The Ethics of Capital Punishment

An eye for an eye. Right or wrong?

I say it is wrong.

All human life is sacred. Society has a moral obligation to protect human life, not take it. The death penalty harms society by cheapening the value of life. Allowing the state to inflict death on certain of its citizens legitimizes the taking of life. The death of anyone, even a convicted killer, diminishes us all. Society has a duty to end this practice which causes such harm, yet produces little in the way of benefits.

I agree, all human life is sacred.

however...

If you take a life or are involved in taking a life or commit some horrible crime..... you fortifier all rights to your life. If the taking of life is just fine and dandy... be prepared to have that very same visited upon you.

Its called getting as good as you gave.

Eye for eye.... you better believe it. :thup:

Killing every person on death row would not diminish me one bit. Hand me the plunger and ill push the drugs.

You and I disagree on capital punishment. I'm an abolitionist. LWOP is forfeiting life without state sanctioned murder.

I say it is wrong.

All human life is sacred. Society has a moral obligation to protect human life, not take it. The death penalty harms society by cheapening the value of life. Allowing the state to inflict death on certain of its citizens legitimizes the taking of life. The death of anyone, even a convicted killer, diminishes us all. Society has a duty to end this practice which causes such harm, yet produces little in the way of benefits.

however...

If you take a life or are involved in taking a life or commit some horrible crime..... you fortifier all rights to your life. If the taking of life is just fine and dandy... be prepared to have that very same visited upon you.

Killing every person on death row would not diminish me one bit. Hand me the plunger and ill push the drugs.

You and I disagree on capital punishment. I'm an abolitionist. LWOP is forfeiting life without state sanctioned murder.

Life without the possibility of parole.... is NOT forfeiting their life.

They breathe air. That is life. Everything else they get is a bonus.

LWOP is ONLY forfeiting their freedom.

The get to read books and see movies
They get to interact with people, both inside and out side of prison.
They get to jack off every night
They get to watch TV
They get to eat
They get to have an education
They get to continue carry out their criminal activities
They get to grow old

The list is endless. But good try.

however...

They get to watch TV
They get to eat
They get to grow old

I don't care how long your list is. It is morally wrong for the state to punish a murderer by murdering him. We should hold to a higher standard than the criminal.

I'm opposed to capital punishment. No matter whether it would be ethical if carried out ideally, it is moot because it is not carried out ideally. Rich people can save themselves from it and too many people have been exonerated of the crimes which put them on death row. How many haven't been exonerated who should have been? To some it doesn't matter. To me it does.

I'm opposed to solitary confinement. Driving a person out of his mind is inhumane.

Secure, austere prisons ... that I would find acceptable. I know that a lot of liberals would find austerity inhumane, so I don't know the right solution.

And that's where this lay person sits on the subject of crime and punishment.

Nice theory. Does not work in practice. While I agree that we should do more to ensure that money can't buy the DP off the table, I also feel we should no execute anyone who is seriously mentally incapacitated. However, I do think there are circumstances where the DP is the only justice. Particularly, those who murder children and police officers. Children, clearly, because they are the most vulnerable of our society and police officers because they put their lives on the line for us.

I think there are far too many people on Death Row who probably should not be there. But that does not mean I disagree with it as an option.

They get to watch TV
They get to eat
They get to grow old

I don't care how long your list is. It is morally wrong for the state to punish a murderer by murdering him. We should hold to a higher standard than the criminal.

When you move to planet earth, let us know. We'll throw a 'welcome to the neighborhood party'.

idiot.

They get to watch TV
They get to eat
They get to grow old

When you move to planet earth, let us know. We'll throw a 'welcome to the neighborhood party'.

idiot.

There are plenty of crime victims who are opposed to the death penalty. How they feel, is that by killing the perpetrator it worsens their suffering.

I'll go find a link, but not for you, Ms Ugly Mouth.

MVFR members help their friends, co-workers, media and policymakers understand the negative impact that capital punishment has on the families of murder victims and the executed.
http://www.mvfr.org/

Last edited:

idiot.

There are plenty of crime victims who are opposed to the death penalty. How they feel, is that by killing the perpetrator it worsens their suffering.

Murder Victims' Families for Reconciliation

I don't waste time reading dumb assed links from dumb asses.

Victims, like others, are individuals. If you could learn that, you'd be half way to reaching an IQ over 30.

For every victim that you have opposing, there are plenty more supporting. Idiot.

"After working with inmates for more than a decade, I found peace in my loss. I worked with a faith-based program aimed at helping inmates understand the impact of crime on the individual. In addition, I have helped with spiritual retreats in a state prison and a juvenile correctional facility.

