The Constitution and the Minimum Wage

The Constitution is what the Supreme Court say it is.
So the delegates to the constitutional convention had not idea what they were writing?
The state ratifying conventions had no idea what they were ratifying?

Regent was right. When it comes to the Constitution of the United States, the document means exactly what the United States Supreme Court (SCOTUS) says it means. What you or I or anyone else thinks it means is irrelevant. The founding fathers may have written the words, but SCOTUS is tasked with interpreting the document, and there is no appeal from their decision. In other words, their case law IS the Constitution

There are many examples, but I will give you just one for now. There is nothing in the Constitution that remotely addresses the issue of abortion. So, how could a woman have a Constitutional right to an abortion when the Document is silent regarding the matter? The answer is Roe versus Wade … case law.

It gets even stranger. The case law which gave a woman the right to an abortion was based upon a right of privacy which was also created by case law! There is no mention of a right to privacy in the Constitution, and the SCOTUS said as much. The Court basically opined that although there was no language specific to a right to privacy, there was “penumbra” effect” of the articulated rights which included an unspoken right of privacy. The SCOTUS created a right to privacy even though no such provision was articulated in the Constitution. The following are the relevant portions of GRISWOLD v. CONNECTICUT – 381 U.S. 470 (decided June 7, 1965).

I do agree that the concept of liberty protects those personal rights that are fundamental, and is not confined to the specific terms of the Bill of Rights. My conclusion that the concept of liberty is not so restricted and that it embraces the right of marital privacy though that right is not mentioned explicitly in the Constitution is supported both by numerous decisions of this Court, referred to in the Court's opinion, and by the language and history of the Ninth Amendment. In reaching the conclusion that the right of marital privacy is protected, as being within the protected penumbra of specific guarantees of the Bill of Rights, the Court refers to the Ninth Amendment, I add these words to emphasize the relevance of that Amendment to the Court's holding” (highlights my own).

“Although the Constitution does not speak in so many words of the right of privacy in marriage, I cannot believe that it offers these fundamental rights no protection. The fact that no particular provision of the Constitution explicitly forbids the State from disrupting the traditional relation of the family - a relation as old and as fundamental as our entire civilization -surely does not show that the Government was meant to have the power to do so. Rather, as the Ninth Amendment expressly recognizes, there are fundamental personal rights such as this one, which are protected from abridgment by the Government though not specifically mentioned in the Constitution” (Highlights my own).

The Court talks about a constitutional 'right of privacy' as though there is some constitutional provision or provisions forbidding any law ever to be passed which might abridge the 'privacy' of individuals. But there is not. There are, of course, guarantees in certain specific constitutional provisions which are designed in part to protect privacy at certain times and places with respect to certain activities. Such, for example, is the Fourth Amendment's guarantee against 'unreasonable searches and seizures.'" (Justices Black's dissenting opinion Joined by Justice Stewart, highlights my own).

Conclusion: It was not what the founding fathers wrote that granted women the right to abortion; rather it was the decision of the SCOTUS. Did the framers of the Constitution believe in a constitutional right to abortion as opposed to leaving the issue to the individual states to resolve? I don't have a clue. Nor does anyone else.

So the delegates to the constitutional convention had not idea what they were writing?

Regent was right. When it comes to the Constitution of the United States, the document means exactly what the United States Supreme Court (SCOTUS) says it means. What you or I or anyone else thinks it means is irrelevant. The founding fathers may have written the words, but SCOTUS is tasked with interpreting the document, and there is no appeal from their decision. In other words, their case law IS the Constitution

There are many examples, but I will give you just one for now. There is nothing in the Constitution that remotely addresses the issue of abortion. So, how could a woman have a Constitutional right to an abortion when the Document is silent regarding the matter? The answer is Roe versus Wade … case law.

It gets even stranger. The case law which gave a woman the right to an abortion was based upon a right of privacy which was also created by case law! There is no mention of a right to privacy in the Constitution, and the SCOTUS said as much. The Court basically opined that although there was no language specific to a right to privacy, there was “penumbra” effect” of the articulated rights which included an unspoken right of privacy. The SCOTUS created a right to privacy even though no such provision was articulated in the Constitution. The following are the relevant portions of GRISWOLD v. CONNECTICUT – 381 U.S. 470 (decided June 7, 1965).

