Stop telling Teachers to Confiscate Kids' Cell Phones/Electronics. It is a dangerous and ineffective practice

Adults in this thread cant figure out what to do so I propose no phones on School grounds. Problem solved.

let the little Genius leave them at home and learn to lock things up,

Not to assume, so I'll ask.
Are you saying a student should not be robbed of their phone (one's rightful property) for ANY reason?

Robbery is robbery.

I am fully in favor of violent criminals being dealt with harshly. This include corrupt teachers who try to commit violent robbery against their students.

I get that you won't understand this, because you're a LIbtARd, and therefore on the side of subhuman criminal shit, and against the side of actual human beings.

Confiscation is not robbery.

By definition, yes, it absolutely is. Playing stupid, dishonest semantic games changes nothing about the underlying truth; which is that to forcefully deprive a person of his rightful property is robbery, and ought to be dealt with as a serious criminal act. Calling it by another name doe snot change what it is.

By definition, yes, it absolutely is. Playing stupid, dishonest semantic games changes nothing about the underlying truth; which is that to forcefully deprive a person of his rightful property is robbery, and ought to be dealt with as a serious criminal act. Calling it by another name doe snot change what it is.
By definition, it absolutely is not. Confiscation is the seizing of property with authority. Read a dictionary.

Robbery is robbery.

I am fully in favor of violent criminals being dealt with harshly. This include corrupt teachers who try to commit violent robbery against their students.

I get that you won't understand this, because you're a LIbtARd, and therefore on the side of subhuman criminal shit, and against the side of actual human beings.
They aren't stealing the phones. The kids get em back after class. Kinda like walking into the courthouse while armed. You get it back when you leave so there's no disruption.

Robbery is robbery.

It's sad that you think this form of discipline is robbery.

If a parishioner is using their phone during a sermon and distracting other parishioners with the loud game sounds, what would your thought be on asking the abuser, politely, to put their phone away?

Will you answer......I predict NO, you will deflect. Go>>>>>>

Phones in schools are confiscated, not stolen. They're taken with authority and then returned.
Not robbery.

Again, calling a crime by a different name does not change what it is. Nor do the bullshit excuses being used here to try to justify it.

Robbers belong in prison, not in positions of authority, influence, or example to children.

If I had children, I sure as Hell would not want them to be given such an example to tell that that it is ever acceptable to forcefully rob someone else of their rightful property.

Look at the society that we have created, wherein large portions of the population think that it is just fine to steal. Look at the “flash mob” shoplifting gangs that are becoming common.

This is the endgame of what you are defending, a society in which too many consider stealing to be acceptable behavior. You're arguing that teachers should teach this, by example, to the children under their tutelage.

It's sad that you think this form of discipline is robbery.
If a parishioner is using their phone during a sermon and distracting other parishioners with the loud game sounds, what would your thought be on asking the abuser, politely, to put their phone away?

It is justifiable to ask someone who is behaving disruptively to leave, or even to have that person removed, forcibly, if necessary.

It is absolutely •NOT• justifiable to forcibly rob that person of his rightful property.

A person might not have a right to be present, somewhere where he is behaving disruptively, but he absolutely has a right to his property.

It is justifiable to ask someone who is behaving disruptively to leave, or even to have that person removed, forcibly, if necessary.

It is absolutely •NOT• justifiable to forcibly rob that person of his rightful property.

A person might not have a right to be present, somewhere where he is behaving disruptively, but he absolutely has a right to his property.
Ok, you are entitled to YOUR opinion.

Options in School. Private or Public

1) Take the phone, temporarily, let student remain in class and learn, return phone.
2) Don't take phone, but send them to the Office and miss instruction.
3) Keep student in class, keeping phone, and continually disrupting others.
4) Other. This ought to be good.

To not be forcibly robbed of one's rightful property ought not be seen as a “special rule”.
Interesting concept, however if phones are not allowed in class and a kid has one is it still their rightful property, not to be taken away? If it’s against school policy to have a phone then it is no longer considered rightful property and then becomes contraband IMO.

Again, calling a crime by a different name does not change what it is. Nor do the bullshit excuses being used here to try to justify it.

Robbers belong in prison, not in positions of authority, influence, or example to children.

If I had children, I sure as Hell would not want them to be given such an example to tell that that it is ever acceptable to forcefully rob someone else of their rightful property.

Look at the society that we have created, wherein large portions of the population think that it is just fine to steal. Look at the “flash mob” shoplifting gangs that are becoming common.

