Swedish parents keep 2-year-old's gender secret

Kids are, of course, just as cruel as they've always been. But as kids get exposed to more and more things they find less and less things weird and freakish. Anguille is factually correct about kids of gay parents. It was much, much worse 20 years ago than it is now.

And your evidence?

I'd wager that this kid getting it's ass beat several times a day will render any alleged benefits completely insignificant. The parents are being extremely selfish IMO.

I wager he/she will not. You remind me of a friend who insists that gays should not be allowed to be parents because the kids will be teased for having two mommies. I say you and he are living in the past. The kids of today and tomorrow don't have the same hang ups as previous generations.

I respectfully disagree. I think you are living in a fantasyland. When it comes to kids, they are just as cruel today as they've always been. The only difference is now they have myspace and facebook at their disposal to inflict their cruelty. If this kid's classmates get wind of this, it's going to get teased mercilessly. Guaranteed.
Not if it's a popular kid like you. Besides you can't protect kids from all teasing. It's part of growing up.

Isn't it painfully clear that these parents have no parenting skills and no common sense either?

And BTW, I've regularly proclaimed quite proudly that I am a conservative.

What does parenting skills have to do with telling people the gender of your child?

Common sense? Thats the phrase people use when they feel something but have no rational basis for feeling such. Just because you act a certain way doesn't mean other people should.

You know, now that I think of it, the real value of this thread is as a "Poster-Trap"!

The premise of the parents in the OP is so absurdly rediculous, that the thread merely exposes those members of our community who have no identity or life other than as someone who sits at a keyboard and finds something- anything- to argue about, to disagree with, to comment on.I don't want to label anyone as such, so let me just make up some names of folks like that, oh, let's say 'Assiul', and, how about 'Kin'...

And these two, Assiul and Kin, have children, and they let them make up their gender, and their academic credentials, and their body piercings,...

Anyone recall the film "A Thousand Clowns,' where the clild is allowed to make up his own name? And for two weeks this little kid is 'Dr. Morris Fishbein'?

Maybe Assiul and Kin know where the other 998 clowns are.

And yet you felt you needed to post it anyway, and invite comments by smugly suggesting that the couple are "liberal."

Haha, those crazy Swedes. Always doing crazy things. Anybody remember that Swedish couple that fought a legal battle to name their girl "Metallica"? Now that is cool.

Anyway, "Liberal or Conservative"? They're Swedes! Please. What do you think?

Kids are, of course, just as cruel as they've always been. But as kids get exposed to more and more things they find less and less things weird and freakish. Anguille is factually correct about kids of gay parents. It was much, much worse 20 years ago than it is now.

And your evidence?

I lived it.

And your evidence?

I lived it.

oh, well, that seals the deal.
:rofl:

you're killing me.

Besides you can't protect kids from all teasing. It's part of growing up.

All the more reason to not be manufacturing new reasons for your kid to be teased.
Well good thing we don't have kids together because I think you are being Chicken Little about this. I think the risk of harm to the kid is minimal and it might actually do it some good in that it won't pick up gender expectations from others.

In any case, this will only last for a few years or so. The kid is going to identify itself as a boy or a girl not long after it begins to speak. This is not an experiment that can be expected to last past the age when it starts going to school.

The kid is what, two? In a few years Pop will be in school and will refer to him/her self as either a boy or girl. And certainly when he/she plays 'doctor' at some point. The situation will resolve itself. Like it or not, Pop is likely either a boy or girl, he/she knows what it is and the world will know at some point. Whether or not the world cares, that's another matter.

Those Swedes, crazy, crazy. Except for the fish, they're pretty good.

And your evidence?

I lived it.

You lived two separate childhoods in two different generations? Wow, that's a pretty neat trick. :doubt:

Well good thing we don't have kids together because I think you are being Chicken Little about this. I think the risk of harm to the kid is minimal and it might actually do it some good in that it won't pick up gender expectations from others.

In any case, this will only last for a few years or so. The kid is going to identify itself as a boy or a girl not long after it begins to speak. This is not an experiment that can be expected to last past the age when it starts going to school.

The kid is two. Shouldn't he or she already be speaking rather well at this point? :eusa_eh:

Besides you can't protect kids from all teasing. It's part of growing up.

All the more reason to not be manufacturing new reasons for your kid to be teased.

I hope you're right, for the kid's sake.

I still say the parents are being selfish.

The kid is two. Shouldn't he or she already be speaking rather well at this point? :eusa_eh:

Robin Williams didn't talk till he was three. And look how he turned out! ;) They're all different.

I guess I didn't read carefully. I thought it was younger. In any case the experiment can't last much longer. Unless the kid decides it want to continue keeping the secret, which doesn't seem likely.

Forum List

Back