The Book of Mormon Challenge

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Avatar4321, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    I’ve been thinking about this forthe past few days. We’ve been having more conversations about Mormonism, mostly because of the election cycle and there is a lot of misinformation about thebeliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some of the misinformation is intentional. Most, though, I think is because people just don’t know accurate information about the Church. The best place to start finding good information is The Book of Mormon.

Here is some background on the Book of Mormon: It’s an abridged record of ancient prophets who lived in America during a similar time period as the Bible. It records the history of their dealings with God, The Doctrines of Christ, the testimony many had of Christ, an account of Christ’s post-resurrection Ministry among the people, and the destruction of several nations. The final prophets, Mormon and Moroni, compiled the book and it was later translated by the power of God through Joseph Smith Jr.

Paul told the Thessalonians to “Prove all things. Hold fast that which is good.” (1 Thessalonians 5:21). The Book of Mormon should be tested. And the best way to test it is to read what it says and understand the message found in it. There is a unique promise found inthe Book of Mormon that is not found in any other book that I know about. And that is this:

And so, that is my challenge forevery one of you who reads this. Take the challenge. Read the Book of Mormonfor yourself all the way through from cover to cover. You can get one for free. You can also read it online.

Once you read it do the following:

1)Ponder in your mind and heart and think about what you’ve read and the tender mercies of the Lord. Try to understand the message being taught.
    2)Humble yourself before God
    3)Ask the Lord with a sincere heart and real intent whether the Book of Mormon is true or not.
    4)Believe that Christ can reveal to you whether it’s true or not.

I can promise you that God will reveal to you the truth. I understand some of you may be skeptical, but I invite you to experiment with an open mind. You have nothing to lose by taking the challenge. If it’s true, you have a new resource in your life to turn to through which you can learn about God and Christ and the covenants He makes with man. If it isn’t, you’ve learned more accurate information about what Mormons believe and why. Either way, you will become a better person for it.

I can tell you that my life has been completely changed since I took this challenge seriously and sought to learn what was in the Book of Mormon and sought God to find out His will in things. It was one of the best decisions in my life. It was only by the power of the Holy Ghost that I came to know it was true. The Holy Ghost will reveal it to you as well

That’s the challenge I have for you. You can take it or not. All I ask is that if you do, you see it all the way through.

2. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    I have read the book, but to be honest (and I don't mean to offend anyone) I find Joseph Smith's story entirely lacking in credibility.

I have a lot of respect for Mormons as people, who I have always found to be great people, but I think the basis for the religion is very weak.

3. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    Unlike the Bible, there's no archaeological evidence for any of stories found in the Book of Mormon. It, like the Bible, has lessons for how to live one's life, but as history it's totally made up.

4. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +592
    I presume the Book of Mormon as delivered to Joseph Smith by Moroni was in some unknown or ancient language as Smith claims to have translated it into English.

Why did he translate it into old English, using the Ye's and Thee's like the King James Bible has, and not American english contemporary with his times?

5. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Too bad Mormons don't use cliff notes when they teach us about their religion.

HEY--avatar is converting people. I knew that christians turn evangelical at some point in their religious lives. I'll think I will keep my ignorance, thank you very much.
    Let see

Mormons ride Bikes
    Jehovah witness walk around
    And Baptists condemns them all.

That is all I need to know about Christianity! :tongue:

6. Jimmy_Jam

Jimmy_Jam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hmm. I wonder why I feel like I'm being proselytized.

I read some of it. It seemed about as likely an ancient history as The Lord of the Rings.

7. Jimmy_Jam

Jimmy_Jam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Because he wanted it to sound "biblical," of course.

8. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    There is also the issue of Jesus apparently visiting the States that I find particularly bonkers.

9. Papageorgio

Papageorgio The Ultimate Winner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,520
    I agree, they seem sincere in their beliefs, there are a few I don't like, however, most are nice.

10. Kiki Cannoli

Kiki Cannoli Have you met my shadow?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +839
    I respect all believers and their beliefs.

But i do not believe any of it.

Just wish they'd respect my beliefs .