Need a New Laptop ...

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
... what do you like? recommend?

No MACs, too much $$$

Looking to spend under $650.

Bought an HP Pavilion 14". Don't really like the smaller size (15.6" is what I've been using), keyboard wasn't quite the right touch ... cheapy slippy plastic keys. Also has a touchscreen but I don't think I'll use it on a laptop and don't see the point of paying more for that feature. Am returning it tomorrow.

Windows 8.1 .... hmmmmm. I'm sure I'd get used to it but not too sure about it. Doesn't seem very intuitive.

Found a Toshiba and HP, both 15.6", with Windows 7.

Thoughts?

Depends completely on your use of course, but at some point someone is going to make a larger chromebook. Which is a blazing fast/simple device far better than Microsoft Surface.
But since you want a larger size than 14"...my advice - stay away from HP's. I have never had good luck with HP laptops.
Lenova beats most. They have outstanding service records.

Depends completely on your use of course, but at some point someone is going to make a larger chromebook. Which is a blazing fast/simple device far better than Microsoft Surface.
But since you want a larger size than 14"...my advice - stay away from HP's. I have never had good luck with HP laptops.
Lenova beats most. They have outstanding service records.

I was checking out the Lenovo's. Found one I liked on BestBuy.com but after looking around, found it for $60 less on Amazon.

Thanks for the input you guys!

If you have a Best Buy nearby go and "try out" the laptops on display, that way you can "feel" the keyboard and check out the options.

If you have a Best Buy nearby go and "try out" the laptops on display, that way you can "feel" the keyboard and check out the options.

Yup, that's what I was doing on Thurs. LOVE the Lenovo keyboards, very comfortable to type on.

However! I YouTubed my laptop (six yr old Dell Inspiron -- stop laughing) and sure enough, the hinge problem is a design issue but I found a vid that showed how to fix it. Seriously, 10 mins and it was fixed. Took the frame off, bent the hinge down, screwed the two screws back in, tightened up the other side, put the frame back, small piece of duct tape on the front bottom of the frame where it split apart just so it doesn't move around. Problem solved plus I fixed the wiggly screen!

I would stay away from Toshiba.

Picked up an ASUS multi media laptop a couple months ago and it's been flawless.
While it's a little out of your price range they do have some lower priced models.

Yeah, I've heard that about Toshiba's. Have heard Lenovo's are good the one I was looking at was $730 at BB, $670 on Amazon. Not too sure about Windows 8.1 though. Do you like it? I'm running Vista (stop laughing!) and never had any problem with hit. Supposedly Windows 10 is coming out fall of 2015. Sounds like they are going to try to make Window 7 and Windows 8 people both happy. They're bringing back the start menu, so that's a start!

Picked up an ASUS multi media laptop a couple months ago and it's been flawless.
While it's a little out of your price range they do have some lower priced models.

Yeah, I've heard that about Toshiba's. Have heard Lenovo's are good the one I was looking at was $730 at BB, $670 on Amazon. Not too sure about Windows 8.1 though. Do you like it? I'm running Vista (stop laughing!) and never had any problem with hit. Supposedly Windows 10 is coming out fall of 2015. Sounds like they are going to try to make Window 7 and Windows 8 people both happy. They're bringing back the start menu, so that's a start!

The new Windows took some getting use to but I actually like it now.
I was looking at the Lenovo's when I ran across the ASUS in best buy,It basically had more of everything in my price range. I set out to spend around $1500.00 and ended up paying $1200.00 for the ASUS.
I'll buy another in a couple of years and hand this one down to the wife.:biggrin:

Yup, that's what I was doing on Thurs. LOVE the Lenovo keyboards, very comfortable to type on.

