Neuroscientist Sees 'Proof of Heaven' in Week-Long Coma

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

Alexander, a Harvard neurosurgeon, nearly died four years ago when a ferocious E. coli meningitis infection attacked his brain and plunged him deep into a week-long coma. Brain scans showed his entire cortex -- the parts of the brain that give us consciousness, thought, memory and understanding -- was not functioning. Doctors gave him little chance to live and told his family that if he did survive he'd probably be brain-damaged for the rest of his life.

Neuroscientist Sees 'Proof of Heaven' in Week-Long Coma - ABC News

So he states that his brain was so damaged he knows that these events occurred outside of his brain since his brain lacked the function to work in this manner.

What do you think of his experience?

CaféAuLait;6219537 said:

Alexander, a Harvard neurosurgeon, nearly died four years ago when a ferocious E. coli meningitis infection attacked his brain and plunged him deep into a week-long coma. Brain scans showed his entire cortex -- the parts of the brain that give us consciousness, thought, memory and understanding -- was not functioning. Doctors gave him little chance to live and told his family that if he did survive he'd probably be brain-damaged for the rest of his life.

So he states that his brain was so damaged he knows that these events occurred outside of his brain since his brain lacked the function to work in this manner.

God is there and so is another deminsion that we are not allow to see in everyda life. I talk to God and have since I was a child. There have been angels as well as demons in my house.
It is all aout your state of mind to accept that which is there or not there in your life.
Love is the #1 rule that humans have not embraced as a polis of society.
Live in peace and harmony to make contact and accept that which you are and change the way you live.

CaféAuLait;6219537 said:

What do you think

I think everybody should get off this ancient Gawd and Hey Zeus bullshit and get on with their lives. Ain't nobody gonna rise up from the dead, join a ghost floating on a cloud and fly away to paradise to join up with their family and loved ones and live forever. That is major bullshit. It's an ancient fairy tale.

I've known a few people this has happened to. When you hear it from people you know who wouldn't just make stuff up, you tend to believe it. I loved the book of the little boy that almost died....it's soooo good!

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Real-Little-Astounding-Story/dp/0849946158]Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back: Todd Burpo,Lynn Vincent: 9780849946158: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

CaféAuLait;6219537 said:

:lol::lol::lol:

This Must Be Heaven : Sam Harris

Allow Sam Harris to speak: " The article is the modern equivalent of a 14th-century woodcut depicting the work of alchemists, inquisitors, Crusaders, and fortune-tellers."

Well, I intend to spend the rest of the morning sparing him the effort. Whether you read it online or hold the physical object in your hands, this issue of Newsweek is best viewed as an archaeological artifact that is certain to embarrass us in the eyes of future generations. Its existence surely says more about our time than the editors at the magazine meant to say—for the cover alone reveals the abasement and desperation of our journalism, the intellectual bankruptcy and resultant tenacity of faith-based religion, and our ubiquitous confusion about the nature of scientific authority. The article is the modern equivalent of a 14th-century woodcut depicting the work of alchemists, inquisitors, Crusaders, and fortune-tellers. I hope our descendants understand that at least some of us were blushing.

As many of you know, I am interested in “spiritual” experiences of the sort Alexander reports. Unlike many atheists, I don’t doubt the subjective phenomena themselves—that is, I don’t believe that everyone who claims to have seen an angel, or left his body in a trance, or become one with the universe, is lying or mentally ill. Indeed, I have had similar experiences myself in meditation, in lucid dreams (even while meditating in a lucid dream), and through the use of various psychedelics (in times gone by). I know that astonishing changes in the contents of consciousness are possible and can be psychologically transformative.

I am willing to bet that all people no matter what they're religious beliefs, if given the time while they lie on their death bed knowing they are about to die, will give a prayer just incase.

I am willing to bet that all people no matter what they're religious beliefs, if given the time while they lie on their death bed knowing they are about to die, will give a prayer just incase.

moron, lots of people are known to have said NO prayers.

just in case? just in case of what? :laugh2:

only a superstitious moron like you would presuppose that nonbelievers have belief

I think you're right...they will.
I just hope it's in time. It'll be up to God to forgive them, and he also knows what's in our hearts. You can't pretend to be remorseful, He knows.

What it means to be a “faithful Christian” without “actual belief” is not spelled out, but few nonbelievers will be surprised when our hero’s scientific skepticism proves no match for his religious conditioning. Most of us have been around this block often enough to know that many “former atheists”—like Francis Collins—spent so long on the brink of faith, and yearned for its emotional consolations with such vampiric intensity, that the slightest breeze would send them spinning into the abyss. For Collins, you may recall, all it took to establish the divinity of Jesus and the coming resurrection of the dead was the sight of a frozen waterfall. Alexander seems to have required a ride on a psychedelic butterfly. In either case, it’s not the perception of beauty we should begrudge but the utter absence of intellectual seriousness with which the author interprets it.

Everything—absolutely everything—in Alexander’s account rests on repeated assertions that his visions of heaven occurred while his cerebral cortex was “shut down,” “inactivated,” “completely shut down,” “totally offline,” and “stunned to complete inactivity.” The evidence he provides for this claim is not only inadequate—it suggests that he doesn’t know anything about the relevant brain science. Perhaps he has saved a more persuasive account for his book—though now that I’ve listened to an hour-long interview with him online, I very much doubt it. In his Newsweek article, Alexander asserts that the cessation of cortical activity was “clear from the severity and duration of my meningitis, and from the global cortical involvement documented by CT scans and neurological examinations.” To his editors, this presumably sounded like neuroscience.
...http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/this-must-be-heaven

Pray to what? A belligerant, egotistical, jealous, vendictive fairy who has been responsible for the Crusades, the Inquisitions, the Witch Killings.....religious misgivings which have done nothing but create wars and descension among all of us ever since the invention of the wheel?

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;6219537 said:

It just shows how even today doctors have no clue how the human body works.

Consider the events that took place. The man had a life-threatening disease attacking his brain, he was heavily medicated, his blood chemistry was whacked and parts of his brain were not even functioning.

Can anyone say "hallucinations"?

Why the need to rush and claim "the gods did it'?

Forum List

Back