I do agree that the concept of liberty protects those personal rights that are fundamental, and is not confined to the specific terms of the Bill of Rights. My conclusion that the concept of liberty is not so restricted and that it embraces the right of marital privacy though that right is not mentioned explicitly in the Constitution is supported both by numerous decisions of this Court, referred to in the Court's opinion, and by the language and history of the Ninth Amendment. In reaching the conclusion that the right of marital privacy is protected, as being within the protected penumbra of specific guarantees of the Bill of Rights, the Court refers to the Ninth Amendment, I add these words to emphasize the relevance of that Amendment to the Court's holding” (highlights my own).

“Although the Constitution does not speak in so many words of the right of privacy in marriage, I cannot believe that it offers these fundamental rights no protection. The fact that no particular provision of the Constitution explicitly forbids the State from disrupting the traditional relation of the family - a relation as old and as fundamental as our entire civilization -surely does not show that the Government was meant to have the power to do so. Rather, as the Ninth Amendment expressly recognizes, there are fundamental personal rights such as this one, which are protected from abridgment by the Government though not specifically mentioned in the Constitution” (Highlights my own).

The Court talks about a constitutional 'right of privacy' as though there is some constitutional provision or provisions forbidding any law ever to be passed which might abridge the 'privacy' of individuals. But there is not. There are, of course, guarantees in certain specific constitutional provisions which are designed in part to protect privacy at certain times and places with respect to certain activities. Such, for example, is the Fourth Amendment's guarantee against 'unreasonable searches and seizures.'" (Justices Black's dissenting opinion Joined by Justice Stewart, highlights my own).

Conclusion: It was not what the founding fathers wrote that granted women the right to abortion; rather it was the decision of the SCOTUS. Did the framers of the Constitution believe in a constitutional right to abortion as opposed to leaving the issue to the individual states to resolve? I don't have a clue. Nor does anyone else.
I have a clue, but it is only a clue so I could be wrong. The clue is the 10th ammendment which I paraphrase as stating that powers not given to the federal goverment are given to the states and the people.

I have a clue, but it is only a clue so I could be wrong. The clue is the 10th ammendment which I paraphrase as stating that powers not given to the federal goverment are given to the states and the people.

Good point!

It's still not a guarantee just like the 15th didn't guarantee blacks the ability to vote.

There are no guarantees. It simply said a State couldn't use sex as a way to limit voting. States proved they could get around what you call a guarantee with Jim Crow laws. Are you willing to say every woman that wanted to vote after the 19th Amendment was able to vote?
Well please take this issue up with the official historical website that I linked to in the previous post. Millions of people are being misinformed and it is you civil duty as an American to correct this.

Someone needs to take it up with whatever dumbass you had as a teacher that taught you that it did. I bet you think Lincoln freed the slaves, too.
Well, I suggest you get the official national archives corrected before you start working on the high school teachers. Good news, my high school history teacher has long retired so you don't really need to bother with him.

You're the result of his inadequacy in teaching.
From the national archives website that I linked earlier.

"Passed by Congress June 4, 1919, and ratified on August 18, 1920, the 19th amendment guarantees all American women the right to vote. Achieving this milestone required a lengthy and difficult struggle; victory took decades of agitation and protest. Beginning in the mid-19th century, several generations of woman suffrage supporters lectured, wrote, marched, lobbied, and practiced civil disobedience to achieve what many Americans considered a radical change of the Constitution. Few early supporters lived to see final victory in 1920."

It guarantees a state can't use sex as a means by which they can refuse to let someone vote. Read what the Amendment says not what some academic wrote dumbing it down for an idiot like you.

High school textbooks says Lincoln freed the slaves. Do you believe that?

Well please take this issue up with the official historical website that I linked to in the previous post. Millions of people are being misinformed and it is you civil duty as an American to correct this.

Someone needs to take it up with whatever dumbass you had as a teacher that taught you that it did. I bet you think Lincoln freed the slaves, too.
Well, I suggest you get the official national archives corrected before you start working on the high school teachers. Good news, my high school history teacher has long retired so you don't really need to bother with him.

"Passed by Congress June 4, 1919, and ratified on August 18, 1920, the 19th amendment guarantees all American women the right to vote. Achieving this milestone required a lengthy and difficult struggle; victory took decades of agitation and protest. Beginning in the mid-19th century, several generations of woman suffrage supporters lectured, wrote, marched, lobbied, and practiced civil disobedience to achieve what many Americans considered a radical change of the Constitution. Few early supporters lived to see final victory in 1920."

