Taylor Swift wins CMA Entertainer of the Year

I like country music. But then I do like the newer material, I have no doubt I would be rounded on by traditionalists, but they're entitled to do so of course. I mean, it's music, it's meant to be enjoyed, if you don't like it then don't listen. Of course you could always stick knitting needles in your eardrums as well but I wouldn't suggest it.

I never knew Willy Nelson wrote "Crazy", I just thought he was. But what a great song as it's sung by Patsy Clyne.

I prefer "classic" country or 80's and 90's rock most of the time, a few modern bands of eclectic types. But .. you'd be amazed at how many rock songs are actually written by country musicians. Ever here Nine Inch Nails? I think three of their songs (possibly more) were actually country songs, just "boosted".

I've never heard "Nine Inch Nails" I have to admit. I got interested in country music through getting CMT on cable back in about 1997. You know what makes me, in retrospect, chuckle (wryly) a bit? In your summer of 1996 I was in Austin Tx and was invited to The Backyard for a concert. I think I have that venue right. It was sort of rural and everyone was sitting in seats in what felt to me like a quarry :lol: But it was nicely set up, nice bar and everything. My hosts, delightful people, invited me to this concert by a bloke I had never heard of called Hal Ketchum. They told me he was a country singer. I went along with it (I think I may have rolled my eyes privately at one point). I expected hayseeds and twanging. He was pretty damn good.

I've never heard "Nine Inch Nails" I have to admit. I got interested in country music through getting CMT on cable back in about 1997. You know what makes me, in retrospect, chuckle (wryly) a bit? In your summer of 1996 I was in Austin Tx and was invited to The Backyard for a concert. I think I have that venue right. It was sort of rural and everyone was sitting in seats in what felt to me like a quarry :lol: But it was nicely set up, nice bar and everything. My hosts, delightful people, invited me to this concert by a bloke I had never heard of called Hal Ketchum. They told me he was a country singer. I went along with it (I think I may have rolled my eyes privately at one point). I expected hayseeds and twanging. He was pretty damn good.

Hal is pretty good. I like one song of Garth ... but mostly old Willy, thanks to my father. I have The Gambler memorized, still love it, the song has a very good and deep life lesson to it. The Thunder Rolls is the one by Garth I like, because the story is deep and from a very different perspective than one would expect, about a woman who is abused so much she shoots her husband. But otherwise I know why my dad didn't like him, he's very pop-culture for a country star. Hal I have heard a little bit, not enough to form a real solid opinion of though.

Hal is pretty good. I like one song of Garth ... but mostly old Willy, thanks to my father. I have The Gambler memorized, still love it, the song has a very good and deep life lesson to it. The Thunder Rolls is the one by Garth I like, because the story is deep and from a very different perspective than one would expect, about a woman who is abused so much she shoots her husband. But otherwise I know why my dad didn't like him, he's very pop-culture for a country star. Hal I have heard a little bit, not enough to form a real solid opinion of though.

Bah! Kenny Rogers ... my thoughts really come out all mashed up when I type too fast.

Heck I remember Kenny Rogers when he was that singing group he had. From memory they didn't sound country, but it was a while ago.

That's because a lot of his songs were rock songs sung in country. ;)

Elvis was the Gambler really, just learned that one. :lol: Though Elvis did start off as country so not a big surprise Kenny would cover his song.

Forum List

Back