Swedish parents keep 2-year-old's gender secret

I know of a poster who kept his/her gender a secret on another board. It was very funny what people assumed and even funnier when the gender was revealed and certain people went all out ape shit to discover they'd been wrong.

A case study in how most people simply don't pay attention. :cool:

Holy Crap!

I just saw this and haven't read through the thread yet, but this gem really caught my eye.

“We want Pop to grow up more freely and avoid being forced into a specific gender mould from the outset,” Pop’s mother said. “It's cruel to bring a child into the world with a blue or pink stamp on their forehead.”
:rofl:

Sure, like sentencing your kid to this fucking hell is less cruel. :lol:

Why has no one complained that they called their kid "Pop"?

Think of the nicknames!!

Snap, Crackle., Pop

Soda Pop

Popsicle

Lame, I know. Surely there are worse ones out there?

As far as the parents, I don't know about their politics. If they molested the child we could say they are more likely conservative.
That is defamation is the least! :cuckoo:
Much like your views on the middle east you are extremely arrogant!

If your going to make shit up about other people, deal with it if they are going to make shit up about you.

The hardest thing this kid is gonna have to go through is dealing with assholes like you who think they are a freak because they are adrogenous.

Its not an "odd ball" thing to do Its child abuse. Gender identification is critical to psychological developmentm These parents are playing Frankenstein with their own baby.

How many parents of handicapped children try so hard to make them "normal" and fit in with society. These parents are trying to make this kid a freak. Despicable.

I'd have to go back and re-read the clips, but for all we know the couple may just want to provide the child with unisex toys or other mundane asexual environments. When boys are automatically given macho stuff to play with, they'll grow up to have hair on their chest is the hope. I guess. If girls are given dollies, they'll grow up to have big boobs. I guess. Funny how that backfires sometimes. :lol:

Holy Crap!

I just saw this and haven't read through the thread yet, but this gem really caught my eye.

“We want Pop to grow up more freely and avoid being forced into a specific gender mould from the outset,” Pop’s mother said. “It's cruel to bring a child into the world with a blue or pink stamp on their forehead.”

Think of the nicknames!!

Snap, Crackle., Pop

Soda Pop

Popsicle

They speak Swedish...

The premise of the parents in the OP is so absurdly rediculous, that the thread merely exposes those members of our community who have no identity or life other than as someone who sits at a keyboard and finds something- anything- to argue about, to disagree with, to comment on.
- or use to start a thread. :lol:

Holy Crap!

Think of the nicknames!!

Snap, Crackle., Pop

Soda Pop

Popsicle

They speak Swedish...

Ja, tack so mycket.

What does parenting skills have to do with telling people the gender of your child?

Common sense? Thats the phrase people use when they feel something but have no rational basis for feeling such. Just because you act a certain way doesn't mean other people should.

You know, now that I think of it, the real value of this thread is as a "Poster-Trap"!

The premise of the parents in the OP is so absurdly rediculous, that the thread merely exposes those members of our community who have no identity or life other than as someone who sits at a keyboard and finds something- anything- to argue about, to disagree with, to comment on.

I don't want to label anyone as such, so let me just make up some names of folks like that, oh, let's say 'Assiul', and, how about 'Kin'...

And these two, Assiul and Kin, have children, and they let them make up their gender, and their academic credentials, and their body piercings,...

Anyone recall the film "A Thousand Clowns,' where the clild is allowed to make up his own name? And for two weeks this little kid is 'Dr. Morris Fishbein'?

Maybe Assiul and Kin know where the other 998 clowns are.

Umm, they aren't sitting at the keyboard trying to find things to comment on. That would be you. They are just living their life with their kid.

Well, ummmm, so, ummmm, how about it, ummmm, where are the other 998? Fess up.

Holy Crap!

Yes, not being caught in gender norms is so hellish! Because the more expectations people have for us to act a certain way the better our life is!

I'd wager that this kid getting it's ass beat several times a day will render any alleged benefits completely insignificant. The parents are being extremely selfish IMO.

Holy Crap!

Yes, not being caught in gender norms is so hellish! Because the more expectations people have for us to act a certain way the better our life is!

I'd wager that this kid getting it's ass beat several times a day will render any alleged benefits completely insignificant. The parents are being extremely selfish IMO.

I wager he/she will not. You remind me of a friend who insists that gays should not be allowed to be parents because the kids will be teased for having two mommies. I say you and he are living in the past. The kids of today and tomorrow don't have the same hang ups as previous generations.

Holy Crap!

The kid will be growing up in Sweden, not the American south. People are a wee bit more civilized there.

Good thing Sweden has free health care.

Pop will be quite busy at the analyist for some years to come.

'Cruel to assign a gender...'

Oh, that nasty nature! :lol:

I don't see it. I don't see that the kid doesn't know it's own gender. Others aren't being told. Others don't get to tell Pop that he shouldn't cry because "big boys don't cry." They don't get to tell Pop not to catch toads because "little ladies don't play with toads".

I played with toads and didn't believe in fairy tales. I should have though, because I would have tried kissing one and got a prince instead of...just a toad.

I wager he/she will not. You remind me of a friend who insists that gays should not be allowed to be parents because the kids will be teased for having two mommies. I say you and he are living in the past. The kids of today and tomorrow don't have the same hang ups as previous generations.

I respectfully disagree. I think you are living in a fantasyland. When it comes to kids, they are just as cruel today as they've always been. The only difference is now they have myspace and facebook at their disposal to inflict their cruelty. If this kid's classmates get wind of this, it's going to get teased mercilessly. Guaranteed.

A couple of Swedish parents have stirred up debate in the country by refusing to reveal whether their two-and-a-half-year-old child is a boy or a girl.

Pop’s parents [see footnote], both 24, made a decision when their baby was born to keep Pop’s sex a secret. Aside from a select few – those who have changed the child’s diaper – nobody knows Pop’s gender; if anyone enquires, Pop’s parents simply say they don’t disclose this information.

In an interview with newspaper Svenska Dagbladet in March, the parents were quoted saying their decision was rooted in the feminist philosophy that gender is a social construction.

The child's parents said so long as they keep Pop’s gender a secret, he or she will be able to avoid preconceived notions of how people should be treated if male or female.

Pop's wardrobe includes everything from dresses to trousers and Pop's hairstyle changes on a regular basis. And Pop usually decides how Pop is going to dress on a given morning.

Although Pop knows that there are physical differences between a boy and a girl, Pop's parents never use personal pronouns when referring to the child – they just say Pop.

"I believe that the self-confidence and personality that Pop has shaped will remain for a lifetime," said Pop's mother.

But while Pop’s parents say they have received supportive feedback from many of their peers, not everyone agrees that their chosen course of action will have a positive outcome.

Swedish parents keep 2-year-old's gender secret - The Local

Can you take a guess as to whether these parents are liberal or conservative?

Yeah, they're stupid. What a bunch of nonsense.

I respectfully disagree. I think you are living in a fantasyland. When it comes to kids, they are just as cruel today as they've always been. The only difference is now they have myspace and facebook at their disposal to inflict their cruelty. If this kid's classmates get wind of this, it's going to get teased mercilessly. Guaranteed.

Kids are, of course, just as cruel as they've always been. But as kids get exposed to more and more things they find less and less things weird and freakish. Anguille is factually correct about kids of gay parents. It was much, much worse 20 years ago than it is now.

Forum List

Back