Study Finds Black Male's Useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big D

According to new research from NU's Center for Labor Market Studies, employment rates and labor market attachment among African-American men have declined dramatically since the Civil Rights era.

Newswise — Against the celebratory backdrop of the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1954 ruling in Brown versus Board of Education, a new labor market study finds that many of the nation’s African-American men face growing joblessness and year-round idleness problems.

The new report, titled “Trends in Black Male Joblessness and Year-Round Idleness: An Employment Crisis Ignored” and prepared for the Alternative Schools Network in Chicago, Ill., Northeastern University’s Center for Labor Market Studies and economist Andrew Sum analyzed both long-term and recent employment developments among the nation’s black males, finding that, since the era of Civil Rights some five decades back, African-American men have suffered a serious decline in labor force attachment and participation.

Employment rates among black male teens and young adults ages 16 to 19 have dropped considerably over the past 50 years, the study found. In 1954, a slight majority -- 52 percent -- of black male teens worked, a rate slightly in excess of their white peers. By 2003, however, only one of five black male teens was employed in a typical month – just 20 percent -- only half the employment rate of white male teens. Among 20 to 24 year old black males, employment rates also have declined considerably from their peak values of 77 to 83 percent in the mid to late 1960s to dramatic 50-year lows more recently. During 2003, for example, just 56 percent of such young black men ages 20 to 24 was employed.

Among older black men, the same dramatic declines were noted over time, according to the report. While the employment rates of black men rise from their late teens through their mid 30s, high levels of joblessness prevail among these men into their late 20s (30 percent of 25 to 29 year old black men were jobless in 2003, for example), then rise sharply as they reach their mid-50s. One of the most disturbing findings was the high share of black males ages 20 to 64 that were jobless year-round. In 2002, one of every four black men in this age group – a full quarter of the entire population within this wide age range -- was idle all year-round, up from 20 percent in the peak labor market year of 2002.

The report’s key findings also include:

* Among the nation’s black teens, fewer than 20 percent, age 16 to 19, were employed during 2003, an employment rate just half that of white teens;

* Among 20 to 24 year old black men, employment rates averaged just 57 percent during the past three years, compared with an average of 80 percent employment in the late 1960s. The E/P (employment to population) ratio of young black men in 2003 lagged well behind the white male employment rate by nearly 20 percentage points;

* In 2002, a full quarter of African-American men ages 20 to 64 were not employed at any point during the year. The year-round joblessness rate for black adult males in 2002 was twice as high as that of white and Hispanic males;

* The year-round idleness rate for black men varies by age, educational attainment, and geographic location. Idleness rates in 2002 ranged from a low of 18 percent for those ages 35 to 44 to a high of nearly 42 percent for those 55 to 64. Forty-four percent of black men with no high school diploma were idle year-round versus 26 percent of high school graduates and only 13 percent of those with a bachelor’s or higher degree.

* In every educational group, black males living in central cities were more likely to be idle year-round than their peers in the suburban segments of metropolitan areas.

“Developing effective public policy responses to this growing problem of black male joblessness and idleness will not be easy,” lead author and economics professor Andrew Sum said. “There is no one or two simple strategies that will markedly alter the employment situation of black males, especially those with no formal schooling beyond high school. But a diverse array of macro- and micro-economic strategies, both short- and long-term, will be needed to substantively boost the employment rates of members of this group, especially among the young.”

Sum and his colleagues recommend a series of initiatives to counter the worsening of this trend among African-American men, including job creation programs, expansion of school-to-career transition programs, social and economic investments in literacy and numeracy programs to develop skills while in schools, and a concerted effort to improve employability and earnings among black men.
http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/506187/

I wonder if that study includes rising numbers of military servicemen and women of colour? Or the rising number of Pro Athletes of colour?

hmm..

-=d=- said:
I wonder if that study includes rising numbers of military servicemen and women of colour? Or the rising number of Pro Athletes of colour?

hmm..
It was done on ALL black males.

What is most interesting is the fact as blacks have attained more freedom threw history, blacks have consistently returned back to there true nature of ignorance and laziness.

