The Bible contradiction thread

MedfordMan

Sep 18, 2018
In another thread a poster wrote, "but there are way too many contradictions to take it (the Bible) literally and even the figurative passages are too wide ranging (I read inconsistent) as to preclude a coherent philosophy."

Needless to say I disagree with what was said above, so I've started this thread to clear up confusion about the Bible and address this widespread, but unfounded claim.

This is not my idea. In the prior thread I had said my piece and had left the thread, but the Holy Spirit has been after me to respond, so I am doing so.

The disclaimer:

I am one guy, who has a very busy full time job and a family. I will try to answer any honest question, but I will focus on large issues that make a border point in the interpretation of many similar verses.

If you have a personal question, which you don't feel comfortable asking on the forum, I have set up a personal e-mail of [email protected] for this purpose. If you think I'm an idiot or don't want to participate in the discussion, feel free to leave the thread. I don't need your angry e-mails on the personal e-mail, but I will pray for you personally before I delete them.

The ground rules:

If you have a scripture that you feel represents a contradiction, post the whole chapter (all the verses in that chapter) so we can see the context of the verse.

Please also do the same with the verse you claim it contradicts.

I'll post the contextual verses in my response.

I'll be cutting and pasting the Bible verses from the Blue Letter Bible and you can do so too for free.

I prefer the King James version, post your verses from that translation.

I will only comment on verses found in the (non Catholic) Bible. I will not comment or address scripture from the Apocrypha, the Gnostic bible, the Talmud or Mishna, the book of Morman and other texts or Gospels some are claiming should be part of or which some claim were part of some version of the Bible, at one time.

I'm not interested in a cut and paste of articles or other posts on this subject. If your not willing to do the work yourself, this thread isn't for you.

The purpose:

The purpose of this thread is not to prove that there aren't any contradictions in the Bible (spoiler alert - there are)

OR

that there aren't figurative passages or concepts that are difficult to understand.

The purpose is to show that the Bible is consistent when read in the proper context and that you don't have to have a PHD in religion to read and understand it.

In another thread a poster wrote, "but there are way too many contradictions to take it (the Bible) literally and even the figurative passages are too wide ranging (I read inconsistent) as to preclude a coherent philosophy."

Needless to say I disagree with what was said above, so I've started this thread to clear up confusion about the Bible and address this widespread, but unfounded claim.

This is not my idea. In the prior thread I had said my piece and had left the thread, but the Holy Spirit has been after me to respond, so I am doing so.

The disclaimer:

I am one guy, who has a very busy full time job and a family. I will try to answer any honest question, but I will focus on large issues that make a border point in the interpretation of many similar verses.

If you have a personal question, which you don't feel comfortable asking on the forum, I have set up a personal e-mail of [email protected] for this purpose. If you think I'm an idiot or don't want to participate in the discussion, feel free to leave the thread. I don't need your angry e-mails on the personal e-mail, but I will pray for you personally before I delete them.

The ground rules:

If you have a scripture that you feel represents a contradiction, post the whole chapter (all the verses in that chapter) so we can see the context of the verse.

I'll be cutting and pasting the Bible verses from the Blue Letter Bible and you can do so too for free.

I will only comment on verses found in the (non Catholic) Bible. I will not comment or address scripture from the Apocrypha, the Gnostic bible, the Talmud or Mishna, the book of Morman and other texts or Gospels some are claiming should be part of or which some claim were part of some version of the Bible, at one time.

I'm not interested in a cut and paste of articles or other posts on this subject. If your not willing to do the work yourself, this thread isn't for you.

The purpose:

The purpose of this thread is not to prove that there aren't any contradictions in the Bible (spoiler alert - there are)

OR

that there aren't figurative passages or concepts that are difficult to understand.

The purpose is to show that the Bible is consistent when read in the proper context and that you don't have to have a PHD in religion to read and understand it.
How about those instances that are left to interpretation? Ex: Parable of the Good Samaritan. Priest and Levite pass by on the other side, but we are left to figure out why, not that it matters because the Bible infers that they are both exhibiting that opposite of love called indifference and become the bad guys. But I'm thinking they both told themselves very valid excuses for not stopping and convinced themselves they were blameless for passing by on the other side. Priests had to be 'clean' to serve the temple, and if the injured man was dead, the priest would have had to go thru a cleansing process. Or maybe the man was pretending injury and would draw the Levite while his buddies jumped out of the bushes and robbed him. I have thought of this often in my own life, how I rationalize doing or not doing, and it resonates again when I hear the reasons we reject desperate immigrants... and like the sentencing of people who leave water in the scalding desert.

I've tied this out and posting the whole chapter doesn't work. How about the verse above and below:

THE CONTRADICTION: Let's look at Hebrews 9:27, which reads, "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:"

THE CONTEXTUAL SCRIPTURES:

copyChkboxOff.gif
Heb 9:26

For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Heb 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

copyChkboxOff.gif
Heb 9:28

So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

THE BACKGROUND We know this scripture represents a contradiction, because of Lazarus. There are a number of other people who were raised from the dead, by prophets, by Jesus or by the disciples, but given the lack of medical knowledge at the time we don't know if there people were dead or were sick and dying and misdiagnosed as dead before they were healed. In the story, Jesus tells us Lazars was dead. In addition he had been entombed for 4 days, so if he been entombed improperly, he should have died from thirst, in that time, any way,

Below, please find the scripture wherein Lazarus was resurrected by Jesus.

