Student Suspended for Removing Mexican Flag

Well, you can go with a slow news day or the liberal media setting the stage for the immigration debate.
Right, that's why he ranted on a conservative radio show. :thup:

Link please. I have read three articles and watched a video, but not the source you are referencing.

Then sophomore Nick Morris went on a local conservative talk radio show to complain he had been suspended.
Klein ISD on the defensive after Mexican flag flap | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Right, that's why he ranted on a conservative radio show. :thup:

Link please. I have read three articles and watched a video, but not the source you are referencing.

Then sophomore Nick Morris went on a local conservative talk radio show to complain he had been suspended.
Klein ISD on the defensive after Mexican flag flap | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

It would have stayed local except the national liberal media picked it up.

Damn, I forgot...everything is the liberal media's fault. :lol:

First, I'm going to give you credit for humor.

I would like to point out I didn't say everything was their fault. I do think they bear responsibility for inflaming the story initially. Certainly others piled on later. That fair and balanced for ya?

I would like to point out I didn't say everything was their fault. I do think they bear responsibility for inflaming the story initially. Certainly others piled on later. That fair and balanced for ya?
I can't find anything about it on a national news outlet...only local. So your point is invalid, whatever it is...the kid fucked up and ran to the media to whine. Any fault for this story becoming known is his and the radio station that broadcast him and the doofuses that posted it all over the internet.

§ 7. Position and manner of display
How Current is This? The flag, when carried in a procession with another flag or flags, should be either on the marching right; that is, the flag’s own right, or, if there is a line of other flags, in front of the center of that line.
(a) The flag should not be displayed on a float in a parade except from a staff, or as provided in subsection (i) of this section.
(b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.
(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations
United States Code: Title 4,7. Position and manner of display | LII / Legal Information Institute

Two thoughts here, one is the school itself should understand the simple concept that they are a public school in the United States and should be teaching and acting in a manner that reflects this nations heritage above all others. The other is while well meaning and right on moral grounds to remove any nations flag that is displayed equal to the U.S. flag or above it, the right thing to do after that would to have simply left the flag in the schools office so that they may know that any endorsement of this policy is wrong as well. To have simply thrown away the "mexican flag" gives the school the authority to suspend him, even though I agree with his purpose.

How Current is This? The flag, when carried in a procession with another flag or flags, should be either on the marching right; that is, the flag’s own right, or, if there is a line of other flags, in front of the center of that line.
(a) The flag should not be displayed on a float in a parade except from a staff, or as provided in subsection (i) of this section.
(b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.
(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations
United States Code: Title 4,7. Position and manner of display | LII / Legal Information Institute

Two thoughts here, one is the school itself should understand the simple concept that they are a public school in the United States and should be teaching and acting in a manner that reflects this nations heritage above all others. The other is while well meaning and right on moral grounds to remove any nations flag that is displayed equal to the U.S. flag or above it, the right thing to do after that would to have simply left the flag in the schools office so that they may know that any endorsement of this policy is wrong as well. To have simply thrown away the "mexican flag" gives the school the authority to suspend him, even though I agree with his purpose.

Have you looked at the photos linked? There is NO American flag anywhere near the Mexican flag. Period. How can one say that the Mexican flag is above the American flag when there is no American flag nearby for it to be "above"?

I can't find anything about it on a national news outlet...only local. So your point is invalid, whatever it is...the kid fucked up and ran to the media to whine. Any fault for this story becoming known is his and the radio station that broadcast him and the doofuses that posted it all over the internet.

Student Suspended Over Mexican Flag - Click2Houston.com- msnbc.com

Sorry to hear MSNBC is a local only news outlet. Where do I send condolences?

Have you looked at the photos linked? There is NO American flag anywhere near the Mexican flag. Period. How can one say that the Mexican flag is above the American flag when there is no American flag nearby for it to be "above"?

