The Bible vs. The Book of Mormon

the video is gone, just so you know. From what I've seen before, and about it, it wasn't a stellar job, but you'd get the gist of it.

What is the connection between Mormons and Mayans?

Well there is a connection with ancient Lamanites and modern day Mayans if you go to my thread on Did Ancient mayans believe in Christ? and Who taught ancient americans to write in heiroglyphs and build pyramids?

Hmmmm...........always wondered what happened to those people........

You DO know that God is the one that took 'em out, right? Seems that they were eating people and having human sacrifices.

No wonder I don't like Moronism.

I suggest you read the book of Mormon and learn the absolute faulty assumptions you just made.

uh....... that's false..........

Nahom- discovered
Bountiful- discovered
ancient mayan ruins- evidence
it's all here. I challenge you to refute just 1 of the evidences found on the website.

Mormon Truth and Book of Mormon Evidences: Not Proof, But Indications of Plausibility
Not ONE professional archeologist or historian (non mormon) takes the Book of Moron as a serious or credible document.

Sunni, you didn't read the page did you? There is plenty of non-mormon scholarship involved.
I didn't notice any PhD's as I scanned thru the page.

Look, even the title of the work is called: Not Proof, But Indications of Plausibility

The article is peppered with the words; maybe, possible, could be, needs further examanition, plausible, worthy of consideration, leads one to believe, etc.

Like I said before. There is Zero evidence to support the Book of Mormon.

Years ago I let some LDS missionarys visit my house several times. At the same time I also sent for books and materials by the Tanners. (I am sure you are familiar with their stance on Mormonism) Also, I purchased third party literature just to be totally objective.

I looked, read, and listened to both sides with an open mind over several weeks.

My conclusion was that the Book of Mormon is a fraud, and a very bad one at that.

What is the connection between Mormons and Mayans?

Well there is a connection with ancient Lamanites and modern day Mayans if you go to my thread on Did Ancient mayans believe in Christ? and Who taught ancient americans to write in heiroglyphs and build pyramids?

Hmmmm...........always wondered what happened to those people........

You DO know that God is the one that took 'em out, right? Seems that they were eating people and having human sacrifices.

No wonder I don't like Moronism.

Nice way to use the played out Moron/Mormon comparison....How lame.

And of course it was God who took em out. The Nephites were even more wicked than the Lamanites at the time of their destruction. Check this out
Treatment of Nephite prisoners during the war:
Moroni 9:8
8 And the husbands and fathers of those women and children they have slain; and they feed the women upon the flesh of their husbands, and the children upon the flesh of their fathers; and no water, save a little, do they give unto them.

The revenge the Nephites took on Lamanite prisoners:
Moroni 9:9-10:
And notwithstanding this great aabomination of the Lamanites, it doth not exceed that of our people in Moriantum. For behold, many of the daughters of the Lamanites have they taken prisoners; and after depriving them of that which was most dear and precious above all things, which is chastity and virtue— And after they had done this thing, they did murder them in a most cruel manner, torturing their bodies even unto death; and after they have done this, they devour their flesh like unto wild beasts, because of the hardness of their hearts; and they do it for a token of bravery.

Of course God waxed the Nephites from existence. Well not every individual, but their nation.

Not ONE professional archeologist or historian (non mormon) takes the Book of Moron as a serious or credible document.

Sunni, you didn't read the page did you? There is plenty of non-mormon scholarship involved.

Look, even the title of the work is called: Not Proof, But Indications of Plausibility

The article is peppered with the words; maybe, possible, could be, needs further examanition, plausible, worthy of consideration, leads one to believe, etc.

Years ago I let some LDS missionarys visit my house several times. At the same time I also sent for books and materials by the Tanners. (I am sure you are familiar with their stance on Mormonism) Also, I purchased third party literature just to be totally objective.

I looked, read, and listened to both sides with an open mind over several weeks.

My conclusion was that the Book of Mormon is a fraud, and a very bad one at that.

