Bulger Sr.'s predicament was a common-enough predicament in those days. Many Irish politicians wee raised in homes where the father was either dead or maimed after an industrial accident.

At that time, there were no disability pensions, no workman's comp, no doles of any sort. Life insurance was for the wealthy. If you were unable to work, your family was consigned to a life of poverty."
Carr, Op. Cit.

a. "After the accident, the Bulgers drifted from one apartment to another in Dorchester until 1938, when they heard about a new public housing project in South Boston called Old Colony Harbor, the second such public housing project in the nation." Ibid.

4. "Permanent, federally funded housing came into being in the United States as a part of Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal. Title II, Section 202 of the National Industrial Recovery Act, passed June 16, 1933, directed the Public Works Administration (PWA) to develop a program for the "construction, reconstruction, alteration, or repair under public regulation or control of low-cost housing and slum-clearance projects...".

Led by the Housing Division of the PWA and headed by architect Robert Kohn, the initial, Limited-Dividend Program aimed to provide low-interest loans to public or private groups to fund the construction of low-income housing..... between 1934 and 1937 the Housing Division, now headed by Colonel Horatio B. Hackett, constructed fifty-two housing projects across the United States, as well as Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Atlanta's Techwood Homes opened on 1 September 1936 and was the first of the fifty-two opened." Public housing in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Poverty, the open animosity of earlier immigrants....."No Irish Need Apply".....

Sounds familiar.
The black immigrant experience was different from Italian, German, Jewish, Irish, and almost every other immigrant group.

The difference was their family units were eliminated.

All those other groups retained and strengthened their family units, and it made all the difference.

What we saw in California through the late 80's and 90's with Cambodian refugees, who came from a war torn environment, is that they had crime/gang/domestic problems that none of the other Asian immigrant groups had.

What history shows us is that white people are SO racist that they even do it to Themsleves ! It's like racism is in their DNA !

In fact there was no federal legislation.

All it took was sheer volume.

When the Irish became the majority of the wage-earners in that part of the country it was they who snapped the whip.

Until they (the Irish mill hands) went on strike and Portuguese were imported to take their jobs and the cycle repeated.

So you concede that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was not some sort of special undeserved favoritism for black Americans.

What history shows us is that white people are SO racist that they even do it to Themsleves ! It's like racism is in their DNA !

Oh, no!

Another simpleton Liberal.

Racism! Racism!

1. "I grew up in segregation," says New York Times best-selling conservative author Shelby Steele, "so I really know what racism is. I went to a segregated school. I bow to no one in my knowledge of racism, which is one of the reasons why I say white privilege is not a problem....Racism is about eighteenth on a list of problems black America faces." --Angela McGlowan, “Bamboozled: How Americans Are Being Exploited By The Lies of The Liberal Agenda,” P.38-39

2. And the reason Liberals hate Ann Coulter....she nails you professional whiners:

Thrilled with their role as ‘white friend-of-the-blacks,’ many found that they could actually make a living at it! The part requires sneering at nonexistent racists, and memorizing one line:
“Goddam it, this may cost me my career but I’m going to speak up for racial equality and let the chips fall where they may!”

lol, if slavery was so great for blacks, as PC keeps insisting with cut and pastes that slyly suggest the same,

maybe we should institute slavery for poor white people...you know...

give them a chance to reap the benefits of enslavement and help them catch up with the black people.

Oh, no!

Racism! Racism!

1. "I grew up in segregation," says New York Times best-selling conservative author Shelby Steele, "so I really know what racism is. I went to a segregated school. I bow to no one in my knowledge of racism, which is one of the reasons why I say white privilege is not a problem....Racism is about eighteenth on a list of problems black America faces." --Angela McGlowan, “Bamboozled: How Americans Are Being Exploited By The Lies of The Liberal Agenda,” P.38-39

2. And the reason Liberals hate Ann Coulter....she nails you professional whiners:

Thrilled with their role as ‘white friend-of-the-blacks,’ many found that they could actually make a living at it! The part requires sneering at nonexistent racists, and memorizing one line:
“Goddam it, this may cost me my career but I’m going to speak up for racial equality and let the chips fall where they may!”

Uhhhhh YOU started this thread. It's about racism.

Who's the simpleton ?

Oh, no!

Racism! Racism!

Who's the simpleton ?

No it isn't.

It's about Liberals messing up.