This is the endgame of what you are defending, a society in which too many consider stealing to be acceptable behavior. You're arguing that teachers should teach this, by example, to the children under their tutelage.
You would prefer your kids be taught Rules do not apply to them and breaking those rules should carry no consequences. That would be great parenting skills if you wanted to raise future criminals .

You would prefer your kids be taught Rules do not apply to them and breaking those rules should carry no consequences. That would be great parenting skills if you wanted to raise future criminals .

I am certainly not in favor of children being taught that rules apply only to “the little people”, and may be safely disregarded by those in power. Especially rules against such basic misbehaviors as theft and abuse of force.

You're trying to tell me that by teaching children that stealing is wrong, that somehow this contributes to “raising future criminals”. The Orwellian doublethink here is very loud.

It is you who is arguing that adults should be able to commit violent robbery, and not have to face consequences.

I am certainly not in favor of children being taught that rules apply only to “the little people”, and may be safely disregarded by those in power. Especially rules against such basic misbehaviors as theft and abuse of force.

You're trying to tell me that by teaching children that stealing is wrong, that somehow this contributes to “raising future criminals”. The Orwellian doublethink here is very loud.

It is you who is arguing that adults should be able to commit violent robbery, and not have to face consequences.
I flat out reject your mislabeling of temporarily confiscating prohibited items as theft. Under your theory a child bringing a gun to school should not have it taken away from them because it is committing robbery. Until you start to use some common sense in trying to make an argument for kids having cellphones in class there isn’t anything for us to discuss.

Obviously, a student will learn more if they are not on their phone. Phones will hinder a child's education much more so than being out of dress code for example. But it has led to violence, and someday may lead to a shooting.

I would get mad if someone took my cell phone from me and I'm a 61 year old man who never had a cell phone until I was nearly fifty. Imagine the reaction of a 14 year old who has been addicted emotionally to having their phone since age 9.

In my school, the principal has strongly emphasized that student keep cell phones turned off and in their backpacks after the first bell rings, even if they are still eating breakfast. Teachers are to take away any phone they spot in student's hand, pocket or anywhere besides backpack (we don't use lockers). At our meetings prior to the school year started, when this came up, some teachers said, "it needs to be all of us doing it," because they don't want to be perceived as the mean ones.

Confiscated cell phones are held in the office for parents to pick up, which for some kids is no problem, but for some kids it can be a huge problem. So the consequences are not equal for all students.

A much better strategy is to tell the child to put the phone in their backpack, which brings them into compliance. It is rare for a student to not comply with that request. But telling the student to hand over the phone meets resistance the majority of the time.

If a student refuses to put the phone in the backpack, write a discipline slip and send him or her to the office. If the student refuses to go, send the slip with another student and a note that the student refused to leave. Then the admins can decide what to do from there, including getting assistance from the school resource officer.

Ban phones from schools. Fine the parents each time their kid takes a phone to school, 3 strikes and they're kicked out.

Kids have never needed phones in school, we all survived and we're probably better off for it too.

Obviously, a student will learn more if they are not on their phone. Phones will hinder a child's education much more so than being out of dress code for example. But it has led to violence, and someday may lead to a shooting.

I would get mad if someone took my cell phone from me and I'm a 61 year old man who never had a cell phone until I was nearly fifty. Imagine the reaction of a 14 year old who has been addicted emotionally to having their phone since age 9.

In my school, the principal has strongly emphasized that student keep cell phones turned off and in their backpacks after the first bell rings, even if they are still eating breakfast. Teachers are to take away any phone they spot in student's hand, pocket or anywhere besides backpack (we don't use lockers). At our meetings prior to the school year started, when this came up, some teachers said, "it needs to be all of us doing it," because they don't want to be perceived as the mean ones.

Confiscated cell phones are held in the office for parents to pick up, which for some kids is no problem, but for some kids it can be a huge problem. So the consequences are not equal for all students.

A much better strategy is to tell the child to put the phone in their backpack, which brings them into compliance. It is rare for a student to not comply with that request. But telling the student to hand over the phone meets resistance the majority of the time.

If a student refuses to put the phone in the backpack, write a discipline slip and send him or her to the office. If the student refuses to go, send the slip with another student and a note that the student refused to leave. Then the admins can decide what to do from there, including getting assistance from the school resource officer.

Cell phone jammer...$82....

Amazon product

Forum List

Back