Unfortunately you didn't read the Book of Mormon itself. You would form a drastically different opinion than you have now.
You might want to read the works of Dr. Hugh Nibley's, Lehi in the Desert and the World of the Jaredites. It is more than plausible after you read that book based on his knowledge of history, science, Arabic and archaeology. You can't dismiss one word of what he said.

take a look at these nuggets
http://www.jefflindsay.com/bme-index.shtml

Last edited:
Also for all you people complaining that there aren't that many non-mormon scholars in favor of the Book, ask yourselves a couple questions:
Why are so few non-mormon scholars even giving the book a chance? they don't even open the book and study it's pages.

Where are the non-mormon scholars' refutations? There are none because they don't investigate the matter.
What makes a non-mormon scholar better than a mormon scholar? If a scholar presents evidence, it is irresponsible to dismiss the evidence without examining it.

I defy all you on these boards to refute one portion of the claims in the book of mormon as innacurate:
Here's your opportunity to really crush me on this, I'd think you would leap at the chance.

Thats because if they actually believed it they would convert and youd reject their credibility in the matter.

Men wiser than I have addressed the same arguments in the video, so I'm just going to direct you all to read "ONE NATION UNDER GODS." It chronicles the beginnings of mormon history, starting with Joseph Smith's family. Take a careful look at the origins of the founder, my friends

Ive talked to the author of that book. And ive read it. Not impressed with his work of fiction.

Because of course, unless someone has a PhD they are an idiot. Got ya.

No evidence at all.

Just eyewitnesses.

Accurate ancient names throughout the text that were unknown at the time.

An accurate description of a path from Jerusalem through the Arabian Penninsula with corresponding names.

Hebrew poetry.

And of course, the Holy Spirit telling people it's true.

Nope you're right thats all zero.

I completely understand if you dont find it all credible. Joseph Smith said he wouldnt even believe his story if he hadnt lived through it. So really I dont blame you for not believing. But the completely bogus claim that there is zero evidence is a bunch of nonsense. I havent even touched the tip of the iceberg of evidence for the Book of Mormon.

There is a reason there are hundreds of articles on the subject of evidence. Cant say much if there isnt any can they?

And of course, the Holy Spirit telling people it's true.
The Mormon missionaries told me to pray and ask the Holy Spirit if the Book of Mormon was true.

So I did.

I was told that the Book of Mormon was a total lie and a complete fraud.

The Mormon missionaries told me to pray and ask the Holy Spirit if the Book of Mormon was true.

So I did.

Ill take the fact that you completely ignored the evidence you are not going to claim there is zero evidence anymore.

So I did.

Ill take the fact that you completely ignored the evidence you are not going to claim there is zero evidence anymore.

What evidence?

There wasn't any evidence to ignore.

There was just a bunch of, maybe, possibly, could be, looks like, suggests, and plausible.

Last edited:
What evidence?

There wasn't any evidence to ignore.

There was just a bunch of, maybe, possibly, could be, looks like, suggests, and plausible.

Im going to go out on a limb and say you have no freaking clue what evidence is.

In order for something to be evidence it has to be a fact that creates a greater likelihood that something in question is true.

For example, as previously cited, the Book of Mormon contains names with legitimate ancient origin which would have sounded ridiculous in the 19th century setting. Nephi, Pahoran, Alma (as a male), Pacumeni etc are all ancient names. Which is completely consistant with an ancient document.

Joseph Smith didnt have access to a library. From all the accounts of the people who knew him, he could barely dictate a coherent letter. Yet somehow he manages to create a 500+ page volume including complex storylines that includes countless ancient names that no one knew about in the 19th century.

That my friend, is evidence. You may not be convinced of it. But it is a fact would lead people to believe the Book of Mormon is more plausible as an ancient document. And it is hardly the only piece of evidence for the Book of Mormon.

For example, another piece of evidence are the eyewitnesses. Some who died for their testimonies. Others who, after their falling out with Joseph, continued to reaffirm their witness to the grave.

Like I said evidence

For the ignorant amongst you. The Bible and the Book of Mormon are not in conflict. One is an account of the Jews and then of Jesus in the Middle East, the other is the account of the people in the Americas and of Jesus visit there.

One is not believed over the other by Mormons, they are both works of God. they both are accounts of God's people.

This is completely false.

