Thanksgiving Thru The Eyes Of Our Founders

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Government school grads have been taught that Founders were terrible crotchety old white slavers who were anti-religion and responsible all sorts of evil in the world.

This day, more than any other, is a refutation of that worldview.
It even brings out the American in Obama....

1. "President Obama, in his Thanksgiving message this year, quotes George Washington’s phrase — “providence of Almighty God” — as the object of our national gratitude. It is a reminder of to whom thanks are being given today. It is also part of a long tradition, going back to Washington, who issued his first Thanksgiving proclamation on October 3, 1789, here at New York City. He noted that Congress had requested he recommend “a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God.”

2. John Adams, ...“the safety and prosperity of nations ultimately and essentially depend on the protection and the blessing of Almighty God” and that “the national acknowledgment of this truth is not only an indispensable duty which the people owe to Him, but a duty whose natural influence is favorable to the promotion of that morality and piety without which social happiness can not exist nor the blessings of a free government be enjoyed,”.....

3. ...James Madison, who set aside January 12, 1815, as “a day on which all may have an opportunity of voluntarily offering at the same time in their respective religious assemblies their humble adoration to the Great Sovereign of the Universe,....

4. Lincoln issued four Thanksgiving proclamations, two of which — in 1862 and 1863 — made reference to a divine role in Union military victories. In 1864, he set apart the last Thursday in November “as a day which I desire to be observed by all my fellow-citizens, wherever they may then be, as a day of thanksgiving and praise to Almighty God, the beneficent Creator and Ruler of the Universe.”

5. Similarly pointed references to God were made by Grant, Theodore Roosevelt, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who, like Lincoln, recognized God as an ally.....

6. President Truman was, in 1950, the first president to make explicit reference in a Thanksgiving proclamation to Jews, asking all Americans “to appeal to the Most High” and entreating them “in church, chapel, and synagogue, in their homes and in the busy walks of life, every day and everywhere, to pray for peace.”

7. President Eisenhower added a nod to freedom of conscience, a freedom of which the founders were well aware. “We are grateful that our beloved country, settled by those forebears in their quest for religious freedom, remains free and strong, and that each of us can worship God in his own way, according to the dictates of his conscience,” [Memo to Obama]

8. President Kennedy began his first Thanksgiving proclamation by quoting the psalmist: “It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord.”

9. Richard Nixon’s Thanksgiving proclamation in 1972 was probably the first that mentioned Jesus. “From Moses at the Red Sea to Jesus preparing to feed the multitudes, the Scriptures summon us to words and deeds of gratitude, even before divine blessings are fully perceived,”.....

10. ....Clinton referred to “the genius of our founders in daring to build the world’s first constitutional democracy on the foundation of trust and thanks to God.”
‘Providence of Almighty God’ - The New York Sun

And the same wishes to all who read this.
Amen.

Thanksgiving-Indian-Meme-02.jpg

Government school grads have been taught that Founders were terrible crotchety old white slavers who were anti-religion and responsible all sorts of evil in the world.

1. "President Obama, in his Thanksgiving message this year, quotes George Washington’s phrase — “providence of Almighty God” — as the object of our national gratitude. It is a reminder of to whom thanks are being given today. It is also part of a long tradition, going back to Washington, who issued his first Thanksgiving proclamation on October 3, 1789, here at New York City. He noted that Congress had requested he recommend “a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God.”

2. John Adams, ...“the safety and prosperity of nations ultimately and essentially depend on the protection and the blessing of Almighty God” and that “the national acknowledgment of this truth is not only an indispensable duty which the people owe to Him, but a duty whose natural influence is favorable to the promotion of that morality and piety without which social happiness can not exist nor the blessings of a free government be enjoyed,”.....

3. ...James Madison, who set aside January 12, 1815, as “a day on which all may have an opportunity of voluntarily offering at the same time in their respective religious assemblies their humble adoration to the Great Sovereign of the Universe,....

4. Lincoln issued four Thanksgiving proclamations, two of which — in 1862 and 1863 — made reference to a divine role in Union military victories. In 1864, he set apart the last Thursday in November “as a day which I desire to be observed by all my fellow-citizens, wherever they may then be, as a day of thanksgiving and praise to Almighty God, the beneficent Creator and Ruler of the Universe.”

