Some Good Movies for D-Day

Private Ryan was meant to be a sort of travelogue of the invasion and the different scenarios faced, which is why the 'plot' is loose and sort of just an excuse to wander around the front through various scenes. I thought it was fine for what it was trying to do. I still like the 'original' D-Day, with all the star actors in it; watch it every year.
I like The Pacific a bit better, however I didn't consider either to among best.

Several very good movies for D-Day of TCM

The Longest Day is the classic D-Day Movie, an academy award winner that stars half of Hollywood and still manages to be entertaining without too many inaccuracies.

Battleground which follow a single platoon through the Battle of the Bulge, very entertaining and worth seeing. I think this may be on Friday Morning.

36 Hours If you're a James Garner fan and like action adventure movies with a twist, you should like this one

Also on TCM is
A Bridge Too Far and The Battle of Britain both good movies.

On Netflix or Amazon Prime there's
Savings Private Ryan
The Pacific

and several others.

These are just ones I saw in the guide. If you know of others post them.

The Great Escape.

I thought The Great Escape was fun movie to watch along the Dirty Dozen.

Private Ryan was meant to be a sort of travelogue of the invasion and the different scenarios faced, which is why the 'plot' is loose and sort of just an excuse to wander around the front through various scenes. I thought it was fine for what it was trying to do. I still like the 'original' D-Day, with all the star actors in it; watch it every year.
I like The Pacific a bit better, however I didn't consider either to among best.

I liked Band of Bothers better than The Pacific, and have BOB on DVD. I should watch the Pacific again as I'd probably appreciate it more.

On youtube there are several nicely filmed Russian WWll movies dealing with the war from their perspective. Many have english subtitles and are actually quite good. Just go to youtube and type in 'Russian war movies with english subtitles'. ... :cool:
Did you watch Stalingrad. I started it and it look interesting.

On youtube there are several nicely filmed Russian WWll movies dealing with the war from their perspective. Many have english subtitles and are actually quite good. Just go to youtube and type in 'Russian war movies with english subtitles'. ... :cool:
Enemy at the Gates

I liked Band of Bothers better than The Pacific, and have BOB on DVD. I should watch the Pacific again as I'd probably appreciate it more.
My dad and my uncle were both in the service. My uncle served in the Pacific. I was in the first grade when the bomb was dropped so I do remember stuff about the war and the home front. I think many of the movies made during the war contained so much propaganda about the actual war as to make them very unrealistic. However depictions of the home front seem be more accurate.

Last edited:

My dad and my uncle were both in the service. My uncle served in the Pacific. I was in the first grade when the bomb was dropped so I do remember stuff about the war and the home front. I think many of the movies made during the war contained so much propaganda about the actual war as to make them very unrealistic. However depictions of the home front seem be more accurate.

I had two uncles that were combat, infantry Marines, and did much of the Island campaign. Neither received a scratch in all that combat. They NEVER talked about it, and I knew better than to ask.

One movie I liked had James Coburn playing a German sergeant on the Russian front, just trying to stay alive after being rolled back and surrounded by the Russians, and trying to save a kid as well. James Mason played the lunatic German commanding officer sent to replace the one who died, and still thinks he has a force to command and defeat the Russians with. Can't remember then name, and it's rarely shown any more. Both Coburn and Mason were excellent, the main reason I liked it.

Yes, the story takes place during the brutal Russian winter and shows how raw life was during that time.

Another interesting Russian war movie with english subtitles is "White Tiger".

Given the total crap that makes up over 90% of Hollywood fare, and it's now frequent dependence on remakes of older movies and shows, they would be fighting to show a lot more foreign movies and shows, but nah, too much dope and deviancy for something like that to occur to them. Why not also televise foreign versions of The Voice and AGT? they got more than enough air time wasted on crap to at least experiment with running those.

Yes, the story takes place during the brutal Russian winter and shows how raw life was during that time.

Another interesting Russian war movie with english subtitles is "White Tiger".

