Stop telling Teachers to Confiscate Kids' Cell Phones/Electronics. It is a dangerous and ineffective practice

Cell phone jammer...$82....

Bad idea not only could there be some legal consequences but I would hate to think in an emergency help was delayed because someone forgot to turn that off
I thought about that. Plus it has a limited battery life.

Figured just use it when the teacher sees a cellphone out.

Bob Blaylock ...I'm sure we could get a classroom exemption for teachers.

Unkotare taking the phone is going to cause a disruption anyway.

But ... I suspect that technology is going to put an end to this behavior and texting while driving.

Eventually cellphones will have a school activated "driving" style mode that will allow limited phone use while deactivating certain features.

@Bob Blaylock ...I'm sure we could get a classroom exemption for teachers.

From the document that I cited earlier

The use of a phone jammer, GPS blocker, or other signal jamming device designed to intentionally block, jam, or interfere with authorized radio communications is a violation of federal law. There are no exemptions for use within a business, classroom, residence, or vehicle.

Here's a press release from the FCC about an employer being fined $22,000 for illegally using a jammer to prevent its employees from using their cell phones at work.

It is illegal to sell these jammers in the united states, and it is illegal to use them.

Obviously, a student will learn more if they are not on their phone. Phones will hinder a child's education much more so than being out of dress code for example. But it has led to violence, and someday may lead to a shooting.

I would get mad if someone took my cell phone from me and I'm a 61 year old man who never had a cell phone until I was nearly fifty. Imagine the reaction of a 14 year old who has been addicted emotionally to having their phone since age 9.

In my school, the principal has strongly emphasized that student keep cell phones turned off and in their backpacks after the first bell rings, even if they are still eating breakfast. Teachers are to take away any phone they spot in student's hand, pocket or anywhere besides backpack (we don't use lockers). At our meetings prior to the school year started, when this came up, some teachers said, "it needs to be all of us doing it," because they don't want to be perceived as the mean ones.

Confiscated cell phones are held in the office for parents to pick up, which for some kids is no problem, but for some kids it can be a huge problem. So the consequences are not equal for all students.

A much better strategy is to tell the child to put the phone in their backpack, which brings them into compliance. It is rare for a student to not comply with that request. But telling the student to hand over the phone meets resistance the majority of the time.

If a student refuses to put the phone in the backpack, write a discipline slip and send him or her to the office. If the student refuses to go, send the slip with another student and a note that the student refused to leave. Then the admins can decide what to do from there, including getting assistance from the school resource officer.

Sounds reasonable.

But don't know if clan 13 would go for it. They can't be reasoned with.

shop lif 6.gif

Obviously, a student will learn more if they are not on their phone. Phones will hinder a child's education much more so than being out of dress code for example. But it has led to violence, and someday may lead to a shooting.

I would get mad if someone took my cell phone from me and I'm a 61 year old man who never had a cell phone until I was nearly fifty. Imagine the reaction of a 14 year old who has been addicted emotionally to having their phone since age 9.

In my school, the principal has strongly emphasized that student keep cell phones turned off and in their backpacks after the first bell rings, even if they are still eating breakfast. Teachers are to take away any phone they spot in student's hand, pocket or anywhere besides backpack (we don't use lockers). At our meetings prior to the school year started, when this came up, some teachers said, "it needs to be all of us doing it," because they don't want to be perceived as the mean ones.

Confiscated cell phones are held in the office for parents to pick up, which for some kids is no problem, but for some kids it can be a huge problem. So the consequences are not equal for all students.

A much better strategy is to tell the child to put the phone in their backpack, which brings them into compliance. It is rare for a student to not comply with that request. But telling the student to hand over the phone meets resistance the majority of the time.

If a student refuses to put the phone in the backpack, write a discipline slip and send him or her to the office. If the student refuses to go, send the slip with another student and a note that the student refused to leave. Then the admins can decide what to do from there, including getting assistance from the school resource officer.