5. Similarly pointed references to God were made by Grant, Theodore Roosevelt, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who, like Lincoln, recognized God as an ally.....

6. President Truman was, in 1950, the first president to make explicit reference in a Thanksgiving proclamation to Jews, asking all Americans “to appeal to the Most High” and entreating them “in church, chapel, and synagogue, in their homes and in the busy walks of life, every day and everywhere, to pray for peace.”

7. President Eisenhower added a nod to freedom of conscience, a freedom of which the founders were well aware. “We are grateful that our beloved country, settled by those forebears in their quest for religious freedom, remains free and strong, and that each of us can worship God in his own way, according to the dictates of his conscience,” [Memo to Obama]

8. President Kennedy began his first Thanksgiving proclamation by quoting the psalmist: “It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord.”

9. Richard Nixon’s Thanksgiving proclamation in 1972 was probably the first that mentioned Jesus. “From Moses at the Red Sea to Jesus preparing to feed the multitudes, the Scriptures summon us to words and deeds of gratitude, even before divine blessings are fully perceived,”.....

10. ....Clinton referred to “the genius of our founders in daring to build the world’s first constitutional democracy on the foundation of trust and thanks to God.”

Amen.

Thank you PC, the beautiful, and "Happy Thanksgiving" to you and your great family. I remember with pleasure the Thanksgiving pics of your turkey dinner on that elegant table setting two or three years ago.

Amen.

Thank you PC, the beautiful, and "Happy Thanksgiving" to you and your great family. I remember with pleasure the Thanksgiving pics of your turkey dinner on that elegant table setting two or three years ago.

With the greatest of appreciation, sis....and I hope the day is rewarding and filled with happiness for you, too.

BTW....I just finished cooking....and I'll let you know which dish went over best!
I'm betting on a new one, onioned meatball appetizer.

I am having my sister and maybe her two grown children over on Friday, to our new home which is finally well set up for entertaining with a real dining room.

Funny story.

I have been sick with a cold, but with the wife being so busy with the holidays, I had her make a shopping list for me to do the shopping before I went to work while she went to the doctor's with her mother.

I dragged myself to the store and found EVERYTHING. Went home put it all away and got ready to go to work.

I was just about to leave when my wife called to tell me that the doctor had given her mother a prescription and so they had to go the store and she had done the shopping so that I did not have to.

<sigh>

Oh, and at work they had free pizza, which I brought some home for leftovers.

The wife had had a friend of the child's over for a play date and they had ordered pizza, and had leftovers for me.

Gee you left out this Presidential Proclamation from 1862, with reference to the 'divine role' in military victories:

THANKSGIVING DAY 1862 for victory in battle BY JEFFERSON DAVIS

"To the People of the Confederate States: Once more upon the plains of Manassas have our armies been blessed by the Lord of Hosts with a triumph over our enemies.

It is my privilege to invite you once more to His footstool, not now in the garb of fasting and sorrow, but with joy and gladness, to render thanks for the great mercies received at His hand.

A few months since, and our enemies poured forth their invading legions upon our soil. They laid waste our fields, polluted our altars and violated the sanctity of our homes. Around our capital they gathered their forces, and with boastful threats, claimed it as already their prize. The brave troops which rallied to its defense have extinguished these vain hopes, and, under the guidance of the same almighty hand, have scattered our enemies and driven them back in dismay.

Uniting these defeated forces and the various armies which had been ravaging our coasts with the army of invasion in Northern Virginia, our enemies have renewed their attempt to subjugate us at the very place where their first effort was defeated, and the vengeance of retributive justice has overtaken the entire host in a second and complete overthrow...."

Now that's one busy God...lol

I couldn't have ordered a better example of the sort of government school grad I described in the OP!

Thanks so much for the verification.

Now...to dispel the ignorance with which you've been steeped.....