Working in the prison, my faith was renewed, and I came to understand how similar I was to the inmates we were helping. It was then there that I learned to forgive the men who killed my mother. Later, I made a conscious choice to stand against the death penalty. I knew it was wrong and permanent imprisonment was a viable alternative.

I believe that money spent to finance death penalty cases could be used to help crime victims with bereavement costs, burial fees and counseling. Also, that money could be spent to solve cold cases, like my mother’s.

I do believe in justice, but I don’t believe in the death penalty. I also believe if one innocent person is put to death at the hand of the state that is one person too many."

They get to watch TV
They get to eat
They get to grow old

You think it is morally wrong. I think it is morally right.

Criminals fortifier all rights. That includes the right of being considered a human being. Their crimes lower THEM to the level of a rabid dog. I have no issue for putting a rabid dog down.

When New Jersey abolished the death penalty in 2007 and New Mexico did in 2009, each did so with the support of co-victims. In Connecticut, the Legislature’s joint Judiciary Committee has now approved a bill that would repeal that state’s death penalty, again with the support of victims’ families.

The family members say that rather than providing emotional closure, the long appeals process in death penalty cases is actually prolonging their suffering. They also say it wastes money and unjustifiably elevates some murders above others in importance. In an open letter to the Connecticut Legislature, relatives of murder victims — 76 parents, children and others — wrote that “the death penalty, rather than preventing violence, only perpetuates it and inflicts further pain on survivors.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/30/opinion/30sat3.html

They get to watch TV
They get to eat
They get to grow old

Criminals fortifier all rights. That includes the right of being considered a human being. Their crimes lower THEM to the level of a rabid dog. I have no issue for putting a rabid dog down.

Yes, I understand that is your view. I even agree that some people do not appear human at all.

I oppose capital punishment. Period.

idiot.

MVFR members help their friends, co-workers, media and policymakers understand the negative impact that capital punishment has on the families of murder victims and the executed.

And their are plenty of crime victims who are just fine with the death plenty. There are plenty of family members of victims how suffer just as much knowing that a criminal is alive while their loved ones are dead.

The victims families wants or desires should have no bearing on punishment handed down by the state. End of story.

Yes, I understand that is your view. I even agree that some people do not appear human at all.

I oppose capital punishment. Period.

And i think we need to carry out death plenty sentences one year from the date it is handed out.

I would have them all dead. Period.

idiot.

And their are plenty of crime victims who are just fine with the death plenty. There are plenty of family members of victims how suffer just as much knowing that a criminal is alive while their loved ones are dead.

The victims families wants or desires should have no bearing on punishment handed down by the state. End of story.

End of story. Sounds like you're no longer open to discussing this topic.

I could say the same thing for you sky. You are just as much closed minded on this subject as i am.

Hopefully you will never be the victim or any of your loved ones be the victim of a murder.... or anyone who conspires to murder.

I could say the same thing for you sky. You are just as much closed minded on this subject as i am.

Hopefully you will never be the victim or any of your loved ones be the victim of a murder.... or anyone who conspires to murder.

How do you know I'm not?

I don't consider discussion an agenda to change someone else's mind. That's where we differ. As far as you're concerned there is nothing further we have to say to one another.

Unless I come over to your camp, what's to talk about? Right?

That is one limitation of forums. The constant agenda to win someone over to your point of view. I don't care if you go to your grave advocating the death penalty. I will go to mine opposing it.

Last edited:

How do you know I'm not?

We have had this discussion before, sky. Look at post #2.

How do you know I'm not?

We have had this discussion before, sky. Look at post #2.

OK. Nothing more to talk about. Unless I go over to your camp, you're not interested in discussing this topic.

Gotcha.

Bye.

For anyone else there is a lot to discuss. For one thing, the racism of the capital punishment system. Since 1977, blacks and whites have been the victims of murders in almost equal numbers, yet 80% of the people executed in that period were convicted of murders involving white victims.

Last edited:

How do you know I'm not?

I don't consider discussion an agenda to change someone else's mind. That's where we differ. As far as you're concerned there is nothing further we have to say to one another.

Unless I come over to your camp, what's to talk about? Right?

That is one limitation of forums. The constant agenda to win someone over to your point of view. I don't care if you go to your grave advocating the death penalty. I will go to mine opposing it.

I was of the opinion we were having a discussion.

You brought families who want murders to live

I brought up families who want the fucker to fry.

I also brought up the fact that families opinion have no bearing on punishment that is handed down by society.

I say it is wrong.

No, the death penalty executes murderers.

Forum List

Back