Student Suspended for Removing Mexican Flag

It is my understanding that this particular event happened as a result of the Spanish club making a request of the administration to decorate for cinco-de-mayo. Having gotten that permision they hung a "mexican flag" over a rail in school along with other decorations. The boy in question then removed the flag and threw it in the garbage as a result of his belief that no nations flag should be flown above the American flag regardless of the intentions. While as I stated earlier I tend to agree with his purpose on moral grounds, the school was right to suspend him for the way in which he took it upon himself to take the mexican flag down and simply throw it away. I have no issues with flying the flag of other nations when used as decorations or in events such as celebrations and world history. However, those flags regardless of the menaing and intent should never be flown above, along side, or featured or given honor too as national flags in an American School.

However, if you look at the photo of where the flag was....that simply was not the case.

This one can go both way's IMHO bodecea, I've looked at the pictures several times and one can make the argument that the flag is very featured when walking down the hall. However, that said on the flip side of that one can say that as part of the overall layout of the entire school the hallway could be a minor part of the school as well and can then argue that the flag is just a display for some history celebration. I think it would have been helpful though had the flag been placed in a setting that was more in line with cinco-de-mayo and not drapped over the rail alone and featured by itself and left to opinion on the subject.

Ya think??? ;) :) :lol:

Link please. I have read three articles and watched a video, but not the source you are referencing.

Then sophomore Nick Morris went on a local conservative talk radio show to complain he had been suspended.
Klein ISD on the defensive after Mexican flag flap | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

It would have stayed local except the national liberal media picked it up.

Because his parents wanted the attention and, like Sarah and Todd Palin, exposed their kids to it.
The parents were on national TV with the kid.

He shoulda burned the damn thing. I would've. What has that country done good for the world other than TexMex food and give us their oil?

:lol:.....yea tell them that...

Actually, many of them remind ME of that.

what that they are WHITE?.....what part of California do you live in?...where i am at they make sure there is a distinction...."your white,not me im brown".....and they are not talking UPS.....

Actually, in about 30 states the statewide uniform crime information statistical data does not include a Hispanic designation. It's only white/black/asian/other. Thats what cops must mark down when entering the race of a suspect/victim. So, in those states, when a Hispanic is involved, they are labled "white" on the police report, which goes to that states crime stat database, and eventually to the FBI for collection of UCR (uniformed crime report) statistics.

So, when wonderful, tolerant groups like La Raza (The Race) claim the amount of crime committed by Hispanics is reported falsly, well, they are accidentally right. It is actually UNDERreported, as in those states a crime committed by a Hispanic will go into the national and state database as being committed by "white" persons.

Just food for thought.

The Mexican flag should not be displayed in an American school to begin with.

If it were displayed along the wall with numerous other small flags of different countries in a World History classroom, I would have no problem with it. The kids could learn to recognize flags of various countries and learn something about those countries and their people.

Mostly what children are learning in school today is rubbish, many of them by unqualified teachers. Then you have those teachers who have worked their asses off from lower school through college and afterward and have a passion for teaching. Blessed is the child who has one of those teachers.

Way to encourage kids to study and do well in school.

Why bother to study rubbish? Oh yeah, I forgot, many Libs truly believe in the trash kids are being taught. See the Marxist teachings in AZ for evidence.

Bring an aspirin to school here and you get 1 week suspension.
And it does not get national attention.

Yeah, what's up with that? It was a rule in my school that we could not self-administer ANYTHING. Be that acetaminophen, Midol, whatever, it was a suspendible offense. What, now a girl doesn't know if her cramps are bad enough to deserve medication? Thanks Libs, we suffer in solidarity with your ideals.

Yeah, what's up with that? It was a rule in my school that we could not self-administer ANYTHING. Be that acetaminophen, Midol, whatever, it was a suspendible offense. What, now a girl doesn't know if her cramps are bad enough to deserve medication? Thanks Libs, we suffer in solidarity with your ideals.
Hey asshole...this is not a liberal ideal. Negged.

Hey asshole...this is not a liberal ideal. Negged.

Schools let students seek secret abortions
Parents not notified when 12-year-olds obtain 'confidential' medical procedures

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: November 18, 2009
11:20 pm Eastern

By Chelsea Schilling
© 2010 WorldNetDaily

SACRAMENTO – A 12-year-old girl is prohibited from bringing aspirin to California public schools without a note from her mother or father – but in many California districts she may sign herself out of classes, leave her junior-high campus without parental permission, secretly have an abortion and return to school before the end of the day – and her own family may be none the wiser.

Parents and educators across the state have been in heated debate over school policies allowing children to be excused during class time without parental notification for "confidential medical services" such as abortions, birth control, and drug and mental health services.