And....if you missed my point....you're the simpleton: all you can do is bloviate about imaginary 'racism.'

Here's why:

1. 'Democrats are heavily dependent on the black vote. That’s an opportunity for the GOP.
The black vote has become important enough to the Democratic party that a small drop in support could make a big difference.

in the 1992 election, 13 percent of the Democratic vote came from black voters. In 2014, it was 23 percent.

If there'd been a one-point swing from Obama to McCain in North Carolina in 2008, McCain would have won the state. And if the black vote in Florida and Ohio in 2012 had been as strong for the Republicans as it was in 2004 -- in the pre-Obama era -- Romney would have won both."
Democrats are heavily dependent on the black vote. That’s an opportunity for the GOP.

2. "...what would happen if a smaller percentage of blacks turned out:

- At 90 percent black turn-out, Wisconsin’s 10 electoral votes slide into the GOP column.

- At 75 percent black turn-out, Pennsylvania’s 21 electoral votes go Republican.

- At 70 percent Michigan’s 17 electoral votes turn from blue to red.

- At 50 percent the GOP collects Delawre’s three electoral votes.

I don’t know what a realistic number to project is for the effects of angry black apathy, but I’ll stop at 50 percent. It may be that going as low as 75 percent is unrealistic. Most likely it’s impossible to say. (And this doesn’t take into account things like congressional districts where black voters make the margin of difference.)"
Do Democrats need the black vote? | RobertEmmet

And this is why the party of slavery, segregation and second-class citizenship for minorities suddenly....after blocking every civil rights bill.....including every anti-lynching bills....suddenly saw the light in 1964.

Now...post how you have learned the truth...and you'll be on the road to not being a simpleton.

BTW.....I taught you this....too, didn't I:
Obama is the first President never to have had a year of 3% or better economic growth: "...annual growth during Obama’s “recovery” has never topped 3%. By comparison, it never fell below 3% during the Reagan recovery. And in the nine years following the 1990-91 recession, GDP grew faster than 3% in all but two. Heck, even Jimmy Carter had some strong growth years." http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/with-gdp-downgrade-obama-growth-gap-expands/

a. "The years since 2007 have been a macroeconomic disaster for the United States of a magnitude unprecedented since the Great Depression." Obama: Always Wrong, Never In Doubt

b. "....first president since Hoover to never have a single year above 3% GDP growth." Obama economy is 'amazing,' says hedge fund billionaire

I can't hear you!

Last edited:
Read the book White Cargo, it will tell you everything you need to know about the plight of the Irish in America

White Cargo: The Forgotten History of Britain’s White Slaves in America

KjOIEDCpxsQC

Just Google "Irish and New Basin Street Canal"

It's deplorable.

10. "When the Irish began arriving in the 1840s, they brought with them no native entrepreneurial skills. They were subsistence farmers in a one-crop economy. Generations after the potato blight, successful businessmen like Joseph P. Kennedy were few and far between.....

This was the world into which Billy and Whitey [Bulger] were born- a clannish, suspicious society that viewed success as somehow un-Catholic, un-Irish. ...Those who dreamed of rising above their station were derided as 'two-toilet Irish."
Carr, Op. Cit.

a. Two-toilet Irish: Slang for "white-trash with high class attitudes."

b. And another cultural similarity found in some immigrnt groups:
".... rising above their station were derided..." When crabs are caught they are put in a pot withouth a cover.....because any that attempt to climb out are pulled back by other crabbs ":...African American posses that crab barell business mentality..." The Crab Barrel Business Mentality of African Americans [Archive] - iZania Black Networking Community

11. Ann Coulter writes: " It was the misfortune of black Americans that they were just on the verge of passing through the immigrant experience when damaging ideas about welfare and the lenient attitude about crime took hold. It could have happened to the Italians, Germans, Jews or Irish, but luckily for them, there were no Liberals around to “help” when they arrived."

In so many ways one can find similar experience in Howie Carr's description of the Irish immigrant, to that of black Americans.

That last comment....other Irish putting down those who aspired to a better life, echoes this similarity....

"Here we go again. A black woman (see photo at right) has articulately battled the idea that using standard English is "acting white" in avideo that has gone viral of late, andJamelle Bouie at Slatehas called her out for propagating a myth that black students devalue school. In the eighties, (black) anthropologist John Ogbuwith Signithia Fordham argued that black kids underperform in school partly because those who behave scholarly are teased as being "white," such that often fitting in means letting one's grades slip. And indeed, legions of nerdy black kids are familiar with black peers saying "Why are you working so hard on that school stuff? You think you're white?" 'Acting White' Remains a Barrier for Black Education

In an earlier book, "Losing the Race," McWhorter tells of a similar incident in his life.