I started out being in strong disagreement with this, since I think no teacher anywhere, and no subject matter, can compete with the immediacy of a phone. BUT, you make a good point in requesting that:

1. Phones go in backpacks and are not confiscated
2. Denial of requests is a discipline infraction (which gives student choice: you can put the phone away or explain in the office)
3. School resource officer gets involved

Schools have the right to request distractions be put away, but unless they are a safety issue, not to confiscate students' personal belongings. Good middle ground.

It is justifiable to ask someone who is behaving disruptively to leave, or even to have that person removed, forcibly, if necessary.

It is absolutely •NOT• justifiable to forcibly rob that person of his rightful property.

A person might not have a right to be present, somewhere where he is behaving disruptively, but he absolutely has a right to his property.

Dude this would be in the Code of Conduct. Usually, both the student and the parent signed off on it.

So go cry about it: you're wrong.

It is justifiable to ask someone who is behaving disruptively to leave, or even to have that person removed, forcibly, if necessary.

It is absolutely •NOT• justifiable to forcibly rob that person of his rightful property.

A person might not have a right to be present, somewhere where he is behaving disruptively, but he absolutely has a right to his property.

If you bring a gun through security at an airport, the TSA will TAKE IT. Not just temporarily, they take it. And you are probably on the no-fly list.

Don't like that? You have the option not to fly.

Don't like the idea of your phone being confiscated? It's called homeschooling.

This is not difficult. Choose the "adventure", choose the terms.

Google and Apple done got these chilluns completely dependent on them phones. There was nothing like that back in my day.

Not even weed or hard drugs, even. This is an entirely new phenomenon.

I'm not sure what to think or how to deal with this. :dunno:

iu

It seems to me that everyone else who has said anything in this thread is failing to consider the true issues involved.

Consider the fact that most of these schoolchildren are expected, eventually, to grow up to be adults, and to try to function as productive members of society, in many instances by holding and working at jobs.

They need to learn to balance their use of cell phones, and the demands that cell phones tend to make on one's attention, with the needs of their jobs and other aspects of living in The Real World. From what I have seen, to many adults have not learned to manage this balance, and nothing has been suggested in this thread that will help anyone to learn it. Only the brutal misuse of force by tyrants, to rob people of their rightful property has been suggested a a solution, but in the end, this is no solution at all.

And I have seen the fruits of what this will unavoidably produce. I've had coworkers who allowed their cell phones to deeply cut into their productivity at the job; coworkers who have been conditions to see their supervisors as tyrants, merely for demanding that these workers do their jobs rather than giving all their attention to their cell phones. I've seen twelve-thousand-pound forklifts zooming down warehouse aisles, carrying up to their six-thousand-pound capacity of cargo (eighteen-thousand pounds total GVWR), being driven by idiots who are paying too much attention to their cell phones, and not nearly enough attention to where they are driving.

I've seen nothing in this thread that suggests any genuine solution to the genuine problem.

The cell phone genie is out of the bottle, and is not going to be forced back into it. People are going to have cell phones, whether they are students in school, or workers on a job.

We need to be teaching people, from an early age, how to maintain a proper balance between cell phone use, and allowing their attention to be sufficiently on other thins where it is required. A modern cell phone is an incredible tool, that can be used for great purposes that can increase one's capability and productivity; but it is a two-edged sword, that can also have devastating impacts on capability and productivity as a result of its capacity to distract its user's attention from where that attention needs to be.

One major capability of a modern cell phones is the ability to quickly obtain information that might otherwise not be immediately available. Surely, anyone can see how this ability, properly applied, could be a great asset in an educational environment.

It will take someone with different knowledge than what I have to figure out the details, but I think it is clear that there needs to be a different approach in education, than what anyone else has suggested, to dealing with students' use of cell phones, and teaching students to make good use of this resource, and to avoid allowing it to distract their attention away from where it needs to be at any given time.

But it probably won't happen. It's much easier for teachers to become tyrants, bullies, and robbers, than it is for them to address this matter correctly.

