The Bible contradiction thread

The Abrahamic covenant doesn't deal with salvation.

Those who don't believe in the covenant established by Jesus with his disciples in the upper room must earn their way into heaven by perfectly keeping God's commandments.

As a Christian I don't think it's possible to perfectly keep God's commandments (no one other than Jesus has ever done it), so I believe that taking God's free gift of salvation is the only realistic way to get into heaven.

Still, I don't begrudge your choice to try to do so.

The Jews were chosen (this not meant to be a comprehensive or exhaustive list):

1. To maintain and protect God's word as expressed in the Old Testament.

2. To be the people through whom God in the flesh was born and raised.

3. To be an example of God's relationship with mankind and mankind's relationship with God.

OP's problematic rules begin with the first one, because claiming to represent what context is, OP will define its boundaries by chapters thus taking out of context of the entire bible, precisely that chapter, because if there is a contradictory verse, it may be in another chapter, thus forcing the prisoner to post (that [italics]) entire chapter so as to not take the verse out of context, ad infinitum. Nuts. OP's rules contradiction is evidence of an addiction, an addiction to the mechanism of the disjunctive syllogism.[/QUOTERather

Please show me where I said you can't post multiple verses showing a contradiction?

Rather than trying to convince us that you're really smart by using big words that really don't mean anything in the context you're attempting to use them, why don't you make a coherent post with a cogent argument.

The Abrahamic covenant doesn't deal with salvation.

Those who don't believe in the covenant established by Jesus with his disciples in the upper room must earn their way into heaven by perfectly keeping God's commandments.

As a Christian I don't think it's possible to perfectly keep God's commandments (no one other than Jesus has ever done it), so I believe that taking God's free gift of salvation is the only realistic way to get into heaven.

Still, I don't begrudge your choice to try to do so.
Nonsense. G-d’s covenant included salvation for those who were circumcised. Those who were not, we’re cut off. What do you think G-d meant when He said He would be their G-d?

13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.

14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.

The Jews were chosen (this not meant to be a comprehensive or exhaustive list):

1. To maintain and protect God's word as expressed in the Old Testament.

2. To be the people through whom God in the flesh was born and raised.

3. To be an example of God's relationship with mankind and mankind's relationship with God.
And to be with G-d in death. Many souls were taken with G-d before Jesus. Many still are without Jesus.

In another thread a poster wrote, "but there are way too many contradictions to take it (the Bible) literally and even the figurative passages are too wide ranging (I read inconsistent) as to preclude a coherent philosophy."

Needless to say I disagree with what was said above, so I've started this thread to clear up confusion about the Bible and address this widespread, but unfounded claim.

This is not my idea. In the prior thread I had said my piece and had left the thread, but the Holy Spirit has been after me to respond, so I am doing so.

The disclaimer:

I am one guy, who has a very busy full time job and a family. I will try to answer any honest question, but I will focus on large issues that make a border point in the interpretation of many similar verses.

If you have a personal question, which you don't feel comfortable asking on the forum, I have set up a personal e-mail of [email protected] for this purpose. If you think I'm an idiot or don't want to participate in the discussion, feel free to leave the thread. I don't need your angry e-mails on the personal e-mail, but I will pray for you personally before I delete them.

The ground rules:

If you have a scripture that you feel represents a contradiction, post the whole chapter (all the verses in that chapter) so we can see the context of the verse.

Please also do the same with the verse you claim it contradicts.

I'll post the contextual verses in my response.

I'll be cutting and pasting the Bible verses from the Blue Letter Bible and you can do so too for free.

I prefer the King James version, post your verses from that translation.

I will only comment on verses found in the (non Catholic) Bible. I will not comment or address scripture from the Apocrypha, the Gnostic bible, the Talmud or Mishna, the book of Morman and other texts or Gospels some are claiming should be part of or which some claim were part of some version of the Bible, at one time.

I'm not interested in a cut and paste of articles or other posts on this subject. If your not willing to do the work yourself, this thread isn't for you.

The purpose:

The purpose of this thread is not to prove that there aren't any contradictions in the Bible (spoiler alert - there are)

OR

that there aren't figurative passages or concepts that are difficult to understand.

The purpose is to show that the Bible is consistent when read in the proper context and that you don't have to have a PHD in religion to read and understand it.
Another contradiction .... in the New Testament are two separate genealogies leading to Jesus. One saying he was from the seed of Solomon, son of David; the other says he was from the seed of Nathan, son of David.

In another thread a poster wrote, "but there are way too many contradictions to take it (the Bible) literally and even the figurative passages are too wide ranging (I read inconsistent) as to preclude a coherent philosophy."

Needless to say I disagree with what was said above, so I've started this thread to clear up confusion about the Bible and address this widespread, but unfounded claim.

This is not my idea. In the prior thread I had said my piece and had left the thread, but the Holy Spirit has been after me to respond, so I am doing so.

The disclaimer:

I am one guy, who has a very busy full time job and a family. I will try to answer any honest question, but I will focus on large issues that make a border point in the interpretation of many similar verses.

If you have a personal question, which you don't feel comfortable asking on the forum, I have set up a personal e-mail of [email protected] for this purpose. If you think I'm an idiot or don't want to participate in the discussion, feel free to leave the thread. I don't need your angry e-mails on the personal e-mail, but I will pray for you personally before I delete them.

