Surplus swells as Gov. Jerry Brown's last budget grows to $199 billion

Surpluses Help, but Fiscal Woes for States Go On

And California, which faced a $26 billion deficit two years ago, expects a surplus of between $1.2 billion and $4.4 billion this year, thanks to a combination of tax increases, budget cuts and an improving economy. But it could be erased if the state were to adequately finance its teachers’ pension fund, which says it will need an additional $4.5 billion a year, much of it from the state, to pay the benefits it promised.

“The problems are still there,” said Richard Ravitch, a former lieutenant governor of New York who formed a State Budget Crisis Task Force last year to focus attention on the long-term problems facing states. “It’s retirement expenses, generally, and health care expenses — and they’re crowding out other things.”

Foo Foo Foo, if you have a trillion in debt it's not possible to have a surplus

Idiot. Annual budgets can have surpluses just like in my own personal life when I had a mortgage and owed a few hundred thousand over thirty years.

We paid it off in 12 years because we had budget surpluses during every one of those years and the house was always worth more than what was owed.

Now with no outstanding debt we have budget surpluses that are even better without debt, but. I would never be so ignorant to say that you can’t have an annual budget surplus based on income and expenses.

And going into debt to buy a home is the smartest thing anyone can do if they can make the payments over a long period of time. Do you disagree?

Foo Foo Foo, if you have a trillion in debt it's not possible to have a surplus

Idiot. Annual budgets can have surpluses just like in my own personal life when I had a mortgage and owed a few hundred thousand over thirty years.

We paid it off in 12 years because we had budget surpluses during every one of those years and the house was always worth more than what was owed.

Now with no outstanding debt we have budget surpluses that are even better without debt, but. I would never be so ignorant to say that you can’t have an annual budget surplus based on income and expenses.

And going into debt to buy a home is the smartest thing anyone can do if they can make the payments over a long period of time. Do you disagree?

You typed that long winded BS for nothing. I didn't read it because unlike you I know if you have trillions in debt you can't have surpluses. Include the pensions in the budget as they should be and BOOM! disaster

Idiot

Live there if you like the way things are set up. Don't if you don't. Variety is good.
That would be fine and dandy, but the libtards are determined to change the rest of the country into California
Well, there's that, or we can look at it as a huge socio-economic Petri dish, and look for ideas that work and don't work.

There's a huge and growing chasm between the two ends right now. An open mind here and there wouldn't kill us. The opposite may, though.

Live there if you like the way things are set up. Don't if you don't. Variety is good.
That would be fine and dandy, but the libtards are determined to change the rest of the country into California
Well, there's that, or we can look at it as a huge socio-economic Petri dish, and look for ideas that work and don't work.

There's a huge and growing chasm between the two ends right now. An open mind here and there wouldn't kill us. The opposite may, though.

Once again people flee the liberal Utopia hell holes and then complain why isn't their new city or state like them, it's not the other way around..

I wouldn't live in California if I won a billion dollars..

SassyIrishLass, post: 20003364
You typed that long winded BS for nothing. I didn't read it because unlike you I know if you have trillions in debt you can't have surpluses. Include the pensions in the budget as they should be and BOOM! disaster

No trading it is your admission of willful ignorance.

Everyone knows annual budgets exist. And surpluses exist when an entity or person makes more money than they spent for that year.

Total debt must be serviced as part of calculating annual surpluses.

Saying there is no such thing as an annual surplus is pure ignorance. Keep it up.

SassyIrishLass, post: 20003364

No trading it is your admission of willful ignorance.

Everyone knows annual budgets exist. And surpluses exist when an entity or person makes more money than they spent for that year.

Nope they don't have a surplus with over a trillion in unfunded debt.

/discussion

They are not saying they are debt free. They are having annual surpluses while servicing in full all binding debt obligations for the budgeted year and projected to come.

So you actually think you know more about financial lingo used than the WSJ.

U.S.
Jerry Brown’s Legacy: A $6.1 Billion Budget Surplus in California

Only a pathetic ignorant boob could think that.

They are not saying they are debt free. They are having annual surpluses while servicing in full all binding debt obligations for the budgeted year and projected to come.

U.S.
The governor hopes to avoid the fate of predecessors who left office with big
:itsok:

U.S.

When you learn the difference between bet worth and budget surplus/deficits or balanced budget let us know.

Until then we know you prefer displaying ignorance over anything else.

U.S.

When you learn the difference between bet worth and budget surplus/deficits or balanced budget let us know.

Until then we know you prefer displaying ignorance over anything else.

When you figure out debt/surplus I'll fall over

You're once again running your dumbass piehole about something you know nothing about.

Freaking old retard

092l.png

Gov. Jerry Brown is using a surging, $8.8 billion surplus in his 16th and final year leading the state to stash billions of dollars in reserves.

He wants to put almost all of the additional money — $7.6 billion of it — into two reserve funds that combined would hold $17 billion a year from now if trends hold.

He warned at a press conference Friday where he unveiled his final budget for the 2018-19 financial year that a recession could be just around the corner and the state should avoid long-term commitments that it might not be able to afford in a downturn.

Brown is making moves to keep those subsidies alive to balance other states budgets too!

You can put lipstick on a pig.....

But in the end you still have a Pig..

Gov. Jerry Brown is using a surging, $8.8 billion surplus in his 16th and final year leading the state to stash billions of dollars in reserves.

He wants to put almost all of the additional money — $7.6 billion of it — into two reserve funds that combined would hold $17 billion a year from now if trends hold.

He warned at a press conference Friday where he unveiled his final budget for the 2018-19 financial year that a recession could be just around the corner and the state should avoid long-term commitments that it might not be able to afford in a downturn.

Brown is making moves to keep those subsidies alive to balance other states budgets too!

What a moron. Why doesn't he lower state taxes that are harming the middle class?

-Geaux

Forum List

Back