They can't educate our kids, but they'll help them get abortions! Education elites have given us the 'dumbest generation' - It's all in "War on Children: How Pop Culture and Public Schools Put Our Kids at Risk"

California's San Juan Unified School District sought to change its own policy from one that prohibits students from being absent without parental knowledge except during medical emergencies to guidelines that would allow a student to leave for a "confidential medical appointment."

San Juan Unified School District proposed policy change

Brad Dacus, founder and president of Pacific Justice Institute, a legal nonprofit, addressed the board at a school-district meeting in Carmichael on Nov. 17 to discuss the policy, along with hundreds of concerned parents who flooded into the meeting and filled the district building lobby.

After much debate and input from the public, the San Juan Unified School District voted 3 to 2 against the policy change. Parents clapped and cheered when they heard the decision.

"We are pleased that the San Juan school board listened to the community and abandoned this disastrous proposal," Dacus said in a statement. "This is a victory for everyone who believes in parental responsibility and local control of school decisions."

They were debating changing the current policy to reflect school administrators' interpretation of California Education Code 4601.1, which states:

Commencing in the fall of the 1986-87 academic year, the governing board of each school district shall, each academic year, notify pupils in grades 7 to 12, inclusive, and the parents or guardians of all pupils enrolled in the districts, that school authorities may excuse any pupil from the school for the purpose of obtaining confidential medical services without the consent of the pupil's parent or guardian.

Pacific Justice Institute staff attorney Matt McReynolds told WND the statute is ambiguous and only says the districts may dismiss students, not that they are required to do so.

"If you use general principles of statutory construction, as we lawyers do in interpreting these things, 'may' is very different than 'must,'" he said. "It doesn't say they must dismiss them, which is how the ACLU, Planned Parenthood and the National Youth Law Center interpret it. It is a district-by-district decision on whether they will tell parents."

McReynolds said a district is not required to become an "accomplice" when children opt for these services without their parents' knowledge.

"It doesn't mean students have to be dismissed during the school day to go do it," he said. "They've got afternoons and weekends if they're bent on doing that. You don't have to make the school a party to it."

McReynolds questioned how children as young as 12, 13 or 14 would be transported to clinics for "confidential medical services" if they are unable to drive and choose not to inform their parents.

"They can't drive themselves anywhere, so some adult or somebody with a driver's license would have to get them to those so-called 'confidential' medical appointments that aren't so 'confidential' after all when you really think about it," he said. "You're talking about an older boyfriend, a boyfriend's parents, maybe even a school official? Somebody has to get them there when they're that young."

McReynolds argues that hiding medical issues from parents may endanger the health and wellbeing of a child.

"A parent who is 100 percent legally and morally responsible for taking care of their minor child may have no real ability to do so if they don't know that their child just had a major medical procedure," he said. "Or in the case of counseling, they may have no idea their child is dealing with substance abuse or suicidal thoughts or any number of other things."

Asked whether a parent might successfully sue if any school district that releases a child for a "confidential medical appointment" and a child's life is endangered, McReynolds replied, "I think they would. We have raised that possibility."

(Story continues below)

But Rebecca Gudeman, senior attorney at the National Center for Youth Law, told the Sacramento Bee, "The great majority of children will involve their parents in such issues – reproductive health and mental health. It's the 25 percent we care about, in abusive households or in families that don't believe in mental health care."

Planned Parenthood spokeswoman Raquel Simental said she did not agree with the district's decision.

"It's the law that they have access to these services," she told KCRA-TV.

The Pacific Justice Institute has also had success battling similar policies that allowed students to sign out without parental knowledge in other districts, including Modesto, Fairfield-Suisun and San Diego. According to KCRA-TV, Sacramento, Natomas, Twin Rivers and Elk Grove school districts still have policies allowing children to leave campus for "confidential medical services" without parental consent. McReynolds said several California school districts still have similar policies.

He said no lawsuit had been filed with the San Juan Unified School District. The move toward a policy change was recently initiated by school administrators.

"Planned Parenthood and the ACLU tend to always threaten these school districts with lawsuits if they vote differently than those groups want them to vote," he said. "They claim it would be illegal, but they've never actually filed a lawsuit when the school district adopts a parent-friendly policy."

Should a school face a lawsuit for maintaining a policy that requires parental notification, McReynolds said Pacific Justice Institute has offered to "defend any school district that gets embroiled in an actual lawsuit."

WND reported in 2004 when California Attorney General Bill Lockyer issued an opinion that said schools are required to enact confidentiality policies. But amid a grass-roots campaign organized by a traditional-family lobby group, Lockyer backed off his opinion.

McReynolds said many parents aren't aware of guidelines at their childrens' schools. But he said all parents should ask their own school administrators whether their children may be excused without consent, even families who live outside California.

"It's really important for every parent, whether their kids are in public or private school, to find out what the school policies are," he said. "You never know. See what kind of answers you get."

Schools let students seek secret abortions

The American student had every right indeed DUTY to put the Mex rag in the trash, just like any other piece of garbage foung lying around.

Forum List

Back