It seems to me that everyone else who has said anything in this thread is failing to consider the true issues involved.

Consider the fact that most of these schoolchildren are expected, eventually, to grow up to be adults, and to try to function as productive members of society, in many instances by holding and working at jobs.

They need to learn to balance their use of cell phones, and the demands that cell phones tend to make on one's attention, with the needs of their jobs and other aspects of living in The Real World. From what I have seen, to many adults have not learned to manage this balance, and nothing has been suggested in this thread that will help anyone to learn it. Only the brutal misuse of force by tyrants, to rob people of their rightful property has been suggested a a solution, but in the end, this is no solution at all.

And I have seen the fruits of what this will unavoidably produce. I've had coworkers who allowed their cell phones to deeply cut into their productivity at the job; coworkers who have been conditions to see their supervisors as tyrants, merely for demanding that these workers do their jobs rather than giving all their attention to their cell phones. I've seen twelve-thousand-pound forklifts zooming down warehouse aisles, carrying up to their six-thousand-pound capacity of cargo (eighteen-thousand pounds total GVWR), being driven by idiots who are paying too much attention to their cell phones, and not nearly enough attention to where they are driving.

I've seen nothing in this thread that suggests any genuine solution to the genuine problem.

The cell phone genie is out of the bottle, and is not going to be forced back into it. People are going to have cell phones, whether they are students in school, or workers on a job.

We need to be teaching people, from an early age, how to maintain a proper balance between cell phone use, and allowing their attention to be sufficiently on other thins where it is required. A modern cell phone is an incredible tool, that can be used for great purposes that can increase one's capability and productivity; but it is a two-edged sword, that can also have devastating impacts on capability and productivity as a result of its capacity to distract its user's attention from where that attention needs to be.

One major capability of a modern cell phones is the ability to quickly obtain information that might otherwise not be immediately available. Surely, anyone can see how this ability, properly applied, could be a great asset in an educational environment.

It will take someone with different knowledge than what I have to figure out the details, but I think it is clear that there needs to be a different approach in education, than what anyone else has suggested, to dealing with students' use of cell phones, and teaching students to make good use of this resource, and to avoid allowing it to distract their attention away from where it needs to be at any given time.

But it probably won't happen. It's much easier for teachers to become tyrants, bullies, and robbers, than it is for them to address this matter correctly.

A giant iceberg of stupid bullshit just drifted into the shipping lanes. ^^^^^ Could not be more ignorant and counter-productive.

A giant iceberg of stupid bullshit just drifted into the shipping lanes. ^^^^^ Could not be more ignorant and counter-productive.

Something tells me that you have much more in common with the forklift driver mentioned in my last post, paying more attention to his cell phone than to where he's driving eighteen thousand pounds of machinery and cargo, than you have with any intelligent human being.

... People are going to have cell phones, whether they are students in school, or workers on a job.

We need to be teaching people, from an early age, how to maintain a proper balance between cell phone use, and allowing their attention to be sufficiently on other thins where it is required. .....

5 year olds should hunt, skin, gut, and cook dinner for their families.
10 year olds should drive themselves to school.
12 year olds should have beer with dinner.
14 year olds should do electrical work around the house.

JUST HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU?

JUST HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU?

Not nearly fucking stupid enough to give any credence at all to your army of absurd and irrelevant strawmen.

StrawmanArmy.jpg

Says only someone with no clue what education is and what goes on in schools.

You still don't know what "straw man" means, huh?

It's when a dishonest idiot cannot address the legitimate arguments made by an opponent so instead, he lies and makes up bullshit fake arguments, and falsely attributes those to his opponent.

For example:

Once you've crossed that line, you might as well just admit that you've completely lost the argument.

Not every bit of fact or knowledge is on the damn internet. Students need to know how to do real research. More importantly, being able to find a Wiki-stupid-fucking-pedia page requires just about 0 logic or critical thinking skills.

Forum List

Back