1. "The Pilgrims found most of the nearby Indian villages recently abandoned. Of the 3,000 or so Massachuset Indians living in the area in 1614, their number had been reduced to less than 800 by the time the Pilgrims arrived. Another people living in the area were the Wampanoag – whose language, like the Powhatan, Pamunkey and Massachuset, was a branch of Algonquin. Disease had killed as many as 90 percent of the Wampanoag between 1616 and 1618, leaving around 1,200 who were in need of allies against hostile neighboring tribes."
Puritans to the Massachusetts Area

2. And here is one reason that the Pilgrims believed that their adventure had been blessed by God:
"Hardly four months after the Mayflower reached Plymouth Rock.... an Indian reaches your outpost... he opens his mouth. He speaks English! More amazing, he does so with a British accent and the demeanor of someone who had lived and worked among England’s elite.... a Patuxet Indian, associated with the Wampanoag... lured ...onto [a British] ship, ostensibly to discuss the beaver trade. Instead, as Mayflower History.com explains, Hunt kidnapped them to sell them into slavery....“most dishonestly, and inhumanely, for their kind usage of me and all our men, carried them with him to Malaga, and there for a little private gain sold those silly savages for rials of eight.”

... However, local friars sabotaged his scheme. They gained custody of, freed, and Catholicized the remaining Indians, including Squanto. Squanto somehow talked his way to London... Squanto soon found himself bound for Newfoundland,... In 1619, ... Squanto crossed the Atlantic yet again. Destination: Plymouth. To Squanto’s horror, a suspected smallpox outbreak had annihilated his village. Squanto moved in with the nearby Wampanoag, including its leaders, Massasoit and Squanto’s brother Quadequina."
http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...dly-indian-who-dazzled-pilgrims-deroy-murdock

Never learned that in hate school, huh?

Perhaps later I'll teach you to understand land ownership, and the results of diseases in North America.

The Pilgrims survived because of the trading with the Native Americans that first winter, when half of the English immigrants died. They survived the following two winters because the Native Americans taught them how to farm the land.

I couldn't have ordered a better example of the sort of government school grad I described in the OP!

Thanks so much for the verification.

Now...to dispel the ignorance with which you've been steeped.....

1. "The Pilgrims found most of the nearby Indian villages recently abandoned. Of the 3,000 or so Massachuset Indians living in the area in 1614, their number had been reduced to less than 800 by the time the Pilgrims arrived. Another people living in the area were the Wampanoag – whose language, like the Powhatan, Pamunkey and Massachuset, was a branch of Algonquin. Disease had killed as many as 90 percent of the Wampanoag between 1616 and 1618, leaving around 1,200 who were in need of allies against hostile neighboring tribes."
Puritans to the Massachusetts Area

2. And here is one reason that the Pilgrims believed that their adventure had been blessed by God:
"Hardly four months after the Mayflower reached Plymouth Rock.... an Indian reaches your outpost... he opens his mouth. He speaks English! More amazing, he does so with a British accent and the demeanor of someone who had lived and worked among England’s elite.... a Patuxet Indian, associated with the Wampanoag... lured ...onto [a British] ship, ostensibly to discuss the beaver trade. Instead, as Mayflower History.com explains, Hunt kidnapped them to sell them into slavery....“most dishonestly, and inhumanely, for their kind usage of me and all our men, carried them with him to Malaga, and there for a little private gain sold those silly savages for rials of eight.”

... However, local friars sabotaged his scheme. They gained custody of, freed, and Catholicized the remaining Indians, including Squanto. Squanto somehow talked his way to London... Squanto soon found himself bound for Newfoundland,... In 1619, ... Squanto crossed the Atlantic yet again. Destination: Plymouth. To Squanto’s horror, a suspected smallpox outbreak had annihilated his village. Squanto moved in with the nearby Wampanoag, including its leaders, Massasoit and Squanto’s brother Quadequina."
http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...dly-indian-who-dazzled-pilgrims-deroy-murdock

Never learned that in hate school, huh?

Perhaps later I'll teach you to understand land ownership, and the results of diseases in North America.
PC, you would never be allowed to teach American social sciences or history in any quality public or private school in America.

Amen.
you have no familiar connect to this country so it is not your founding fathers

The 'smallpox blankets' is a well-known, but false canard used to convince the less than astute.