“The Negroes' rude ignorance has never invented any effectual weapons of defense or destruction: they appear incapable of forming any extensive plans of government or conquest: and the obvious inferiority of their mental faculties has been discovered and abused by the nations of the temperate zone.”

Big D said:

What is most interesting is the fact as blacks have attained more freedom threw history, blacks have consistently returned back to there true nature of ignorance and laziness.

“The Negroes' rude ignorance has never invented any effectual weapons of defense or destruction: they appear incapable of forming any extensive plans of government or conquest: and the obvious inferiority of their mental faculties has been discovered and abused by the nations of the temperate zone.”

No matter... they're our problem, and we gotta deal with it.

I'm curious... you're good at pointing out the problem, but I don't believe I've ever heard you make a suggestion as to what to do about it. So, what is you're suggested solution to the black man problem?

Big D said:

I have two black male instuctors on my staff. One teaches rotary wing aerodynamics and one teaches instrument flight procedures.

So far, they've been doing a damn good job. But after reading your article, I'm worried.

Any idea when I can expect these guys to revert to their "true nature"?

I don't support the 'reverting back" theory but what I think it is they do well when an existing structure is in place. Take away the structure or destroy it and the problems begin. They cannot build because someone else will do it. Just look at most black neighbourhoods in America and the difference is obvious. Most are run down and poor with no one trying to fix it up. I look at Africa and wonder why, with all the resources there, poverty, disease and famine reign.

MtnBiker said:
Quite right, and Pale Rider's. :cool:

Not very forthcoming with the answers is he MtnBiker?

What good is a person that's willing to constantly BITCH, and never uses any energy solving the problem?

You're coming accrossed as a very shallow person Big D. Show us you're more than that. Answer some damn simple questions, or shut the fuck up.

Boys I have posed this question to Big D so many times i've lost count, never have gotten an answer. I did get however exactly what you guys are getting, a good view of the yellow bellied coward's backside as he ran away.

Pale Rider said:
No matter... they're our problem, and we gotta deal with it.

I'm curious... you're good at pointing out the problem, but I don't believe I've ever heard you make a suggestion as to what to do about it. So, what is you're suggested solution to the black man problem?
I belive pointing out the problem is the best way to start towards a solution. Alot of the problem is white folks being afraid to even acknowledge that there is a problem. Even if some white folks see there is a problem, they are willing to dismiss blacks behaviour because they feel sorry or guilty about blacks conditions. Just look at the responces on here to these issues, most avoid the issue and just personaly attack me. Mtn Biker even deletes most of my posts.

Do you see how all of Americans feel if there is ever a "racist" crime that a white person attacks a black person? I belive that Americans should feel the same way when a black person attacks a white person. Considering that over 90% of interacial crime is blacks attacking whites.

But to cut a long story short what I belive is the best solution is to treat ALL people as equal. I belive no group of people should be judged on skin color, we need to eliminate all laws and special rights that are given to groups based on skin color. Examples: Affirmitive Action, NAACP, black congress, black TV stations, black Miss America, black colleges, black firefighters and police unions ect........

People need to treat blacks as humans and not as a pet that was just raised incorrectly. When whites truely treat blacks as humans and hold them responcable for their own behaviour, we will then be on the way to the solution.

My question to you is:
Why do you belive since the civil rights movement there has been such a dramatic failure of blacks in a civil socity?

Merlin1047 said:
I have two black male instuctors on my staff. One teaches rotary wing aerodynamics and one teaches instrument flight procedures.

So far, they've been doing a damn good job. But after reading your article, I'm worried.

Any idea when I can expect these guys to revert to their "true nature"?
Anytime, Anyone can show you there true nature at anytime.

The point is with blacks, the chances or odds for violent or criminal nature is much higher. The proof of this is the fact that while blacks are only 12% of the U.S population, blacks commit almost 60% od ALL violent crime.
This does not mean that ALL blacks are violent and or criminal, just the odds or chances of criminal violence are greater within the black comunity

Wolfe said:
I don't support the 'reverting back" theory but what I think it is they do well when an existing structure is in place. Take away the structure or destroy it and the problems begin. They cannot build because someone else will do it. Just look at most black neighbourhoods in America and the difference is obvious. Most are run down and poor with no one trying to fix it up. I look at Africa and wonder why, with all the resources there, poverty, disease and famine reign.
http://www.vdare.com/sailer/unthinkable.htm

Big D said:
My question to you is:
Why do you belive since the civil rights movement there has been such a dramatic failure of blacks in a civil socity?