It guarantees a state can't use sex as a means by which they can refuse to let someone vote. Read what the Amendment says not what some academic wrote dumbing it down for an idiot like you.

Before the ammendment some/most of the states denied women the right to vote. After the ammendment women in all of the states could legally vote. Cause and effect! You are nit-picking this thing to death.

You have many academics/historians to correct. The official U.S. government archives, most U.S. history text books have it all wrong according to you. I guess I will just continue being an idiot as you call me. You are such a nice and polite person.

Last edited:
The Ninth Amendment to the Constitution tells us, basically, that the enumeration of certain rights in the Constitution is not meant to imply that these are ALL of the "constitutional" rights that Americans have. Hence, we have the right to own, buy, and sell property, the right to move from place to place, and so on.

And certainly one of the rights the People retain in this country is the right to contract freely with others for goods and services, provided that what is contracted for is not illegal (e.g., a contract to burn a house down, or to execute someone).

Therefore, I maintain that we all have a "constitutional" right to sell our effort and services to anyone else we want, on any terms and conditions we might choose to stipulate.

So, for example, if I am in need to a place to live, I might arrange with the owner of an apartment building to get the use of an apartment in exchange for performing janitorial services and maintenance on the building. No money changes hands. This is perfectly legal, and in fact the imputed rent savings is taxable "income" for me.

But minimum wage laws trample all over the right of contract. If I have certain work that I want to have done by someone else, and I find someone who is willing and able to do that work for the wage that I'm willing to pay, where does the U.S. Federal government get the power to tell us - both of us - that this contract may not be consummated? Are MW laws "regulation of interstate commerce"? Of course not! Someone is sweeping off the sidewalk in front of my store for $5. It's $5 that I am willing to pay, the he is willing to accept, in exchange for the work. We will both pay the applicable taxes in due course.

In addition to being economically stupid, Federal minimum wage laws are unconstitutional.

And of course, (a) if a "higher" minimum wage is a good idea, why are you taking many years to implement it? Why not immediately? and (b) If $15 is good, then why not $20 or $25? Wouldn't that be better?

Agreed. But the sad fact is that most voters don't recognize the importance of economic freedom.

The founding fathers may have written the words, but SCOTUS is tasked with interpreting the document, and there is no appeal from their decision.

Wrong. Congress has two options. They can either write another law that is worded differently and hope that the Supreme Court lets it stand, or they can pass a constitutional amendment. If a constitutional amendment is passed, the Supreme Court has no way to overturn it.

The people, of course, can override the SCOTUS anytime they choose via simple non-compliance..

Before the ammendment some/most of the states denied women the right to vote. After the ammendment women in all of the states could legally vote. Cause and effect! You are nit-picking this thing to death.

You have many academics/historians to correct. The official U.S. government archives, most U.S. history text books have it all wrong according to you. I guess I will just continue being an idiot as you call me. You are such a nice and polite person.

The 19th Amendment didn't grant women the right to vote no matter how simple minded you want to make it. The wording of the Amendment didn't use the word "women" or "female".

If you believe that the 19th Amendment claims what you say it claims, are you willing to say that the 15th amendment, something worded the same as with race/color/previous servitude rather than sex as the condition meant all blacks could legally vote?

You'll continue being an idiot because you think the way you do.

I'm nice or polite to someone unwilling to learn. If you want to be stupid, I'll treat you the way stupid people need to be treated.

The 19th Amendment didn't grant women the right to vote no matter how simple minded you want to make it. The wording of the Amendment didn't use the word "women" or "female".

If you believe that the 19th Amendment claims what you say it claims, are you willing to say that the 15th amendment, something worded the same as with race/color/previous servitude rather than sex as the condition meant all blacks could legally vote?

I'm nice or polite to someone unwilling to learn. If you want to be stupid, I'll treat you the way stupid people need to be treated.

Oh my goodness! I'm expecting Allen Funk to show up anytime to tell me that we are on candid camera. Your argument is looney. The two sexes are male and female. Prior to the 15th ammendment women in most of the states were denied voting purely base on sex, because they were not men, because they were women. The 15th ammendment put an end to this.

Go ahead and insult me again ( because I know you will want to have the last word), and then go away.