The ground rules:

If you have a scripture that you feel represents a contradiction, post the whole chapter (all the verses in that chapter) so we can see the context of the verse.

I'll be cutting and pasting the Bible verses from the Blue Letter Bible and you can do so too for free.

I will only comment on verses found in the (non Catholic) Bible. I will not comment or address scripture from the Apocrypha, the Gnostic bible, the Talmud or Mishna, the book of Morman and other texts or Gospels some are claiming should be part of or which some claim were part of some version of the Bible, at one time.

I'm not interested in a cut and paste of articles or other posts on this subject. If your not willing to do the work yourself, this thread isn't for you.

The purpose:

The purpose of this thread is not to prove that there aren't any contradictions in the Bible (spoiler alert - there are)

OR

that there aren't figurative passages or concepts that are difficult to understand.

The purpose is to show that the Bible is consistent when read in the proper context and that you don't have to have a PHD in religion to read and understand it.
Another contradiction .... in the New Testament are two separate genealogies leading to Jesus. One saying he was from the seed of Solomon, son of David; the other says he was from the seed of Nathan, son of David.
Where

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

Seed of Solomon is through Joseph.
Seed of Nathan is through Mary.

I've tied this out and posting the whole chapter doesn't work. How about the verse above and below:

THE CONTRADICTION: Let's look at Hebrews 9:27, which reads, "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:"

THE CONTEXTUAL SCRIPTURES:

copyChkboxOff.gif
Heb 9:26

For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Heb 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

copyChkboxOff.gif
Heb 9:28

So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

THE BACKGROUND We know this scripture represents a contradiction, because of Lazarus. There are a number of other people who were raised from the dead, by prophets, by Jesus or by the disciples, but given the lack of medical knowledge at the time we don't know if there people were dead or were sick and dying and misdiagnosed as dead before they were healed. In the story, Jesus tells us Lazars was dead. In addition he had been entombed for 4 days, so if he been entombed improperly, he should have died from thirst, in that time, any way,

Below, please find the scripture wherein Lazarus was resurrected by Jesus.

Jhn 11:13
Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Jhn 11:14

Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

Jhn 11:15

And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.

Jhn 11:39
Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.

Jhn 11:40
Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

Jhn 11:41

Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.

Jhn 11:42

And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.

Jhn 11:43

And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.
Jhn 11:44

And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.
Jhn 11:45

Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.

THE EXPLANATION: God is a supernatural being, not some super powerful human. He can heal and/or resurrect anyone, but he chooses to limit himself. The passage in Hebrews is meant to warn us that as humans, we've got one shot at physical life on the earth so we should use that time wisely. God can heal or resurrect anyone it suits his purposes, but we shouldn't count on him bringing us back physically from death, because God is not a carnival act that resurrects the dead for his own amusement.

FOOTNOTE: In addition to the people raised from the dead in the Bible, two folks never experienced death, Enoch and Elijah.
You missed this contradiction to the same verse:
Rev 21:8 But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

That’s not what the Bible says...

Luke 3:23-38 King James Version (KJV)

23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,

24 Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph,

25 Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which was the son of Nagge,

26 Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda,

27 Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,

28 Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er,

29 Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi,

30 Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim,

31 Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,

... it says Joseph, not Mary, was a descendant of David through Nathan.

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

One was for Joseph and the other was for Mary.

13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.

14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.

Flesh is a metaphor for teaching.

The covenant shall be in your flesh, in your teaching.

The mark of the covenant between God and man is not a mutilated weenie.

Circumcising the foreskins of infant penises is the flesh, the unclean teaching, of uncircumcised dickheads who do not ruminate, think deeply.

This teaching and practice is not Kosher.

Can I get an amen?

A duh?

Last edited:

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,

24 Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph,

25 Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which was the son of Nagge,

26 Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda,

27 Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,

28 Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er,

29 Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi,

30 Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim,

31 Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

Joseph and Mary were 1st cousins.

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

That’s nice; but not found anywhere in the New Testament. And again, Luke only mentions the genealogy of Joseph, not Mary.

And then there’s another contradiction... Matthew, also listing the lineage of Joseph’s genealogy, lists 17 generations from King David to Zorobabel (including David). However, 1 Chronicles lists 21 generations.

So which one is right?

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

That’s nice; but not found anywhere in the New Testament. And again, Luke only mentions the genealogy of Joseph, not Mary.

And then there’s another contradiction... Matthew, also listing the lineage of Joseph’s genealogy, lists 17 generations from King David to Zorobabel (including David). However, 1 Chronicles lists 21 generations.

So which one is right?
Maternal ancestry is in Luke.

Genealogy of Jesus - Wikipedia

So which one is right?
Maternal ancestry is in Luke.

Genealogy of Jesus - Wikipedia
Your link says some people believe maternal ancestry is in Luke while other people believe maternal ancestry is in Matthew. And the reason for that is because no one really knows because the Bible doesn't say. What it does say is that both lineages go from David to Joseph.

Anything other than that is made up from whole cloth.

The disclaimer:

The ground rules:

The purpose:

OR

People say it’s wrong to be gay but I read that two women could be laying in bed grinding and one would go to heaven and the other not. So being gay won’t send you to hell as long as you believe. The one who believed went to heaven the one who didn’t didnt go to heaven.

I hope this is a joke. It IS a joke, right?

whats a joke? you can not comprehend sillybooboo parable?

one is saved the other is not.

Forum List

Back