Given the total crap that makes up over 90% of Hollywood fare, and it's now frequent dependence on remakes of older movies and shows, they would be fighting to show a lot more foreign movies and shows, but nah, too much dope and deviancy for something like that to occur to them. Why not also televise foreign versions of The Voice and AGT? they got more than enough air time wasted on crap to at least experiment with running those.

Hollywood makes movies because people pay to see them. Movies can entertain, educate, inspire, and shape public opinion but their purpose is to make money. We often think of movie people as artist which they may well be but they work to get a paycheck just like everyone else. Just as you might take a job you hate because of the pay, movie people do the same thing.

WWII galvanized the public as no war has done and that included Hollywood. A number of actors were able to get deferments for various reasons. Many of those actors appeared in war propaganda movies. However many did serve and fight in the war such as Jimmy Stewart, Clark Gable, Charles Bronson, Rod Sterling, Henry Fonda, etc.

A number of Hollywood actors participated in the D-Day landing including Henry Fonda, David Niven, Richard Todd, Charles Durning, Alec Guinness, etc....

The Longest Day is the classic D-Day Movie, an academy award winner that stars half of Hollywood and still manages to be entertaining without too many inaccuracies.

Battleground which follow a single platoon through the Battle of the Bulge, very entertaining and worth seeing. I think this may be on Friday Morning.

36 Hours If you're a James Garner fan and like action adventure movies with a twist, you should like this one

Also on TCM is

Savings Private Ryan
The Pacific

and several others.

Instead of fiction. View some of the great documentaries on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Ken Burns has put out many excellent documentaries and he has several on WW-II including several on D-Day.

Last edited:

Also on TCM is

Savings Private Ryan
The Pacific

and several others.

Instead of fiction. View some of the great documentaries on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Ken Burns has put out many excellent documentaries and he has several on WW-II including several on D-Day.

Ken Burns, as usually did an excellent job of creating a documentary of the story of WWII from the American perspective. My only criticism of the series is you can not tell the story of WWII from just one perspective.

For two years Russia not only held out against a German force of 3 million but sent them back to Germany with their tails between their legs. For Hitler it was a humiliating defeat, one that the Germany Army would never recovery. It was the turning point of the war in Europe. The German high command would continue to maintain a facade of confidence of inevitable victory but privately they knew there would be no great victory.

The cost for Russia was high. In fact, for every American soldier killed fighting Germans, 80 Soviet soldiers died. So it's no surprise that when Americans claim D-Day destroyed the will of German army, Russians would take issue.

I enjoyed the Longest Day more because it gave a better view of all sides. Documentaries such The War, give a more accurate picture but I believe the Longest Day gave the most accurate account of any dramatic presentations. There were of course inaccuracies such as using the wrong amphibious crafts during the landing due to shortages of the actual boats. Some scenes were added for dramatic effect and entertainment value that were questionable historically. However, the movie is overall quite accurate and for once Hollywood got it mostly right. Therefore, the film has generally been viewed favorably by historians and many teachers even believe it is suitable for teaching children about the history of D-Day.

How historically accurate is the movie The Longest Day? - DailyHistory.org

I thought Midway was a good movie, and there were a few decent submarine movies too, like Run Silent, Run Deep.
Have you seen The Enemy Below? It's and excellent movie about submarine warfare where two captains (Robert Michum and Curt Jurgens) try to out wit each other in a cat and mouse game where each gains respect for each other.
I believe the link below is the complete movie.

I thought Midway was a good movie, and there were a few decent submarine movies too, like Run Silent, Run Deep.
Have you seen The Enemy Below? It's and excellent movie about submarine warfare where two captains (Robert Michum and Curt Jurgens) try to out wit each other in a cat and mouse game where each gains respect for each other.
I believe the link below is the complete movie.

Yeah, that was a good one too. I pretty much like Robert Mitchum movies, remember Heaven Knows Mr Allison? Your link didn't work though. He was good in the Winds of War and War and Remembrance, but those were tv miniseries.

Forum List

Back