Suggestions needed

saveliberty

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2009
I found my copy of DOS 3.3 on two 5.25" floppies, manual included. What should I do?

Last edited:
Gee, it has a 3.5" disk too.

Says its the base for thousands of application programs.

I found my copy of DOS 3.3 on two 5.25" floppies, manual included. What should I do?

Sell them to Antiques Roadshow.

This is funny. I was cleaning out old paperwork boxes in my barn last week and found a receipt for a computer I bought in 1990. It had 2 MB of RAM and a 40 MB hard drive. It was state-of-the-art baby. It had a monochrome monitor. It cost $980. Think about this: those 2 GB thumb drives cluttering up your desk drawers, they have 50 times the storage capacity of the hard drive in this 1990 computer.

That is funny I did the exact same thing this past week. I am cleaning out my mom's house since she died. I found a bunch of these old disks, including DOS and the manuals that went with them. I started to keep them but then I was like "Why?"

Was it hooked up to a dot matrix printer?

I don't think I had a printer then. We had a few at work. They were pretty expensive back then. You know what's terrible? You can buy a Canon PIXMA MG3500 printer, ink included, on sale, for cheaper than you can buy replacement ink. I'm an environmental criminal...and so is Canon. I just buy a new printer when I need ink, and dump the old one at the landfill. Done it three times now.

Was it hooked up to a dot matrix printer?

I don't think I had a printer then. We had a few at work. They were pretty expensive back then. You know what's terrible? You can buy a Canon PIXMA MG3500 printer, ink included, on sale, for cheaper than you can buy replacement ink. I'm an environmental criminal...and so is Canon. I just buy a new printer when I need ink, and dump the old one at the landfill. Done it three times now.

That is because you are buying cannon. Go with brother. They are more expensive up front but the toner cartridges are a lot cheaper. I have a brother printer that is about 10 years old that is probably 3 times its drum life and still running like a peach. I have some other brother 4-1 machines that also are really worth the extra few bucks. Cannon and Xerox basically give you the printer and then rape you on the toner.

Frame it and make it into wall art!

That would be kinda cool right? Maybe?

Yeah I just cannot see that being cool. I did save the old 3.5" though since I still have a functioning computer that can take those.

How about this?

5 Useful Things You Can Create With Your Old Floppy Disks

6 creative uses for the obsolete floppy disk - Shareables

Maybe. I will copy them onto CD's. Like I said, all the old school 5.25's went into the trash already.

I am just not sure what to do. I mean after the zombie apocalypse DOS might be all we have left. :)

Forum List

Back