What was the significant difference in the Irish experience? They didn't have Liberals "helping"....so they did it themselves.

The Irish pulled up their boots and went to work. Unlike a certain other faction that demand reparations, have been given every opportunity to better themselves through affirmative action and other programs and STILL can't make anything of themselves.

I live in Mass. Do you want the real story of the Irish?

Cliff notes : other minorities took their place on the shit list . And once the Irish were in power , they were just as bad as those who discriminated against them .

Oh . And you can hide "irish ness". Many irish changed their names to avoid discrimination.

LOL Sit down Mr Seuss, you've never been right about a damn thing

There is still residual hatred for the British among hard core Irish descendants. From the Roman times to the end of the 19th century the landlord British treated the Irish as a sub species. After the British starved them out during the potato famine, the Irish that emigrated to the U.S. were used as cannon fodder in the Civil War. Far from becoming bitter the Irish overcame hostility and abuse and racism. The myth of the fighting drunken Irish still persists even in the unofficial logo of the Notre Dame football program. (the fighting Irish) even though most of the team is Black.

Ann Coulter writes...

First off Ann Coulter is a hack pulp writer.

Secondly, it was of great advantage to Irish immigrants that their Brythonic brethren had been represented in seats of power by the time great waves came here as refugees of the famine--casual discrimination, and economic hardship notwithstanding. They were able to assimilate with relative ease.

Andrew Jackson's parents were immigrants from that land, after all.

There is still residual hatred for the British among hard core Irish descendants. From the Roman times to the end of the 19th century the landlord British treated the Irish as a sub species. After the British starved them out during the potato famine, the Irish that emigrated to the U.S. were used as cannon fodder in the Civil War. Far from becoming bitter the Irish overcame hostility and abuse and racism. The myth of the fighting drunken Irish still persists even in the unofficial logo of the Notre Dame football program. (the fighting Irish) even though most of the team is Black.

Until my Grandfather died he called British, black and tans, he despised the British

Oh, no!

Racism! Racism!

Who's the simpleton ?

No it isn't.

And....if you missed my point....you're the simpleton: all you can do is bloviate about imaginary 'racism.'

Here's why:

1. 'Democrats are heavily dependent on the black vote. That’s an opportunity for the GOP.
The black vote has become important enough to the Democratic party that a small drop in support could make a big difference.

in the 1992 election, 13 percent of the Democratic vote came from black voters. In 2014, it was 23 percent.

If there'd been a one-point swing from Obama to McCain in North Carolina in 2008, McCain would have won the state. And if the black vote in Florida and Ohio in 2012 had been as strong for the Republicans as it was in 2004 -- in the pre-Obama era -- Romney would have won both."
Democrats are heavily dependent on the black vote. That’s an opportunity for the GOP.

- At 90 percent black turn-out, Wisconsin’s 10 electoral votes slide into the GOP column.

- At 75 percent black turn-out, Pennsylvania’s 21 electoral votes go Republican.

I don’t know what a realistic number to project is for the effects of angry black apathy, but I’ll stop at 50 percent. It may be that going as low as 75 percent is unrealistic. Most likely it’s impossible to say. (And this doesn’t take into account things like congressional districts where black voters make the margin of difference.)"

And this is why the party of slavery, segregation and second-class citizenship for minorities suddenly....after blocking every civil rights bill.....including every anti-lynching bills....suddenly saw the light in 1964.

Now...post how you have learned the truth...and you'll be on the road to not being a simpleton.

Obama is the first President never to have had a year of 3% or better economic growth: "...annual growth during Obama’s “recovery” has never topped 3%. By comparison, it never fell below 3% during the Reagan recovery. And in the nine years following the 1990-91 recession, GDP grew faster than 3% in all but two. Heck, even Jimmy Carter had some strong growth years." http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/with-gdp-downgrade-obama-growth-gap-expands/

a. "The years since 2007 have been a macroeconomic disaster for the United States of a magnitude unprecedented since the Great Depression." Obama: Always Wrong, Never In Doubt

b. "....first president since Hoover to never have a single year above 3% GDP growth." Obama economy is 'amazing,' says hedge fund billionaire

I can't hear you!