However! I YouTubed my laptop (six yr old Dell Inspiron -- stop laughing) and sure enough, the hinge problem is a design issue but I found a vid that showed how to fix it. Seriously, 10 mins and it was fixed. Took the frame off, bent the hinge down, screwed the two screws back in, tightened up the other side, put the frame back, small piece of duct tape on the front bottom of the frame where it split apart just so it doesn't move around. Problem solved plus I fixed the wiggly screen!
My wifes Dell Inspiron is probably as old and slow. Been trying to find her one she likes but no luck so far. The first one I'm now using and the second one is getting returned tomorrow.
She's stuck with what she has for now.........

My wifes Dell Inspiron is probably as old and slow. Been trying to find her one she likes but no luck so far. The first one I'm now using and the second one is getting returned tomorrow.

ZaReason Strata 7440

ZaReason Strata 7440
Must be a 17" and must NOT have the number pad on the keyboard.

ZaReason Strata 7440

I get not wanting the numeric keypad on the keyboard, it shifts the keyboard to the left and the touchpad often isn't centered but more to the left. I don't have the keypad now and would prefer any new laptop I get to not have it. However, everything I was looking at had it. You might look at Dell's ... their keyboards are smaller and some of them may not have the keypad. Any wiggle room on the keypad? Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it? I was looking at an HP Pavilion at BB, 17.3". While it did have the keypad it was very, very comfortable/nice to type on.

The Lenovo's keypad was uber comfortable to type on. Many models are backlit too, a plus in my eyes. I'm pretty tactile and I tried all the models out at BB and found Lenovo's to be quite nice, very easy to type on, not many typos. I don't like slippy, really hard plastic keys, I prefer either a bit concave or flat with a less slippy surface.

ZaReason Strata 7440

I get that, I have one of those USB numpads as I quote jobs at home a lot.
I also had a laptop with the numpad on it (Gateway) and I hated it. It messes up the layout of the rest of the board...so I gave it to my daughter.

The Lenovo's keypad was uber comfortable to type on. Many models are backlit too, a plus in my eyes....I don't like slippy, really hard plastic keys, I prefer either a bit concave or flat with a less slippy surface.
Hands down the best laptop I ever owned was a Mac Titanium. Not only gorgeous, but a HUUGE bonus was the lighted keys. The letters on the keys were lit up...that was fantastic when using in the dark. The keys were also concave.
It was my work computer. I loved that thing.

I was shopping for a new laptop not long ago and really considered a Mac Pro. But, I just could not justify spending that much money.

I bought an Acer Aspire, 17" screen, from Best Buy dot com, free shipping, fraction of the cost of a Mac. I've had it about a month and like it fine. I chose it because I didn't want Windows7 and this one has 7. It does have some small features that I really like and had not seen before.

Note that although I've found most things cheaper on Amazon, this was not.

Another one I considered was (I think) a Lenovo with a touch screen but playing with Windows 8 made me go with the Acer with 7 on it.

You can also buy a cord for transferring data from your old computer to the new one. I expected the cord to be pricey but it was only something like $7-8.

I've had two Toshibas and liked them both. They seemed to be real workhorses. I just didn't like what I saw with what's available right now and Acer has gotten to be a big name.

Also, we had a small Acer for travel and liked it well enough although I prefer my iPad. Ended up giving the Acer to our house cleaner's son. Now have a small Samsung Chrome, brand new and will be giving it to a friend's son. Gotta stop buying new computers and giving them away.

I hate the touchpad. When I worked, I used to have the IT department disable it, just so I could use the eraser head. Unfortunately, every laptop out is using the touchpad. I am a touch typist and hit the keys pretty hard when I'm motoring over the keyboard. As a result, it will cause the cursor to float everywhere, and if I am not vigilant will highlight and erase what I have just typed. All laptops have this annoying problem. Instead of resting the heels of my hand on the table below the keypad, I have to keep my hands raised and just dab at the keys, just to keep erasing what I have typed previously. If a laptop were my only computer, I would have to install an extra keyboard because the laptop keyboard leaves a lot to be desired.

Forum List

Back