Oh my goodness! I'm expecting Allen Funk to show up anytime to tell me that we are on candid camera. Your argument is looney. The two sexes are male and female. Prior to the 15th ammendment women in most of the states were denied voting purely base on sex, because they were not men, because they were women. The 15th ammendment put an end to this.

Go ahead and insult me again ( because I know you will want to have the last word), and then go away.

You don't know which amendment is which.

My argument refutes any claim you have that the 19th Amendment granted the right to women to vote. It didn't grant women the right to vote it only stated sex could not be used as a means to keep people from voting. Read it, moron.

My argument refutes any claim you have that the 19th Amendment granted the right to women to vote. It didn't grant women the right to vote it only stated sex could not be used as a means to keep people from voting. Read it, moron.

Thanks. You finally corrected me on something. You are right, it's the 19th.

And since sex was previously a means of keeping women from voting, it in effect gave women the right to vote by removing that obstacle.

I'm sorry that this very simple logic excapes you. You are trying to split a hair that is too thin to split.

Last edited:

Thanks. You finally corrected me on something.

And since sex was previously a means of keeping women from voting, it in effect gave women the right to vote by removing that obstacle.

I'm sorry that this very simple logic excapes you. You are trying to split a hair that is too thin to split.

I'm trying to educate someone that apparently doesn't want to be educated.

Still think Lincoln freed the slaves and the 15th amendment granted blacks the right to vote?

Still think Lincoln freed the slaves and the 15th amendment granted blacks the right to vote?

Go find some professional historians to educate since they don't see eye to eye with you on this either.

Go find some professional historians to educate since they don't see eye to eye with you on this either.

No need. I already understand how it works. You don't and don't want to learn. Continue to go through life as a dumbass. It's a choice you made.

No need. I already understand how it works. You don't and don't want to learn. Continue to go through life as a dumbass. It's a choice you made.
No need because you know historians will laugh their asses off if you try to tell them that the 19th Ammendment did not enable woman's suffrage.

No need because you know historians will laugh their asses off if you try to tell them that the 19th Ammendment did not enable woman's suffrage.

You keep changing words with different meanings. You first said granted then you changed to guaranteed. Now you say enable. You don't know what you believe yet want the rest of us to accept what you say. What a fucking dumb piece of shit you are. It's wonder you ever graduated high school as stupid as you are. Seems social promotion in order to not hurt your feelings was in place.

You keep changing words with different meanings. You first said granted then you changed to guaranteed. Now you say enable. You don't know what you believe yet want the rest of us to accept what you say. What a fucking dumb piece of shit you are. It's wonder you ever graduated high school as stupid as you are. Seems social promotion in order to not hurt your feelings was in place.
Who is us? Do you have a rodent in your pocket? You are splitting hairs dude. You are a lone voice trying to convince me that I am wrong. You are so obsessed with exact words that you don't have the ability to use deductive reasoning. If there were women that didn't have the right to vote based on sex....because they were women and the passage of the 19 ammendment prevented people ( including women) from being denied to vote based on sex, then the 19th ammendment granted women the right to vote. Instead of using the word "granted" there are plenty of synonyms that I can use in its place that will work.

With your splitting of hairs, you did make some valid points. Many states, especially those out west had already established women's suffrage. There were still other states that allowed women to vote only in certain types of elections. There were still other states that simply did not allow women to vote. The 19th ammendment put all the states on the same page concerning women's suffrage. So, for the sake of splitting hairs, the 19th ammendment resulted in women gaining the right to vote in some states. In other states, women already had the right to vote. Oh no! I'm describing the effects of the 19th ammendment without using the exact words. Well dude, the English language is very versitile. Now take your pompos ass and F-off.

Last edited:
The founding fathers may have written the words, but SCOTUS is tasked with interpreting the document, and there is no appeal from their decision.

Wrong. Congress has two options. They can either write another law that is worded differently and hope that the Supreme Court lets it stand, or they can pass a constitutional amendment. If a constitutional amendment is passed, the Supreme Court has no way to overturn it.

The people, of course, can override the SCOTUS anytime they choose via simple non-compliance..

You are conveniently forgetting the process for having an Amendment ratified and added to the constitution.

The amendment must be passed by a 2/3 majority in both the house and senate. Following that, 3/4 of the state legislatures must approve the amendment. No changes may be made to the amendment once passed by the US Legislature. The Constitution does not stipulate a time limit but seven years has been accepted as a reasonable time.

Forum List

Back