I will agree with your assertion that politically correct fascists within our society are actually a hindrance and not a help in regards to integrating blacks fully into our society. Worse, groups like the NAACP further exacerbate the problem by hurling accusations of racism and demanding "sensitivity". These groups do blacks a huge disservice because the main emphasis of groups like the NAACP is to portray blacks as victims in need of assistance and preferential treatment.

I do not know if you intend it or not, but many of your posts suggest that there is a genetic deficiency in blacks which results in an inability to compete. Which is probably why you get jumped on a good bit.

The civil rights movement gave blacks the right to vote. It did NOT give them the tools to compete successfully in society. It did NOT alter the attitudes of most whites. In order to compete successfully in our society, one needs an education or at least a marketable skill. Once having acquired either an education or a skill, it is now possible to earn a living wage. THAT is the key to becoming fully integrated into society. The problem is that this process does not happen overnight. It takes generations to build and in the meantime there will be setbacks due to discrimination by other racial groups and hostile attitudes by blacks.

It seems to me that blacks are dividing into two distinct groups - those that have achieved financial success through their own efforts and those that continue to rely on the NAACP and the government. It is the latter group in which you will find the people who fit into the demographic which you cite.

Merlin1047 said:
I will agree with your assertion that politically correct fascists within our society are actually a hindrance and not a help in regards to integrating blacks fully into our society. Worse, groups like the NAACP further exacerbate the problem by hurling accusations of racism and demanding "sensitivity". These groups do blacks a huge disservice because the main emphasis of groups like the NAACP is to portray blacks as victims in need of assistance and preferential treatment.

I do not know if you intend it or not, but many of your posts suggest that there is a genetic deficiency in blacks which results in an inability to compete. Which is probably why you get jumped on a good bit.

The civil rights movement gave blacks the right to vote. It did NOT give them the tools to compete successfully in society. It did NOT alter the attitudes of most whites. In order to compete successfully in our society, one needs an education or at least a marketable skill. Once having acquired either an education or a skill, it is now possible to earn a living wage. THAT is the key to becoming fully integrated into society. The problem is that this process does not happen overnight. It takes generations to build and in the meantime there will be setbacks due to discrimination by other racial groups and hostile attitudes by blacks.

It seems to me that blacks are dividing into two distinct groups - those that have achieved financial success through their own efforts and those that continue to rely on the NAACP and the government. It is the latter group in which you will find the people who fit into the demographic which you cite.
The sence I get from you Merlin is that it is the responcabilty of whites to educate blacks, does that not in it's self show inferiority? I know that these things do not happen overnight, but the fact is since the civil rights movement the quality of life for blacks has decreaced dramatically. What group other then whites have made laws against themselfs in hopes of helping another group achive? White racism only goes so far as a reason why blacks are unsuccessful.

The dogma has logical consequences that are profoundly important. If blacks, for example, are equal to Whites in every way, what accounts for their poverty, criminality, and dissipation? Since any theory of racial differences has been outlawed, the only possible explanation for black failure is White racism. And since blacks are markedly poor, crime-prone, and dissipated, America must be racked with pervasive racism. Nothing else could be keeping them in such an abject state.

All public discourse on race today is locked into this rigid logic. Any explanation for black failure that does not depend on White wickedness threatens to veer off into the forbidden territory of racial differences. Thus, even if today's Whites can find in their hearts no desire to oppress blacks, yesterday's Whites must have oppressed them. If Whites do not consciously oppress blacks, they must oppress them Unconsciously. If no obviously racist individuals can be identified, then societal institutions must be racist. Or, since blacks are failing so terribly in America, there simply must be millions of White people we do not know about, who are working day and night to keep blacks in misery. The dogma of racial equality leaves no room for an explanation of black failure that is not, in some fashion, an indictment of White people.

