Swedish parents keep 2-year-old's gender secret

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
A couple of Swedish parents have stirred up debate in the country by refusing to reveal whether their two-and-a-half-year-old child is a boy or a girl.

Pop’s parents [see footnote], both 24, made a decision when their baby was born to keep Pop’s sex a secret. Aside from a select few – those who have changed the child’s diaper – nobody knows Pop’s gender; if anyone enquires, Pop’s parents simply say they don’t disclose this information.

In an interview with newspaper Svenska Dagbladet in March, the parents were quoted saying their decision was rooted in the feminist philosophy that gender is a social construction.

“We want Pop to grow up more freely and avoid being forced into a specific gender mould from the outset,” Pop’s mother said. “It's cruel to bring a child into the world with a blue or pink stamp on their forehead.”

The child's parents said so long as they keep Pop’s gender a secret, he or she will be able to avoid preconceived notions of how people should be treated if male or female.

Pop's wardrobe includes everything from dresses to trousers and Pop's hairstyle changes on a regular basis. And Pop usually decides how Pop is going to dress on a given morning.

Although Pop knows that there are physical differences between a boy and a girl, Pop's parents never use personal pronouns when referring to the child – they just say Pop.

"I believe that the self-confidence and personality that Pop has shaped will remain for a lifetime," said Pop's mother.

But while Pop’s parents say they have received supportive feedback from many of their peers, not everyone agrees that their chosen course of action will have a positive outcome.

Swedish parents keep 2-year-old's gender secret - The Local

Can you take a guess as to whether these parents are liberal or conservative?

Did you ever think maybe Pop is both and there are waiting for he/she to decide what they want to be?
Plus we can tell you are a conservative because you feel the need to question someone else's parenting skills.

Isn't it painfully clear that these parents have no parenting skills and no common sense either?

And BTW, I've regularly proclaimed quite proudly that I am a conservative.

A couple of Swedish parents have stirred up debate in the country by refusing to reveal whether their two-and-a-half-year-old child is a boy or a girl.

Pop’s parents [see footnote], both 24, made a decision when their baby was born to keep Pop’s sex a secret. Aside from a select few – those who have changed the child’s diaper – nobody knows Pop’s gender; if anyone enquires, Pop’s parents simply say they don’t disclose this information.

In an interview with newspaper Svenska Dagbladet in March, the parents were quoted saying their decision was rooted in the feminist philosophy that gender is a social construction.

“We want Pop to grow up more freely and avoid being forced into a specific gender mould from the outset,” Pop’s mother said. “It's cruel to bring a child into the world with a blue or pink stamp on their forehead.”

The child's parents said so long as they keep Pop’s gender a secret, he or she will be able to avoid preconceived notions of how people should be treated if male or female.

Pop's wardrobe includes everything from dresses to trousers and Pop's hairstyle changes on a regular basis. And Pop usually decides how Pop is going to dress on a given morning.

Although Pop knows that there are physical differences between a boy and a girl, Pop's parents never use personal pronouns when referring to the child – they just say Pop.

"I believe that the self-confidence and personality that Pop has shaped will remain for a lifetime," said Pop's mother.

But while Pop’s parents say they have received supportive feedback from many of their peers, not everyone agrees that their chosen course of action will have a positive outcome.

Interesting idea on how to raise your child.

But ..

"

The child's parents said so long as they keep Pop’s gender a secret, he or she will be able to avoid preconceived notions of how people should be treated if male or female."

.. I think they are ignoring that by presenting the child as a neuter, so to speak, they are putting it into a third category in which it may be perceived as a freak and that is also cruel.

I wonder how long they can maintain the secrecy before the child starts to speak and identifies itself as a girl or boy?

Last edited:
Did you ever think maybe Pop is both and there are waiting for he/she to decide what they want to be?
Plus we can tell you are a conservative because you feel the need to question someone else's parenting skills.

Isn't it painfully clear that these parents have no parenting skills and no common sense either?

What does parenting skills have to do with telling people the gender of your child?

Common sense? Thats the phrase people use when they feel something but have no rational basis for feeling such. Just because you act a certain way doesn't mean other people should.