Jhn 11:13
Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Jhn 11:14

Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

Jhn 11:15

And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.

Jhn 11:39
Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.

Jhn 11:40
Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

Jhn 11:41

Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.

Jhn 11:42

And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.

Jhn 11:43

And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.
Jhn 11:44

And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.
Jhn 11:45

Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.

THE EXPLANATION: God is a supernatural being, not some super powerful human. He can heal and/or resurrect anyone, but he chooses to limit himself. The passage in Hebrews is meant to warn us that as humans, we've got one shot at physical life on the earth so we should use that time wisely. God can heal or resurrect anyone it suits his purposes, but we shouldn't count on him bringing us back physically from death, because God is not a carnival act that resurrects the dead for his own amusement.

FOOTNOTE: In addition to the people raised from the dead in the Bible, two folks never experienced death, Enoch and Elijah.

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

People say it’s wrong to be gay but I read that two women could be laying in bed grinding and one would go to heaven and the other not. So being gay won’t send you to hell as long as you believe. The one who believed went to heaven the one who didn’t didnt go to heaven.

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

People say it’s wrong to be gay but I read that two women could be laying in bed grinding and one would go to heaven and the other not. So being gay won’t send you to hell as long as you believe. The one who believed went to heaven the one who didn’t didnt go to heaven.
Sealy, I think you are missing the point. Males and females slept together as a matter of convenience until what in my lifetime is recently. That no longer happens, but there was a time when it was not unusual, and I am assuming that in Biblical times it was not gayness but a simple matter of practicality. Sort of like how we had 2 and 4 party telephones until recently, but now we all have private lines, and now our kids are deprived or gay if they don't have their own room.

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

Would be interested to see somebody do the same with the Quran, Hindu texts, Buddhism, Taoism, and other religions whether alive or extinct. Could be a fun exercise.

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

The tard mixes up two different scriptures. Grinding GRAIN in the field and two people SLEEPING. Good Allah you people have an OPINION on everything but know nothing.

People say it’s wrong to be gay but I read that two women could be laying in bed grinding and one would go to heaven and the other not.
Verse please.
Easily google able
No it's not because the "verse" doesn't exist. That's what happens when tards talk Bible

LMGTFY

Matthew 24:41

The fact you don’t know what I’m talking about tells me one thing for sure. You Never read the bible

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

The tard mixes up two different scriptures. Grinding GRAIN in the field and two people SLEEPING. Good Allah you people have an OPINION on everything but know nothing.
Depends on which version of the Bible you’re reading. Which one are you reading?

I talked to god about all the inconsistencies that are in the Bible. He told me that I should not take it all so seriously. He said that the Bible is sort of like Dylan songs. Sometimes there is deep meaning in the verses. Other times, he just throws in things that rhyme. Either way, he said that he was just kidding when he inspired it. He said that he wasn't a vengeful god in the Old Testament. He was just in a bad mood.

I talked to god about all the inconsistencies that are in the Bible. He told me that I should not take it all so seriously. He said that the Bible is sort of like Dylan songs. Sometimes there is deep meaning in the verses. Other times, he just throws in things that rhyme. Either way, he said that he was just kidding when he inspired it. He said that he wasn't a vengeful god in the Old Testament. He was just in a bad mood.
He told me he didn’t inspire the new or Old Testament or the book of Mormons or the Koran.

Or he did inspire them in that the men who wrote them were inspired by him but he didn’t tell them what to write they came up with it on their own. He had nothing to do with it.

Even worse if all these religions were made up by men who invented them just to start religions

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

This isn't a biblical contradiction, but a misunderstanding of the meaning of the text.

In this story, the two women are grinding at a mill, which is not a sexual act.

You've got the wrong (too modern) definition of "grinding".

Feel free to google, "grinding at a mill."

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

I hope this is a joke. It IS a joke, right?

He told me that toilet paper is for neanderthals and that we should all be blessed with bidets, for the cleanliest of booty holes.

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

This isn't a biblical contradiction, but a misunderstanding of the meaning of the text.

Two grinding at the mill is telling you that you have two portions in you. The flesh portion and the son portion. The flesh returns to dust and the spirit of the son within is taken or kept. new wine skins being new containers for the spirit of you the son of God (being that portion created in the image of the only begotten son). Its really a very simple concept.

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

Two grinding at the mill is telling you that you have two portions in you. The flesh portion and the son portion. The flesh returns to dust and the spirit of the son within is taken or kept. new wine skins being new containers for the spirit of you the son of God (being that portion created in the image of the only begotten son). Its really a very simple concept.

Nonsense. It means that when Jesus comes back and starts yapping again, where there are any two people standing around or working together and hear of it, "one will be taken, the other will be left behind," just means that one will understand, the other will not, exactly like the first time.

Its about the parting of the sheep from the goats.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back