(sigh) The ruin of one the greatest shows of all time :( Bye Bart!

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
Why? just why? (sigh)..

Simpsons' to Feature Gay Wedding
Tuesday, July 27, 2004
By Don Kaplan - NYPost.com

Someone on "The Simpsons" (search) is coming out of the closet and could get married.

"Simpson" producers, including creator Matt Groening (search), let the news slip out at the San Diego Comic Convention over the weekend. But they did not say who it would be.

The way-too obvious choice would be Waylon Smithers (search), evil nuclear-power tycoon Montgomery Burns' timid toady — who for years has harbored a not-so-secret love for his fragile, scheming century- old boss.

Smithers sexuality has long been a line of discussion among Simpson aficionados. And he's professed his love for Burns several times just before disaster seems about to strike.

In one episode, as the town's nuclear power plant faces a meltdown, Burns concludes, "I guess there's nothing left but to kiss my sorry ass good- bye."

Smithers asks brightly, "May I, sir?"

But another school of thought considers one of Marge Simpson's chain-smoking sisters — Selma and Patty — to be the future Mrs. of a Mrs.

Selma has walked down the aisle several times, including marriages to homicidal kids' show character Sideshow Bob (search) and fictional movie star Troy McClure (best remembered for the faux educational filmstrip: "2+2 = Negative Fun").

Patty once dated Springfield Elementary's Principal Skinner and both sisters flew into a murderous rampage at the thought of MacGyver (the gadget guy from the 1980s TV show) being gay.

Both often also say that men are pigs, and Selma once maced another character when he mistook her for Mary Tyler Moore.

In the wedding episode, Homer becomes an ordained minister over the Internet and begins performing gay marriages.

like we should really worry about daily reality in comparison to the simpsons? Please. Thats like saying we should take political strategy lessons from the makers of south park.

DKSuddeth said:
like we should really worry about daily reality in comparison to the simpsons? Please. Thats like saying we should take political strategy lessons from the makers of south park.

Just because there are worse things going on out there doesn't mean we're not allowed to be sad that one of the greatest TV shows of all time is on the decline.

I don't think it should really be a surprise. They covered gay topics before on the show. Like when Homer thought Bart was gay because Bart liked the gay novelty/antique store owner. And of course the whole Smithers and Burns stuff.

I dunno. the episode could be funny. like the one when homer moved in with the gay guys cause he was fighting with marge. its the simpsons they do controversial things all the time. i say actually see what they do before you judge it.

Forum List

Back