The Ethics of Capital Punishment

Whether you like it or not, we have a full appeals process. It takes a long time. Since you're sitting back there with your revenge trip, it must be frustrating for you.

I know that sky. So you should be happy, they get to live a bit longer, use up more tax dollars, breath the air of a living person that they have denied to others.

i really don't care how long it takes. Just so long as the sentence is carried out and they are put to death.

That is ethically wrong. State sanctioned pre-meditated revenge murder is wrong. I do NOTwant my tax payer dollars going for it.

Nobody is going to kill in my name.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38H5ML_PITY]Whoop-Dee-Goddamn-Dee-Doo! - YouTube[/ame]

Nelson Mandela, Gandhi and Aung Sang Suu Kyi were imprisoned for a long time. If you opt to execute ANYONE who happens to be imprisoned you will kill decent people, and people who are wrongly convicted.

I only want the ones on death row executed. Though i would not complain if the rest of the general population were dead.

This country does not put people in jail for their political beliefs or to silence people.. Get over it.

People of color are far more likely to be executed than white people, especially if the victim is white. A policy of state-authorized killings is immoral.

I really dont care if they are green with pink spots and purple eyes. If they are tried and convicted. and given the death penalty... put them to death

But, if you would like a quota system put into place to make you happy i am sure a few evil white people can be throw onto death row to make you happy and your ratio even out.

It is certainly NOT justice when the wrongly convicted are executed.
Sure, but it certainly is justice when the rightly convicted are executed.

I disagree. There is no justice when a person is murdered. The taking of the life of a convicted murderer will not bring the victim back.

Many victim families do not support the death penalty.

People of color are far more likely to be executed than white people.
justice-and-race2.jpg

The taking of the life of a convicted murderer will not bring the victim back.
If a little girls mother is raped and murdered, can we kill the guy so the little girl can sleep better at night?

An eye for an eye. Right or wrong?

I say it is wrong.

All human life is sacred. Society has a moral obligation to protect human life, not take it. The death penalty harms society by cheapening the value of life. Allowing the state to inflict death on certain of its citizens legitimizes the taking of life. The death of anyone, even a convicted killer, diminishes us all. Society has a duty to end this practice which causes such harm, yet produces little in the way of benefits.

I am against capital punishment for the same reason I'm against abortion, I value life.

However, there are very rare instances in both circumstances where I am willing to concede that my value of life may have to be set aside. As far as capital punishment its when we have solid, irrefutable proof, of heinous crimes such as murder/child rape/stuff like that. As far as abortion if the life of the mother is definately at a high risk or if the individual was impregnated by someone who raped them.

Other than that I am against the death penalty/abortion.

Notice I tie the two together.....I do this because, to me, it is hypocritical to say your against the death penalty in case innocent people are put to death while being ok with aborting an innocent life in the womb and vise-versa.

If a little girls mother is raped and murdered, can we kill the guy so the little girl can sleep better at night?

This is a dangerous thing... to assume we know what is best at this point in time, considering. Perhaps in killing the assailant we are preventing the little girl to develop her psychological cycle... Sometimes that will prove much more to the betterment of society as a whole rather than the swift and sharp punishment of a blade.

It isn't a popular stance... and then yet neither seem to be adequate in and of themselves alone.

It really reminds me of the differences between the depths of 'Magic, Mysticism, and Hasidism...' vs the Islamic/Muslim sword... The Kabbalah vs. the Quran. Perhaps we would be the wiser if 'we' were to pay more attention to those things as a whole nation instead of so readily shunning them thinking 'we' know best.

It is certainly NOT justice when the wrongly convicted are executed.
Sure, but it certainly is justice when the rightly convicted are executed.

I disagree. There is no justice when a person is murdered. The taking of the life of a convicted murderer will not bring the victim back.

Many victim families do not support the death penalty.

In your opinion there is no justice. I disagree. In allowing a murder to live it mocks the victims.

Putting them to death will not bring the victim back... it will however make him pay for his crimes..

Justice would be death the same way the murder dealt it out.

Would you take a traumatized little girl who has lost her mother in such a horrific way and describe how you were going to kill her mother's murderer?

Killiing the murderer will not make the child heal. It may give her even more nightmares.

Would you take a traumatized little girl who has lost her mother in such a horrific way and describe how you were going to kill her mother's murderer?

Killiing the murderer will not make the child heal. It may give her even more nightmares.

how do you know it wont heal the child? I know if my mother was murdered i would want that fuck fried!

If he was alive.... I would have nightmares that my mothers killer was still out there .

Why do you have so much empathy for murderers?

how do you know it wont heal the child? I know if my mother was murdered i would want that fuck fried!

If he was alive.... I would have nightmares that my mothers killer was still out there .
How do you know it would help a little, traumatized girl to witness or hear about another murder? Yes, I get it that YOU are completely into harsh punishment and killing. I get it that YOU would find killing comforting. I doubt a small child would.

I know something about what helps traumatized children, and it NOT stories of execution.

Last edited:
People of color are far more likely to be executed than white people.
[/IMG]
Sky lied

Let me find the resource for you that I based my statement on.

"In 82% of the studies [reviewed], race of the victim was found to influence the likelihood of being charged with capital murder or receiving the death penalty, i.e., those who murdered whites were found more likely to be sentenced to death than those who murdered blacks."
- United States General Accounting Office, Death Penalty Sentencing, February 1990
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-death-row-inmates-executed-1976

Now take it back. I'm not a liar. Here is the resource on which I based my statement. I will find more resources.

BLACK
1,358 41.77%
LATINO
394 12.12%
WHITE
1,420 43.68%
OTHER
79 2.43%

(Death Row Population Figures from NAACP-LDF "Death Row USA (January 1, 2011)" More people on death row that are people of color than whites.

Last edited:
Sometimes the best way to protect the innocent human lives is to end the evil ones.

Yes human lives are presious, why do some take others lives? Do they then deserve to live?
they have wasted their lives anyway by becoming murders imho.

The results of two new studies which underscore the continuing injustice of racism in the application of the death penalty are being released through this report. The first study documents the infectious presence of racism in the death penalty, and demonstrates that this problem has not slackened with time, nor is it restricted to a single region of the country. The other study identifies one of the potential causes for this continuing crisis: those who are making the critical death penalty decisions in this country are almost exclusively white.

The Death Penalty in Black and White: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Decides | Death Penalty Information Center

Why do you have so much empathy for murderers?

Maybe it's because she's a professional victim?

Forum List

Back