More of your cut n place lies .

I already proved to you the 3% Gdp thing is a lie .

By the way . The Irish in the U.S. are liberals . You think when they unionized it was the conservatives helping them out ?

Ann Coulter writes...

First off Ann Coulter is a hack pulp writer.

Secondly, it was of great advantage to Irish immigrants that their Brythonic brethren had been represented in seats of power by the time great waves came here as refugees of the famine--casual discrimination, and economic hardship notwithstanding. They were able to assimilate with relative ease.

Andrew Jackson's parents were immigrants from that land, after all.

1. How would you know? You've never read any of her scholarly best sellers.....
With all that hot air....you should change your avi to 'The Hindenburg'

2. "They were able to assimilate with relative ease."
Strike two.

1. They rose slowly….over generations. Their first successes were in politics. It started in the mid-19th century, and within a few decades, they became dominant in big city “machines” in Boston, New York, and other metropolitan areas.
    1. And while this brought prosperity and prominence to a few, it had little impact on the lives of most Irish-Americans. In the 1890’s most of the men were still laborers, and the women, domestics.
  2. How about the Kennedys? The first arrived in 1848, a laborer. He lived and he died a laborer. Edward Banfield, “The Unheavenly City,” p. 58.
    1. But- his son was successful enough to send the grandson to college. That grandson was Joseph P. Kennedy, and he made a fortune that enabled the great-grandsons to achieve …a certain level of success in politics.
  3. For the Irish, their success took over a century before equality was achieved in income, IQ, occupations, and other socioeconomic indicia.
  4. Note: social acceptance came slowly, and followed achievements, rather than being a precondition.

Oh, no!

Racism! Racism!

Who's the simpleton ?

No it isn't.

Here's why:

Obama is the first President never to have had a year of 3% or better economic growth: "...annual growth during Obama’s “recovery” has never topped 3%. By comparison, it never fell below 3% during the Reagan recovery. And in the nine years following the 1990-91 recession, GDP grew faster than 3% in all but two. Heck, even Jimmy Carter had some strong growth years." President Obama’s Growth Gap Hits $1.31 Trillion

I can't hear you!

By the way . The Irish in the U.S. are liberals . You think when they unionized it was the conservatives helping them out ?

ROFLMAO

Oh, no!

Racism! Racism!

Who's the simpleton ?

No it isn't.

Here's why:

Obama is the first President never to have had a year of 3% or better economic growth: "...annual growth during Obama’s “recovery” has never topped 3%. By comparison, it never fell below 3% during the Reagan recovery. And in the nine years following the 1990-91 recession, GDP grew faster than 3% in all but two. Heck, even Jimmy Carter had some strong growth years." President Obama’s Growth Gap Hits $1.31 Trillion

I can't hear you!

Oh, no!

Racism! Racism!

Who's the simpleton ?

No it isn't.

Here's why:

I can't hear you!

Sooo happy you said that.....now I can rub your face in it again:

1. "....first president since Hoover to never have a single year above 3% GDP growth."Obama economy is 'amazing,' says hedge fund billionaire

That was CNN stating that.

united-states-gdp-growth-annual.png

United States GDP Annual Growth Rate | 1948-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar

3. "On Friday, the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) reported that 2015 U.S. real GDP (RGDP) growth was 2.38%. No matter what revisions are subsequently made, 2015 will have been the tenth year in a row that RGDP growth came in at under 3.0%. The longest previous such run in U.S. economic history was only four years, and the last time that this happened was during the Great Depression (1930 - 1933).
Barack Obama's Sad Record on Economic Growth | RealClearMarkets

4. (CNSNews.com) - The United States has now gone a record 10 straight years without 3 percent growth in real Gross Domestic Product, according to data released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis.

The BEA has calculated GDP for each year going back to 1929 and it has calculated the inflation-adjusted annual change in GDP (in constant 2009 dollars) from 1930 forward.

In the 85 years for which BEA has calculated the annual change in real GDP there is only one ten-year stretch—2006 through 2015—when the annual growth in real GDP never hit 3 percent. During the last ten years, real annual growth in GDP peaked in 2006 at 2.7 percent. It has never been that high again, according to the BEA.

U.S. Has Record 10th Straight Year Without 3% Growth in GDP

Speak up , simpleton.

Forum List

Back