The Book of Mormon Challenge

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I’ve been thinking about this forthe past few days. We’ve been having more conversations about Mormonism, mostly because of the election cycle and there is a lot of misinformation about thebeliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some of the misinformation is intentional. Most, though, I think is because people just don’t know accurate information about the Church. The best place to start finding good information is The Book of Mormon.

Here is some background on the Book of Mormon: It’s an abridged record of ancient prophets who lived in America during a similar time period as the Bible. It records the history of their dealings with God, The Doctrines of Christ, the testimony many had of Christ, an account of Christ’s post-resurrection Ministry among the people, and the destruction of several nations. The final prophets, Mormon and Moroni, compiled the book and it was later translated by the power of God through Joseph Smith Jr.

Paul told the Thessalonians to “Prove all things. Hold fast that which is good.” (1 Thessalonians 5:21). The Book of Mormon should be tested. And the best way to test it is to read what it says and understand the message found in it. There is a unique promise found inthe Book of Mormon that is not found in any other book that I know about. And that is this:

“Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

“And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

“And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.” (Moroni 10:3-5).

And so, that is my challenge forevery one of you who reads this. Take the challenge. Read the Book of Mormonfor yourself all the way through from cover to cover. You can get one for free. You can also read it online.

Once you read it do the following:

1)Ponder in your mind and heart and think about what you’ve read and the tender mercies of the Lord. Try to understand the message being taught.
2)Humble yourself before God
3)Ask the Lord with a sincere heart and real intent whether the Book of Mormon is true or not.
4)Believe that Christ can reveal to you whether it’s true or not.

I can promise you that God will reveal to you the truth. I understand some of you may be skeptical, but I invite you to experiment with an open mind. You have nothing to lose by taking the challenge. If it’s true, you have a new resource in your life to turn to through which you can learn about God and Christ and the covenants He makes with man. If it isn’t, you’ve learned more accurate information about what Mormons believe and why. Either way, you will become a better person for it.

I can tell you that my life has been completely changed since I took this challenge seriously and sought to learn what was in the Book of Mormon and sought God to find out His will in things. It was one of the best decisions in my life. It was only by the power of the Holy Ghost that I came to know it was true. The Holy Ghost will reveal it to you as well

That’s the challenge I have for you. You can take it or not. All I ask is that if you do, you see it all the way through.

I have read the book, but to be honest (and I don't mean to offend anyone) I find Joseph Smith's story entirely lacking in credibility.

I have a lot of respect for Mormons as people, who I have always found to be great people, but I think the basis for the religion is very weak.

Unlike the Bible, there's no archaeological evidence for any of stories found in the Book of Mormon. It, like the Bible, has lessons for how to live one's life, but as history it's totally made up.

I presume the Book of Mormon as delivered to Joseph Smith by Moroni was in some unknown or ancient language as Smith claims to have translated it into English.

Why did he translate it into old English, using the Ye's and Thee's like the King James Bible has, and not American english contemporary with his times?

Too bad Mormons don't use cliff notes when they teach us about their religion.

HEY--avatar is converting people. I knew that christians turn evangelical at some point in their religious lives. I'll think I will keep my ignorance, thank you very much.
Let see

Mormons ride Bikes
Jehovah witness walk around
And Baptists condemns them all.

That is all I need to know about Christianity! :tongue:

Hmm. I wonder why I feel like I'm being proselytized.

I read some of it. It seemed about as likely an ancient history as The Lord of the Rings.

I presume the Book of Mormon as delivered to Joseph Smith by Moroni was in some unknown or ancient language as Smith claims to have translated it into English.

Why did he translate it into old English, using the Ye's and Thee's like the King James Bible has, and not American english contemporary with his times?

Because he wanted it to sound "biblical," of course.

I have read the book, but to be honest (and I don't mean to offend anyone) I find Joseph Smith's story entirely lacking in credibility.

I have a lot of respect for Mormons as people, who I have always found to be great people, but I think the basis for the religion is very weak.

