~The Biological Family~

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Dabs, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Dabs

Dabs ~Unpredictable~

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    If you were to ever find out you were adopted, would you seek out your natural parents??
    I guess a lot would depend on how your childhood situation was/is, and how good your adoptive parents were to you, correct??
    I have read stories of people who find they are adopted, and had a great life, but still, the curiosity was there and they went looking for their real Mom or Dad, just to see and ask them "why"....why they were put up for adoption.
    Some stories have decent endings, some not so well.
    How do you feel??

2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    My mother got pregnant in h.s. (1957) and gave the baby girl up for adoption. Lucky for her she was adopted by her Uncle who couldn't have children with his wife and ended up adopting another out of wedlock baby from my Aunt! (You following this so far? :lol:)

Well, ffwd to today and what has happened? My "sister" is still angry that our mom gave her up for adoption and won't talk to her. When my mother was on deaths door last October (she recovered) she never even called!

Because of that, every year on my birthday I call my mom and tell her "I have a great life, thanks for having me!". She always says "Oh thank you! You were a great kid!" even though I wasn't always.

So I guess my "adoption story" ends up both good and bad. :lol:

3. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Maybe it's because of my birth defect, or because I had two wonderfully loving and devoted parents, but if I were to find out that I had been adopted, I would NOT seek out my birth parents.

I do know that a number of people suggested to my parents that they should give me up for adoption before I was born, and after they knew that I would have a significant birth defect. There were some who even suggested that it wouldn't be a terrible loss if the pregancy unexpectedly terminated (this is 1974 we're talking about). My parents would hear none of it.

4. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,388
    I highly doubt I would look.

I'm not a big believer in family ties simply because of biologic relationships. I've gone years without speaking with various family members without feeling any need to. It's not a matter of dislike; I just do not really have family who are friends. We get along well enough, but we don't have a lot of similar interests and were it not for the blood ties would probably not hang out at all.

5. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,885
    Granny says if Uncle Ferd ain't gonna marry one o' his fat girls - he oughta at least adopt one...
    :eusa_eh:
    Picking your kin: Adult adoption creates new bond
    6/8/2011 - 'No matter how old you are ... you never lose the desire for a family'

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,885
    Uncle Ferd gonna get all his fat g/f's on it...
    :cool:
    Federal health department approves free birth control
    1 Aug.`11 WASHINGTON – Health insurance plans must cover birth control as preventive care for women, with no copays, the Obama administration said Monday in a decision with far-reaching implications for health care as well as social mores.