Swedish parents keep 2-year-old's gender secret

I lived it.

You lived two separate childhoods in two different generations? Wow, that's a pretty neat trick. :doubt:

Thanks. People who grow up in those situations usually have a pretty strong interest in the next generation, which I do. Its a LOT easier now.
I didn't grow up in that situation but I have friends who did and I agree the younger generations are more accepting.

I guess I didn't read carefully. I thought it was younger. In any case the experiment can't last much longer. Unless the kid decides it want to continue keeping the secret, which doesn't seem likely.

Yep.

Odd referring to a child as "it" though, isn't it? :eusa_eh:

• Thanks
Reactions: Nik
I lived it.

You lived two separate childhoods in two different generations? Wow, that's a pretty neat trick. :doubt:

Thanks. People who grow up in those situations usually have a pretty strong interest in the next generation, which I do. Its a LOT easier now.

I can think a few people in the news that would disagree. But by all means, take your one anecdotal data point and run with it. It's not like you risk losing credibility or anything.

I guess I didn't read carefully. I thought it was younger. In any case the experiment can't last much longer. Unless the kid decides it want to continue keeping the secret, which doesn't seem likely.

Yep.

Its a bug in the English language. We need a gender neutral descriptor. Can use "they", but technically thats plural. S/he works as well, although its clunky, I think thats what one is supposed to use.

I can think a few people in the news that would disagree. But by all means, take your one anecdotal data point and run with it. It's not like you risk losing credibility or anything.

Its not just one anecdotal data point. However, disregarding that, anecdotes are pretty much the best you can do since there weren't studies done on it.

Robin Williams didn't talk till he was three. And look how he turned out! ;) They're all different.

Really? I did not know that. Have to look that up later.

Sweet! That's my new thing to learn for today. I'm done. :woohoo:

My brain is full of completely useless information. I've tried throwing it out but it just hangs around. Once in awhile I get to use it. Stop, I know what you're thinking -- no, not my brain, the information. :tongue:

Don't know where I heard that about Williams. I never checked it out just remembered hearing it. Watch, it'll turn out to be wrong. :lol:

Yep.

Its a bug in the English language. We need a gender neutral descriptor. Can use "they", but technically thats plural. S/he works as well, although its clunky, I think thats what one is supposed to use.

one is what one is supposed to use when one is trying to be gender neutral.

what a surprise one finds it that you don't know that. too.

Yep.

People call unborn babies 'it' all the time. I don't, I refer to them as 'he' because they're not an 'it'. Pop isn't an it either. I think the whole thing is ridiculous. Pop is either male or female and should be referred to as such because Pop is either male or female.

Yep.

one is what one is supposed to use when one is trying to be gender neutral.

what a surprise one finds it that you don't know that. too.

Incorrect. One is a vague nonspecific term. You don't say "one" if you are referring to a particular person.

You wouldn't say, for example, that "one is born in Sweden and ones parents are referring to one as gender neutral". Thats asinine.

Yep.

People call unborn babies 'it' all the time. I don't, I refer to them as 'he' because they're not an 'it'. Pop isn't an it either. I think the whole thing is ridiculous. Pop is either male or female and should be referred to as such because Pop is either male or female.
I wonder if they named it Pop instead of Mom to give us a clue.

Cousin It never minded being called an it. Why should a fetus?

Yep.

I wonder if they named it Pop instead of Mom to give us a clue.

Cousin It never minded being called an it. Why should a fetus?

Cousin It had a choice.

As far as the parents, I don't know about their politics. If they molested the child we could say they are more likely conservative.
That is defamation is the least! :cuckoo:
Much like your views on the middle east you are extremely arrogant!

Data regarding the political affiliation of child molesters shows conservatives to have a higher incidence of child molestation.

As far as the parents, I don't know about their politics. If they molested the child we could say they are more likely conservative.

Data regarding the political affiliation of child molesters shows conservatives to have a higher incidence of child molestation.

BTW, was the study done by a liberal, oh, maybe university?

And how about a trip down memory lane: Mel Reynolds and the underage volunteer:

Prison time? Mel Reynolds serving five years for sleeping with an underage campaign volunteer. This is a first in American politics: An ex-congressman who had sex with a subordinate won clemency from a president who had sex with a subordinate, then was hired by a clergyman [Jesse Jackson] who had sex with a subordinate. His new job? Youth counselor. Mr. Reynolds was never disavowed by his fellow Democrats - instead he was embraced for a great speech on the house floor (where he admitted to the lewd acts) and received three standing ovations. While on the other side of the aisle was no defending of Mr. Foley and instant, overwhelming disdain.
Liberal Hypocrisy ~ The truth shall set YOU free, and have US laughing out loud! LOL!

"In one tape, Reynolds asks Heard to describe sex with her lesbian lover, then asks if he can join Heard in bed with "Theresa," a fictitious 15-year-old Catholic-school girl, whom Heard invented apparently to tempt Reynolds. At one point he begs her to provide lewd photos of the girl. "Jesus," Reynolds says on the tapes, "a Catholic. [...] Did I win the Lotto?"
Mel Reynolds

A couple of Swedish parents have stirred up debate in the country by refusing to reveal whether their two-and-a-half-year-old child is a boy or a girl.

Pop’s parents [see footnote], both 24, made a decision when their baby was born to keep Pop’s sex a secret. Aside from a select few – those who have changed the child’s diaper – nobody knows Pop’s gender; if anyone enquires, Pop’s parents simply say they don’t disclose this information.

In an interview with newspaper Svenska Dagbladet in March, the parents were quoted saying their decision was rooted in the feminist philosophy that gender is a social construction.

“We want Pop to grow up more freely and avoid being forced into a specific gender mould from the outset,” Pop’s mother said. “It's cruel to bring a child into the world with a blue or pink stamp on their forehead.”

The child's parents said so long as they keep Pop’s gender a secret, he or she will be able to avoid preconceived notions of how people should be treated if male or female.

Pop's wardrobe includes everything from dresses to trousers and Pop's hairstyle changes on a regular basis. And Pop usually decides how Pop is going to dress on a given morning.

Although Pop knows that there are physical differences between a boy and a girl, Pop's parents never use personal pronouns when referring to the child – they just say Pop.

"I believe that the self-confidence and personality that Pop has shaped will remain for a lifetime," said Pop's mother.

But while Pop’s parents say they have received supportive feedback from many of their peers, not everyone agrees that their chosen course of action will have a positive outcome.

Swedish parents keep 2-year-old's gender secret - The Local

Can you take a guess as to whether these parents are liberal or conservative?
I'm wondering why you feel the need to sit in judgement.

BTW - I have been involved with handicapped children most of my adult life. Great progress has been made as far as acceptance and opportunity for these kids. Shame on those who say that they should embrace their disabilities.

We can choose our roles but we do not get to choose our gender. Unless we are rich like Chaz Bono and can find a proper surgeon.

Is homosexuality a "choice"?

Wackos.
In Sweden one doesn't have to worry about the ability to pay for medical treatment .. neither Pop nor Chaz.

BTW, was the study done by a liberal, oh, maybe university?

Mel Reynolds

I am not aware of any formal study, only police and court records. Arrest and convictions for child molestation, among known political candidates and officers is heavily skewed towards conservatives. There are several compilations of known conservative and liberal child molesters available. The numbers among conservatives only seem to show that a child molester, active in politics, is more likely to be a conservative.

Forum List

Back