Really! You are a conservative? I had no idea!:tongue:
And no, there parenting skills just defer from yours.
I always think it is funny that conservatives always play the PC card on liberals but when something doesn't fit in the social norm they are the first ones to call it out.:cuckoo:

I grew up with a kid in that situation. The child was allowed to live as a boy and a girl at different times. They were trying to figure out if the child was more masculine or feminine. In the end, it was decided it was a boy. There was surgery done to make it official. I think they got it wrong. He turned out to be the fruitiest gay man you ever saw.

As far as the parents, I don't know about their politics. If they molested the child we could say they are more likely conservative.

a couple of swedish parents have stirred up debate in the country by refusing to reveal whether their two-and-a-half-year-old child is a boy or a girl.

Pop’s parents [see footnote], both 24, made a decision when their baby was born to keep pop’s sex a secret. Aside from a select few – those who have changed the child’s diaper – nobody knows pop’s gender; if anyone enquires, pop’s parents simply say they don’t disclose this information.

In an interview with newspaper svenska dagbladet in march, the parents were quoted saying their decision was rooted in the feminist philosophy that gender is a social construction.

“we want pop to grow up more freely and avoid being forced into a specific gender mould from the outset,” pop’s mother said. “it's cruel to bring a child into the world with a blue or pink stamp on their forehead.”

the child's parents said so long as they keep pop’s gender a secret, he or she will be able to avoid preconceived notions of how people should be treated if male or female.

Pop's wardrobe includes everything from dresses to trousers and pop's hairstyle changes on a regular basis. And pop usually decides how pop is going to dress on a given morning.

Although pop knows that there are physical differences between a boy and a girl, pop's parents never use personal pronouns when referring to the child – they just say pop.

"i believe that the self-confidence and personality that pop has shaped will remain for a lifetime," said pop's mother.

But while pop’s parents say they have received supportive feedback from many of their peers, not everyone agrees that their chosen course of action will have a positive outcome.

$thumb-Predictbadly.jpg

I saw a Dr.90210 where they did the same sort of thing to. The parents made the child become a female but when he could decided he became a man.

a couple of swedish parents have stirred up debate in the country by refusing to reveal whether their two-and-a-half-year-old child is a boy or a girl.

Pop’s parents [see footnote], both 24, made a decision when their baby was born to keep pop’s sex a secret. Aside from a select few – those who have changed the child’s diaper – nobody knows pop’s gender; if anyone enquires, pop’s parents simply say they don’t disclose this information.

In an interview with newspaper svenska dagbladet in march, the parents were quoted saying their decision was rooted in the feminist philosophy that gender is a social construction.

“we want pop to grow up more freely and avoid being forced into a specific gender mould from the outset,” pop’s mother said. “it's cruel to bring a child into the world with a blue or pink stamp on their forehead.”

the child's parents said so long as they keep pop’s gender a secret, he or she will be able to avoid preconceived notions of how people should be treated if male or female.

Pop's wardrobe includes everything from dresses to trousers and pop's hairstyle changes on a regular basis. And pop usually decides how pop is going to dress on a given morning.

Although pop knows that there are physical differences between a boy and a girl, pop's parents never use personal pronouns when referring to the child – they just say pop.

"i believe that the self-confidence and personality that pop has shaped will remain for a lifetime," said pop's mother.

But while pop’s parents say they have received supportive feedback from many of their peers, not everyone agrees that their chosen course of action will have a positive outcome.

View attachment 7580
That looks like my brother's old dog! :eek:

It's not clear at all. No mention is made in the article about how they raise the child overall.

That they do this one, slightly oddball thing does not make them bad parents.

Who knows, it may benefit the child in the end. They are trying out something new. I really don't see how this could harm the child in any significant way. It's worth the experiment.

The fact that they are from Sweden gives you a clue.

That is what I was thinking!:razz:
Of course they are more likely to be liberal and the mom probably got to stay home with the child for at least six months, so the child is probably better off than most children who's parents make them live within a certain gender.:razz:

Interesting idea on how to raise your child.

But ..

"

The child's parents said so long as they keep Pop’s gender a secret, he or she will be able to avoid preconceived notions of how people should be treated if male or female."

.. I think they are ignoring that by presenting the child as a neuter, so to speak, they are putting it into a third category in which it may be perceived as a freak and that is also cruel.

I wonder how long they can maintain the secrecy before the child starts to speak and identifies itself as a girl or boy?

the major road block i see...if its a boy.....boys like to pee outside...dont ask me why...and are much easier to toilet train if allowed to do so

Forum List

Back