The logical consequences of this are clear. Since we are required to believe that the only explanation for non-White failure is White racism, every time a non-White is poor, commits a crime, goes on welfare, or takes drugs, White society stands accused of yet another act of racism. All failure or misbehavior by non-Whites is standing proof that White society is riddled with hatred and bigotry. For precisely so long as non-Whites fail to succeed in life at exactly the same level as Whites, Whites will be, by definition, thwarting and oppressing them. This obligatory pattern of thinking leads to strange conclusions. First of all, racism is a sin that is thought to be committed almost exclusively by White people. Indeed, a black congressman from Chicago, Gus Savage, and Coleman Young, the black mayor of Detroit, have argued that only White people can be racist. Likewise, in 1987, the affirmative action officer of the State Insurance Fund of New York issued a company pamphlet in which she explained that all Whites are racist and that only Whites can be racist. How else could the plight of blacks be explained without flirting with the possibility of racial inequality?
http://www.planetpapers.com/Assets/3874.php

Big D said:
The sence I get from you Merlin is that it is the responcabilty of whites to educate blacks, does that not in it's self show inferiority? I know that these things do not happen overnight, but the fact is since the civil rights movement the quality of life for blacks has decreaced dramatically.

Why?

Completely untrue. No intellectual person comes to the conclusion that since civil rights blacks are worse off, the most ridiculous thing ever posted on USMB. That is not a fact but rather a propogandistic lie, but more of the same from you is sure to follow.

Big D said:
The sence I get from you Merlin is that it is the responcabilty of whites to educate blacks, does that not in it's self show inferiority? I know that these things do not happen overnight, but the fact is since the civil rights movement the quality of life for blacks has decreaced dramatically.

Why?

I believe that it is the function of our society to provide the OPPORTUNITY for people to acquire the tools necessary for success. I believe that, to a large extent, we have done just that and that members of minority groups have fewer excuses for failure today than before.

I'm not sure why you're so hell-bent on characterizing blacks as inferior when the evidence is all around you that there are many blacks who are a hell of a lot smarter and more successful than you and me put together.

Part of my motivation in assuring that minorities become successful is self-serving. The fewer people on welfare, the less likely the damn Democrats will raise my taxes. But on a national level, we need to consider the fact that the world is becoming more competitive every day. We need every asset we can muster to stay ahead of the pack and we can no longer disdain the talents and abilities of those members of our society whose skin tone is not to someone's personal liking.

As far as your assertion that the quality of life for blacks has deteriorated since the civil rights movement, I believe that to be fallacious. None of the evidence that I have read from credible sources (skinhead websites not included) or personally observed supports that conclusion.

Big D said:
I belive pointing out the problem is the best way to start towards a solution. Alot of the problem is white folks being afraid to even acknowledge that there is a problem. Even if some white folks see there is a problem, they are willing to dismiss blacks behaviour because they feel sorry or guilty about blacks conditions. Just look at the responces on here to these issues, most avoid the issue and just personaly attack me. Mtn Biker even deletes most of my posts.

Do you see how all of Americans feel if there is ever a "racist" crime that a white person attacks a black person? I belive that Americans should feel the same way when a black person attacks a white person. Considering that over 90% of interacial crime is blacks attacking whites.

But to cut a long story short what I belive is the best solution is to treat ALL people as equal. I belive no group of people should be judged on skin color, we need to eliminate all laws and special rights that are given to groups based on skin color. Examples: Affirmitive Action, NAACP, black congress, black TV stations, black Miss America, black colleges, black firefighters and police unions ect........

People need to treat blacks as humans and not as a pet that was just raised incorrectly. When whites truely treat blacks as humans and hold them responcable for their own behaviour, we will then be on the way to the solution.

My question to you is:

You are not concerned about raising standards for Blacks or Hispanics quit bullshitting everybody. You simply want to practice your discrimination based solely on skin color without fear of consequences. All this other stuff is simply racism wrapped in bullshit. I'm white and if you Big D come around me your chances of being attacked and jacked up will increase 100 fold from just me simply not liking you. I'm sure there are others who know you who feel exactly the same way as me towards you.

When will this charade end here? "sigh"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back