Now for your hate America/Europeans myth:

There is the often repeated story of Lord Jeffrey Amherst ordering the distribution of smallpox-infected blankets to the Indians, as an example of ‘germ warfare’ used by Europeans.The story is not documented, except as a ‘possibility.’ See the study of Professor d’Errico:

Historian Francis Parkman, in his bookThe Conspiracy of Pontiac and the Indian War after the Conquest of Canada[Boston: Little, Brown, 1886] refers to a postscript in an earlier letter from Amherst to Bouquet wondering whether smallpox could not be spread among the Indians:

“Could it not be contrived to send the Small Pox among those disaffected tribes of Indians? We must on this occasion use every stratagem in our power to reduce them”. [Vol. II, p. 39 (6th edition)]

I have not found this letter,but there is a letter from Bouquet to Amherst, dated 23 June 1763,[189k] three weeks before the discussion of blankets to the Indians, stating that Captain Ecuyer at Fort Pitt (to which Bouquet would be heading with reinforcements) has reported smallpox in the Fort. This indicates at least that the writers knew the plan could be carried out.

It is curious that the specific plans to spread smallpox were relegated to postscripts.

"Some people have doubted these stories; other people, believing the stories, nevertheless assert that the infected blankets were not intentionally distributed to the Indians, or that Lord Jeff himself is not to blame for the germ warfare tactic."
Amherst and Smallpox

"....I have not found this letter..."

So....there is as much proof of the delivery of small pox blankets to the Indians as there is of Obama having a plan to fight ISIS.

I can't begin to state how 'thankful' I am of your setting up all of the Liberal myths government schools teach.....

.....so I can knock 'em down!

Stealing what???? Their land?

Case in point: prior to the arrival of the colonials, American's prior colonists, the Indians had no concept of private property, and it's meaning in advancing the liberty of all.

1. But didn't the colonists steal THEIR land?

"The implications for the Indian question are straightforward. Namely: In the extremely unlikely event that any particular Indian can show that he personally is the rightful heir of a particular Indian who was wrongfully dispossessed of a particular piece of property, the current occupants should hand him the keys to his birthright and vacate the premises. Otherwise the current occupants have the morally strongest claim to their property,and the status quo should continue.

Anything more is just the doctrine of collective guilt masquerading as a defense of property rights."
Do Indians Rightfully Own America Bryan Caplan EconLog Library of Economics and Liberty

2. "One popular history of Manhattan notes that the Canarsie Indians "dwelt on Long Island, merely trading on Manhattan, and their trickery [in selling what they didn't possess to the Dutch] made it necessary for the white man to buy part of the island over again from the tribes living near Washington Heights. Still more crafty were the Raritans of [Staten Island], for the records show that Staten Island was sold by these Indians no less than six times."
The Straight Dope How much would the 24 paid for Manhattan be worth in today s money

1626 Peter Minuit purchased the island of Manhattan from the Canarsee Native Americans on May 24, 1626. However, the Canarsee were actually native to Brooklyn, while Manhattan was home instead to the Weckquaesgeek,(Wappnai) who were not pleased by the exchange and later battled the Dutch in Kieft's War. [1]
Peter Minuit (1589-1638)

The quotes provided in the OP bear witness to the Founders, and successive Presidents subscribing to Tim Ballard's premise.....

“In the book, “The Covenant,” Timothy Ballard contends that America’s founding fathers tapped into an ancient power to build the nation — a feat they accomplished against all odds. The founders, being well-versed in Biblical understanding, believed that the U.S. was a new Israel of sorts, birthed out of a relationship and a covenant with the Almighty

Ballard maintains that, in contemporary times, the nation risks losing its blessings if individuals don’t recognize the importance of the covenant and an ongoing relationship with God….According to Ballard, they are liberty, protection and prosperity —all elements that the U.S. has traditionally enjoyed….her transformation from an infant nation with little resources and ability to history’s most profound mega-force …” Tim Ballard Discusses ‘The Covenant’ With The Blaze & Glenn Beck | Video | TheBlaze.com

The "history" you and David and the others are writing will be only accepted in the far right church schools, not in the rule halls of education.

Forum List

Back