Some Good Movies for D-Day

Several very good movies for D-Day of TCM

The Longest Day is the classic D-Day Movie, an academy award winner that stars half of Hollywood and still manages to be entertaining without too many inaccuracies.

Battleground which follow a single platoon through the Battle of the Bulge, very entertaining and worth seeing. I think this may be on Friday Morning.

36 Hours If you're a James Garner fan and like action adventure movies with a twist, you should like this one

Also on TCM is
A Bridge Too Far and The Battle of Britain both good movies.

On Netflix or Amazon Prime there's
Savings Private Ryan
The Pacific

and several others.

These are just ones I saw in the guide. If you know of others post them.

Haven’t seen 36 hours in many years

Great plot twists based on a paper cut.......good flick

There's an excellent WWII movie staring Danny Kaye.
It's called Me and the Colonel made in 1958. It's not shown very often. In fact, I haven't seen it in years. I wasn't even able to find the trailer. The link below is first 5 or 10 mins of the movie. All the pieces are suppose to be on Youtube but I haven't found them.

The film contrasts two characters, Jewish refugee S. L. Jacobowsky (Danny Kaye) who seeks to leave the country before it falls and autocratic Polish Colonel Prokoszny (Curt Jürgens) who has secret information that must be delivered to London by a certain date. Jacobowsky is timid, intelligent and creative, where Prokoszny is brave, rash, and stuck in his ways. The movie has Prokoszny gradually embracing the viewpoint of the very different S. L. Jacobowsky, quoting his mother, that "In life, there are always two possibilities."

Despite its grim subject matter, this is a charming film. Probably Danny Kaye's most obscure film and also one of his best. It's a Serio-comic fable of a Jewish refugee fleeing occupation forces with hunted officer the blustery Jurgens, his aide Tamiroff and the gorgeous Nicole Maurey in tow. Kaye tones his usual nonsense personality way down and offers an insightful, gentle reading of a good man whose fervent wish is to get to safety for himself and the rather difficult Jurgens he has taken under his wing. Highly recommended.
Me and the Colonel - Wikipedia

Kelly's Heroes, while historically inaccurate, is probably one of my favorite war movies of all times.

And, I really liked Oddball talking like he was a 60's hippie.

That's one of my favorites. You can't beat that cast.

"Have a little faith baby, have a little faith."

Always liked this one:

The Big Red One (1980) - IMDbEdit

iu
Another very good movie. It was cut by nearly 45 mins. The reconstructed version has more scenes and is much closer to the novel. It's of course a lot longer but it's a better movie.

That was one of the movies that was shown in LMET (Leadership, Management Education and Training, basically a leadership school for petty officers of various ranks) when I went through it for E-5. There are some good leadership examples in that movie.

Used 12 O'clock High in my class

12 O'clock High used to be used at the Academies to show what leaderships is all about. One of my favorites of all time.

Das Boot is another.

'The Americanization of Emily' ... the only D-Day comedy of which I'm aware.

220px-Americanization_of_Emily_poster.jpg

'The Americanization of Emily' ... the only D-Day comedy of which I'm aware.

220px-Americanization_of_Emily_poster.jpg
Who would every guess, a romantic comedy about D-Day. Surprisingly, it turns out to be a very funny tender comedy. It's available on Amazon Prime.

Last edited:
Fury and Saving Private Ryan.

The Longest day - because it has many heroes.

Besides that the rest aren't much more than Hogan's Heroes.

Easily the two worst WWII movies I've ever seen, from the standpoint of technical direction.....Kelly's Heroes had a more credible plot line.
I agree..for he most part..Fury was..i dunno what they were thinking--more like a video game.

Saving Private Ryan had a stupid plot-line..BUT..the first 10 minutes of the movie may well be the best depiction of the actual landing in existence. Not for the faint-hearted--after that though..just silly...

Fury and Saving Private Ryan.

The Longest day - because it has many heroes.

Besides that the rest aren't much more than Hogan's Heroes.

Easily the two worst WWII movies I've ever seen, from the standpoint of technical direction.....Kelly's Heroes had a more credible plot line.
I agree..for he most part..Fury was..i dunno what they were thinking--more like a video game.

Saving Private Ryan had a stupid plot-line..BUT..the first 10 minutes of the movie may well be the best depiction of the actual landing in existence. Not for the faint-hearted--after that though..just silly...
100%

The Longest Day is the classic D-Day Movie, an academy award winner that stars half of Hollywood and still manages to be entertaining without too many inaccuracies.

Battleground which follow a single platoon through the Battle of the Bulge, very entertaining and worth seeing. I think this may be on Friday Morning.

36 Hours If you're a James Garner fan and like action adventure movies with a twist, you should like this one

Also on TCM is

Savings Private Ryan
The Pacific

and several others.

Haven’t seen 36 hours in many years

Great plot twists based on a paper cut.......good flick

There's an excellent WWII movie staring Danny Kaye.
It's called Me and the Colonel made in 1958. It's not shown very often. In fact, I haven't seen it in years. I wasn't even able to find the trailer. The link below is first 5 or 10 mins of the movie. All the pieces are suppose to be on Youtube but I haven't found them.

The film contrasts two characters, Jewish refugee S. L. Jacobowsky (Danny Kaye) who seeks to leave the country before it falls and autocratic Polish Colonel Prokoszny (Curt Jürgens) who has secret information that must be delivered to London by a certain date. Jacobowsky is timid, intelligent and creative, where Prokoszny is brave, rash, and stuck in his ways. The movie has Prokoszny gradually embracing the viewpoint of the very different S. L. Jacobowsky, quoting his mother, that "In life, there are always two possibilities."

Despite its grim subject matter, this is a charming film. Probably Danny Kaye's most obscure film and also one of his best. It's a Serio-comic fable of a Jewish refugee fleeing occupation forces with hunted officer the blustery Jurgens, his aide Tamiroff and the gorgeous Nicole Maurey in tow. Kaye tones his usual nonsense personality way down and offers an insightful, gentle reading of a good man whose fervent wish is to get to safety for himself and the rather difficult Jurgens he has taken under his wing. Highly recommended.
Me and the Colonel - Wikipedia

Been trying to find that for years

Private Ryan was meant to be a sort of travelogue of the invasion and the different scenarios faced, which is why the 'plot' is loose and sort of just an excuse to wander around the front through various scenes. I thought it was fine for what it was trying to do. I still like the 'original' D-Day, with all the star actors in it; watch it every year.

Private Ryan was meant to be a sort of travelogue of the invasion and the different scenarios faced, which is why the 'plot' is loose and sort of just an excuse to wander around the front through various scenes. I thought it was fine for what it was trying to do. I still like the 'original' D-Day, with all the star actors in it; watch it every year.
The D Day landing was spectacular

After that, it kind of meandered

On youtube there are several nicely filmed Russian WWll movies dealing with the war from their perspective. Many have english subtitles and are actually quite good. Just go to youtube and type in 'Russian war movies with english subtitles'. ... :cool:

Also on TCM is

Savings Private Ryan
The Pacific

and several others.

The Great Escape.

Forum List

Back