It is my understanding that this particular event happened as a result of the Spanish club making a request of the administration to decorate for cinco-de-mayo. Having gotten that permision they hung a "mexican flag" over a rail in school along with other decorations. The boy in question then removed the flag and threw it in the garbage as a result of his belief that no nations flag should be flown above the American flag regardless of the intentions. While as I stated earlier I tend to agree with his purpose on moral grounds, the school was right to suspend him for the way in which he took it upon himself to take the mexican flag down and simply throw it away. I have no issues with flying the flag of other nations when used as decorations or in events such as celebrations and world history. However, those flags regardless of the menaing and intent should never be flown above, along side, or featured or given honor too as national flags in an American School.

It is my understanding that this particular event happened as a result of the Spanish club making a request of the administration to decorate for cinco-de-mayo. Having gotten that permision they hung a "mexican flag" over a rail in school along with other decorations. The boy in question then removed the flag and threw it in the garbage as a result of his belief that no nations flag should be flown above the American flag regardless of the intentions. While as I stated earlier I tend to agree with his purpose on moral grounds, the school was right to suspend him for the way in which he took it upon himself to take the mexican flag down and simply throw it away. I have no issues with flying the flag of other nations when used as decorations or in events such as celebrations and world history. However, those flags regardless of the menaing and intent should never be flown above, along side, or featured or given honor too as national flags in an American School.

However, if you look at the photo of where the flag was....that simply was not the case.

However, if you look at the photo of where the flag was....that simply was not the case.

This one can go both way's IMHO bodecea, I've looked at the pictures several times and one can make the argument that the flag is very featured when walking down the hall. However, that said on the flip side of that one can say that as part of the overall layout of the entire school the hallway could be a minor part of the school as well and can then argue that the flag is just a display for some history celebration. I think it would have been helpful though had the flag been placed in a setting that was more in line with cinco-de-mayo and not drapped over the rail alone and featured by itself and left to opinion on the subject.

:lol: Okay, one. Regardless, it isn't the medias fault this made it into the news.

:lol: Okay, one. Regardless, it isn't the medias fault this made it into the news.

Yep, I did have to work pretty hard to dind it. :lol:

Seriously, not the media's fault it made it into the news? Who makes decisions on news stories where you live? Mexican jumping beans?

Link please.

Link to...what? I quoted what she said and....it is also quoted in Ravi's reply to Willow. Not sure why you require yet another link to it....:eusa_eh:

If I understand you correctly what you are saying is "one false accusation of racism deserves another?" Ok. Got it.

You understand incorrectly. What I am saying is exactly what I said. I'm curious as to why you only call one of the parties on implications of racism but not the other - the one who's initial post she responded to.

Odd that.

You know the funny part? She asks for a link...but the post of mine she saw and had issue with HAD Willow's comment quoted. How could she have seen one without the other...? It IS a puzzlement. :eusa_whistle:

It's that pesky reading comprehension thingie....seems to be a problem.....wonder if Lonestar's caught on or if he'll just resort to flinging more monkey poop :tongue:

I don't think it's the mainstream national media, it's the talk shows and bloggers on the internet trying to make it a big deal.

MSNBC,, they supplied the photo? you gotta be kidding, the very ones who showed us a picutre of "white tea bag gun toting terrorists" turned out to be a black man..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think you are the one missing the point Amigo!!!!

Badges.... We don't need no stinking badges!!!! :lol: :lol: ;)

This one can go both way's IMHO bodecea, I've looked at the pictures several times and one can make the argument that the flag is very featured when walking down the hall. However, that said on the flip side of that one can say that as part of the overall layout of the entire school the hallway could be a minor part of the school as well and can then argue that the flag is just a display for some history celebration. I think it would have been helpful though had the flag been placed in a setting that was more in line with cinco-de-mayo and not drapped over the rail alone and featured by itself and left to opinion on the subject.

If you read the flag code, it states that indoors, the flags must be part of the SAME GROUPING for the "higher than" policy to apply.

But as to your objection...show it to us in the flag code...that thing the boy said he was acting on.

Forum List

Back