Study Finds Black Male's Useless

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Big D, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    According to new research from NU's Center for Labor Market Studies, employment rates and labor market attachment among African-American men have declined dramatically since the Civil Rights era.

Newswise — Against the celebratory backdrop of the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1954 ruling in Brown versus Board of Education, a new labor market study finds that many of the nation’s African-American men face growing joblessness and year-round idleness problems.

The new report, titled “Trends in Black Male Joblessness and Year-Round Idleness: An Employment Crisis Ignored” and prepared for the Alternative Schools Network in Chicago, Ill., Northeastern University’s Center for Labor Market Studies and economist Andrew Sum analyzed both long-term and recent employment developments among the nation’s black males, finding that, since the era of Civil Rights some five decades back, African-American men have suffered a serious decline in labor force attachment and participation.

Employment rates among black male teens and young adults ages 16 to 19 have dropped considerably over the past 50 years, the study found. In 1954, a slight majority -- 52 percent -- of black male teens worked, a rate slightly in excess of their white peers. By 2003, however, only one of five black male teens was employed in a typical month – just 20 percent -- only half the employment rate of white male teens. Among 20 to 24 year old black males, employment rates also have declined considerably from their peak values of 77 to 83 percent in the mid to late 1960s to dramatic 50-year lows more recently. During 2003, for example, just 56 percent of such young black men ages 20 to 24 was employed.

Among older black men, the same dramatic declines were noted over time, according to the report. While the employment rates of black men rise from their late teens through their mid 30s, high levels of joblessness prevail among these men into their late 20s (30 percent of 25 to 29 year old black men were jobless in 2003, for example), then rise sharply as they reach their mid-50s. One of the most disturbing findings was the high share of black males ages 20 to 64 that were jobless year-round. In 2002, one of every four black men in this age group – a full quarter of the entire population within this wide age range -- was idle all year-round, up from 20 percent in the peak labor market year of 2002.

The report’s key findings also include:

* Among the nation’s black teens, fewer than 20 percent, age 16 to 19, were employed during 2003, an employment rate just half that of white teens;

* Among 20 to 24 year old black men, employment rates averaged just 57 percent during the past three years, compared with an average of 80 percent employment in the late 1960s. The E/P (employment to population) ratio of young black men in 2003 lagged well behind the white male employment rate by nearly 20 percentage points;

* In 2002, a full quarter of African-American men ages 20 to 64 were not employed at any point during the year. The year-round joblessness rate for black adult males in 2002 was twice as high as that of white and Hispanic males;

* The year-round idleness rate for black men varies by age, educational attainment, and geographic location. Idleness rates in 2002 ranged from a low of 18 percent for those ages 35 to 44 to a high of nearly 42 percent for those 55 to 64. Forty-four percent of black men with no high school diploma were idle year-round versus 26 percent of high school graduates and only 13 percent of those with a bachelor’s or higher degree.

* In every educational group, black males living in central cities were more likely to be idle year-round than their peers in the suburban segments of metropolitan areas.

“Developing effective public policy responses to this growing problem of black male joblessness and idleness will not be easy,” lead author and economics professor Andrew Sum said. “There is no one or two simple strategies that will markedly alter the employment situation of black males, especially those with no formal schooling beyond high school. But a diverse array of macro- and micro-economic strategies, both short- and long-term, will be needed to substantively boost the employment rates of members of this group, especially among the young.”

Sum and his colleagues recommend a series of initiatives to counter the worsening of this trend among African-American men, including job creation programs, expansion of school-to-career transition programs, social and economic investments in literacy and numeracy programs to develop skills while in schools, and a concerted effort to improve employability and earnings among black men.
    http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/506187/

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I wonder if that study includes rising numbers of military servicemen and women of colour? Or the rising number of Pro Athletes of colour?

hmm..

3. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It was done on ALL black males.

What is most interesting is the fact as blacks have attained more freedom threw history, blacks have consistently returned back to there true nature of ignorance and laziness.

“The Negroes' rude ignorance has never invented any effectual weapons of defense or destruction: they appear incapable of forming any extensive plans of government or conquest: and the obvious inferiority of their mental faculties has been discovered and abused by the nations of the temperate zone.”

4. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,917

No matter... they're our problem, and we gotta deal with it.

I'm curious... you're good at pointing out the problem, but I don't believe I've ever heard you make a suggestion as to what to do about it. So, what is you're suggested solution to the black man problem?

5. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    :wtf:

6. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I have two black male instuctors on my staff. One teaches rotary wing aerodynamics and one teaches instrument flight procedures.

So far, they've been doing a damn good job. But after reading your article, I'm worried.

Any idea when I can expect these guys to revert to their "true nature"?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Big D, I saw you online viewing this thread. Why did you not answer Merlin's question?

8. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,917

Or mine...

9. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't support the 'reverting back" theory but what I think it is they do well when an existing structure is in place. Take away the structure or destroy it and the problems begin. They cannot build because someone else will do it. Just look at most black neighbourhoods in America and the difference is obvious. Most are run down and poor with no one trying to fix it up. I look at Africa and wonder why, with all the resources there, poverty, disease and famine reign.

10. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Quite right, and Pale Rider's. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.