The Ethics of Capital Punishment

More importantly, it is morally wrong.

The same could be said of abortion, and that society has the responsibility to protect life, all of which is sacred, but I don't see many pro-choicers who like to look at that side of the issue.

My only issue with capital punishment is that there have been innocent people executed by the state.

IMO the term reasonable doubt should not be used in a capital case and we had better be 100% beyond all shadow of a doubt certain of a person's guilt before we execute them.

Those are my thoughts exactly.

Ethics, let's think about war, and terrorism. Were do ETHICS fit in there? Capitol
punishment is a trivial distraction.

Ethics, let's think about war, and terrorism. Were do ETHICS fit in there? Capitol
punishment is a trivial distraction.

Compared to war, it is. But if one considers that wars are often fought over human rights issues, it's relevant.

More importantly, it is morally wrong.

The same could be said of abortion, and that society has the responsibility to protect life, all of which is sacred, but I don't see many pro-choicers who like to look at that side of the issue.

I'm a pro-choicer and I do look at it from that side of the issue. I'm pro-choice AND anti-abortion.

I don't know if you understand that at all.

I said one appeal. This bull shit of appealing the appeal is stupid. Sorry you were sentenced to die... you lost the appeal.

Get the shot and put it down.

The justice system is fallible. The appeals process is necessary. For your sake, I'm glad it's complex and takes time. You're trigger happy.

I did not say the appeals process is not necessary now did i? I have said and maintain.... one appeal.

And that's it.

If you win your appeal... you get a second trial. If not... get the shot. That is not trigger happy.

Yes, it is. Study the appeals process and you will see why it is necessary. I'm sure YOU don't want an innocent person to die either.

The justice system is fallible. The appeals process is necessary. For your sake, I'm glad it's complex and takes time. You're trigger happy.

I did not say the appeals process is not necessary now did i? I have said and maintain.... one appeal.

And that's it.

If you win your appeal... you get a second trial. If not... get the shot. That is not trigger happy.

Yes, it is. Study the appeals process and you will see why it is necessary. I'm sure YOU don't want an innocent person to die either.

One appeal.

I am really sorry you have a personal iron in this fire sky. But i will say again..... ill push his drugs too. He conspired to kill a guard. I don't care what he claims....he is guilty as fucking hell and deserves to die.

And that's it.

One appeal.

I am really sorry you have a personal iron in this fire sky. But i will say again..... ill push his drugs too. He conspired to kill a guard. I don't care what he claims....he is guilty as fucking hell and deserves to die.

What are you talking about? I didn't bring up Jarvis Masters. I was a death penalty abolitionist long before ever knowing Jarvis.

This post of yours is out of left field.

I'm not discussing Jarvis' case any more. Please take my remarks at face value and stay on topic.

Last edited:
You and I disagree on capital punishment. I'm an abolitionist. LWOP is forfeiting life without state sanctioned murder.

Life without the possibility of parole.... is NOT forfeiting their life.

They breathe air. That is life. Everything else they get is a bonus.

LWOP is ONLY forfeiting their freedom.

The get to read books and see movies
They get to interact with people, both inside and out side of prison.
They get to jack off every night
They get to watch TV
They get to eat
They get to have an education
They get to continue carry out their criminal activities
They get to grow old

The list is endless. But good try.

I don't care how long your list is. It is morally wrong for the state to punish a murderer by murdering him. We should hold to a higher standard than the criminal.

we do.

we give them a trial.

see how that works?

"After working with inmates for more than a decade, I found peace in my loss. I worked with a faith-based program aimed at helping inmates understand the impact of crime on the individual. In addition, I have helped with spiritual retreats in a state prison and a juvenile correctional facility.

Working in the prison, my faith was renewed, and I came to understand how similar I was to the inmates we were helping. It was then there that I learned to forgive the men who killed my mother. Later, I made a conscious choice to stand against the death penalty. I knew it was wrong and permanent imprisonment was a viable alternative.

I believe that money spent to finance death penalty cases could be used to help crime victims with bereavement costs, burial fees and counseling. Also, that money could be spent to solve cold cases, like my mother’s.

I do believe in justice, but I don’t believe in the death penalty. I also believe if one innocent person is put to death at the hand of the state that is one person too many."

Murder Victims' Families for Reconciliation

Stockholm syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"After working with inmates for more than a decade, I found peace in my loss. I worked with a faith-based program aimed at helping inmates understand the impact of crime on the individual. In addition, I have helped with spiritual retreats in a state prison and a juvenile correctional facility.

Working in the prison, my faith was renewed, and I came to understand how similar I was to the inmates we were helping. It was then there that I learned to forgive the men who killed my mother. Later, I made a conscious choice to stand against the death penalty. I knew it was wrong and permanent imprisonment was a viable alternative.

I believe that money spent to finance death penalty cases could be used to help crime victims with bereavement costs, burial fees and counseling. Also, that money could be spent to solve cold cases, like my mother’s.

I do believe in justice, but I don’t believe in the death penalty. I also believe if one innocent person is put to death at the hand of the state that is one person too many."

Murder Victims' Families for Reconciliation

Stockholm syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's not relevant.

On July 10, Carlton Akee Turner is scheduled to be put to death in Texas for the murder of his adoptive parents when he was 19 years old. A majority of the victims’ relatives are speaking out against the execution.

Victim Tonya Carlton's brother, Kelly Johnson, wrote in a petition to the Board of Pardons and Paroles, “I do not wish to see my sister’s only child executed. I believe in my heart that my sister would only have wanted Akee to receive the help that he needed to restore his mind to a sound state.”

Tonya’s first cousin and close friend Krishell Colemen said, “I don’t think Carlton [the defendant] should be executed. I don’t want him to be executed. Now that I know more of the details that led to the murders, I realize that he needs help. Killing him is just another murder. Nothing is going to bring my cousin back. Killing him will just hurt our family again, the way Tonya and Carlton’s murders did.”
Victims' Families Petition Against Texas Man's Execution | Death Penalty Information Center

The death penalty is often justified in the name of the victim’s families. Advocates claim that it will bring justice and closure. However, true justice is something we can never achieve, as we can never have our daughter back. In our view, the lengthy process of trials, appeals and anticipated execution would only impede coming to terms with our horrible loss. If closure means healing, that healing must come from within, not from the fate of the murderer.

We believe the man who killed our daughter must be held fully accountable. He cannot be trusted to be free in society again without continuing supervision. However, further feelings of him would give him a hold on our life that we do not wish to grant. We have no control over what happened to our daughter but we can choose how we respond. We know what Laura would want. We lost our daughter and life as we knew it, we do not intend to lose our values too.

We understand that victims who oppose the death penalty are frequently marginalized and ignored by the court, thereby perpetuating the harm. In our case, we were fortunate to meet with the District Attorney regarding our feelings and were assured that the death penalty would not be sought even though the special circumstances of multiple and premeditated murder might have applied. Our daughter’s killer was found to be not guilty by reason of insanity, and committed to a state mental hospital. We agree completely with this outcome.

Death Penalty : Parents of Murdered Daughter Speak Out Against the Death Penalty

One appeal.

What are you talking about? I didn't bring up Jarvis Masters. I was a death penalty abolitionist long before ever knowing Jarvis.

I'm not discussing Jarvis' case any more. Please take my remarks at face value and stay on topic.

Justice is served when these sentenced to death are put to death.

One appeal.

What if they didn't do the crime for which they were convicted?

it happens.

She doesn't give a shit if innocent people are executed.

Forum List

Back