I agree, they seem sincere in their beliefs, there are a few I don't like, however, most are nice.

Unlike the Bible, there's no archaeological evidence for any of stories found in the Book of Mormon. It, like the Bible, has lessons for how to live one's life, but as history it's totally made up.

Do an internet search of Nahom/Bountiful in Arabia. You might be surprised.

BTW I apologize for not responding to this sooner. I did this shortly before the hurricane and pressing matters outside the internet was keeping me occupied. As they should.

Have you read it Konrad?

No offense taken. Did you take the challenge or just read the Book btw?

The invitation is open ended. Anyone who wants to try it may.

Too bad Mormons don't use cliff notes when they teach us about their religion.

HEY--avatar is converting people. I knew that christians turn evangelical at some point in their religious lives. I'll think I will keep my ignorance, thank you very much.
Let see

Mormons ride Bikes
Jehovah witness walk around
And Baptists condemns them all.

That is all I need to know about Christianity! :tongue:

I can't convert anyone. Only invite people to learn. The Spirit converts people. I don't presume to take God's place in the process.

BTW I apologize for not responding to this sooner. I did this shortly before the hurricane and pressing matters outside the internet was keeping me occupied. As they should.

Have you read it Konrad?

Unsurprisingly, the 'evidence' is unconvincing to say the least.

One scrap of archeology against all the missing parts would not be convincing, anyway.

But after all, physical evidence is not what matters; What a human believes creates reality. Even Jesus said that if one believed enough, what was believed was done.

We simply do not understand ourselves, humans, and the power we have. Every human is a center of the universe. The universe comes into being when one is born, and fades away when one dies. This is true in the only way that has any meaning.

But isn't that self-protecting? If you ask for the random person to

"1)Ponder in your mind and heart and think about what you’ve read and the tender mercies of the Lord. Try to understand the message being taught.
3)Ask the Lord with a sincere heart and real intent whether the Book of Mormon is true or not.
4)Believe that Christ can reveal to you whether it’s true or not."

And he claims that he did and came to a different conclusion, can;t you simply say that he didn't do one of the steps right?

What if I were to ask you to do the following:

1. read a koran cover to cover
2. think deeply about its meaning
3. ask allah to open you up to understanding and reveal the truth

if you do that, you will acknowledge islam.

You say that you have done it and still reject islam. So I say that you didn't really do it right because you would be unable to go through the steps "properly" and come up with a different answer.

See how that sounds? Insisting that one theology is so apparent that if someone doesn't accept its veracity the fault is in his process, not the claim?

One does not need a book to know that there are many things humans do not understand about what really is in existance over the vast galaxies, and the deminsions that exists that we can't see.
There is a force which can be kenetically and vestibularly felt, but you must be willing to release the ideaology of human religions and the popular polis.

Last edited:

Have you read it Konrad?

I don't want to put words in anybody's mouth, but I'm pretty sure he is talking about archeological evidence in North and South America of the types of civilizations described in the Book of Mormon. As for Nahom/Bountiful, that is shaky evidence of it at best.

But isn't that self-protecting? If you ask for the random person to

"1)Ponder in your mind and heart and think about what you’ve read and the tender mercies of the Lord. Try to understand the message being taught.
4)Believe that Christ can reveal to you whether it’s true or not."

And he claims that he did and came to a different conclusion, can;t you simply say that he didn't do one of the steps right?

What if I were to ask you to do the following:

1. read a koran cover to cover
2. think deeply about its meaning
3. ask allah to open you up to understanding and reveal the truth

if you do that, you will acknowledge islam.

You say that you have done it and still reject islam. So I say that you didn't really do it right because you would be unable to go through the steps "properly" and come up with a different answer.

See how that sounds? Insisting that one theology is so apparent that if someone doesn't accept its veracity the fault is in his process, not the claim?

The only way to determine that is to test it. So why not give it a try?

Forum List

Back