The Book of Mormon was written by Joseph Smith in the 1800s. Allegedly the book was transcribed from "golden plates" but those plates have never been found nor has anyone ever seen them except, again allegedly, Joseph Smith.

I see absolutely no difference between L. Ron Hubbard and Joseph Smith... except I'd feel safer around a Mormon than I would a Scientologist.. and that's not saying much.

For the ignorant amongst you. The Bible and the Book of Mormon are not in conflict. One is an account of the Jews and then of Jesus in the Middle East, the other is the account of the people in the Americas and of Jesus visit there.

One is not believed over the other by Mormons, they are both works of God. they both are accounts of God's people.
The Bible lists many people, places, and historical events. There is all kinds of evidence to support it and many locations and people still exist today.

The Book of Mormon has ZERO physical or historical evidence to back up any claims, people, cities, or physical evidence.

To sum it up: The Bible is Truth and the Book of Mormon is pure nonsense

Nahom- discovered
Bountiful- discovered
it's all here. I challenge you to refute just 1 of the evidences found on the website.

Mormon Truth and Book of Mormon Evidences: Not Proof, But Indications of Plausibility

Truth, the people in the video are biblical archeologists who have uncovered thousands of years worth of evidence of the existence of ancient Israel, Egypt, etc. and then there are others who are archeologists who have uncovered the Native Americans and their history. They have absolutely nothing against Mormonism whatsoever - they just cannot find one shred of evidence that anything that the Book of Mormon suggests happened has ever actually happened. Your source is a Mormon source - do you have a completely neutral source that has verified the items you mentioned above have been found?

If not, I suggest you withdraw your claim that there is evidence of anything in the Book of Mormon except Joseph Smith being a guy known for his tall tales.

To further my point - the Battle of Cumorah between the Nephites and Lamanites took place with the loss of 250,000 Nephites.

If 250,000 Nephites were killed at Cumorah, where are their remains? If 250,000 Nephites were killed, where are the weapons that were used to kill them? What about the Lamanites - where are their dead buried? 250,000 dead soldiers for thousands of years ago in New York doesn't seem to be too difficult to find - the Jews have done massive archeological research and we have uncovered that nearly every single battle that the Torah and the Tenach has spoken of has actually taken place as both books said they did. We have massive evidence of the existence of nearly every single civilization that has ever existed, even ones pre-dating the Jaredites... yet there is not one shred of evidence that any of the people, that any of the wars, that anything at all that the Book of Mormon has spoken of has actually occured. Why is this?

This is completely false.

The Book of Mormon was written by Joseph Smith in the 1800s. Allegedly the book was transcribed from "golden plates" but those plates have never been found nor has anyone ever seen them except, again allegedly, Joseph Smith.

I see absolutely no difference between L. Ron Hubbard and Joseph Smith... except I'd feel safer around a Mormon than I would a Scientologist.. and that's not saying much.

There were witnesses of the plates. Which you would know if you were not so busy making crap up. Witnesses that even after leaving the church continued to say they saw the plates. You are a bigot.

The Bible lists many people, places, and historical events. There is all kinds of evidence to support it and many locations and people still exist today.

The Book of Mormon has ZERO physical or historical evidence to back up any claims, people, cities, or physical evidence.

To sum it up: The Bible is Truth and the Book of Mormon is pure nonsense

Nahom- discovered
Bountiful- discovered

Truth, the people in the video are biblical archeologists who have uncovered thousands of years worth of evidence of the existence of ancient Israel, Egypt, etc. and then there are others who are archeologists who have uncovered the Native Americans and their history. They have absolutely nothing against Mormonism whatsoever - they just cannot find one shred of evidence that anything that the Book of Mormon suggests happened has ever actually happened. Your source is a Mormon source - do you have a completely neutral source that has verified the items you mentioned above have been found?

If not, I suggest you withdraw your claim that there is evidence of anything in the Book of Mormon except Joseph Smith being a guy known for his tall tales.

You know, after all the persecution Jews have gone through and continue to go through one would expect a Jew to be less of an judgemental ass. Instead of claiming because someone may or may not believe in the book of Mormon how about you actually address the issue and prove the people that say they have found evidence are actually wrong. Again for the slow, not JUST Mormons claim these thngs.

Forum List

Back