A Walk in the Sun (1945) -Amazon Prime

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
In 1943, an army platoon lands on the beach near Salerno as part of the Allied invasion. The movie is the story of a 6 mile walk in the Sun to a farmhouse. This movie is very different from most WWII movies. Most of the war is beyond the next hill, smoke and explosion's. It is all about the soldiers in the platoon. There is only one major battle in the movie. According my Dad who fought in WWII, this was the most realist war movie he had seen. You know where you came from and have a pretty good idea of where you're going. The war is all around but you can't really see much. You walk and walk and walk and all of a sudden you're own the ground, explosions and noise. Then it's quiet and time to walk and walk This movie is from the perspective of the troops who were walking in the hot Italian sun on a day in September of 1943.

At one time it was free on Amazon. I think you have to rent it now.

Last edited:
In 1943, an army platoon lands on the beach near Salerno as part of the Allied invasion. The movie is the story of a 6 mile walk in the Sun to a farmhouse. This movie is very different from most WWII movies. Most of the war is beyond the next hill, smoke and explosion's. It is all about the soldiers in the platoon. There is only one major battle in the movie. According my Dad who fought in WWII, this was the most realist war movie he had seen. You know where you came from and have a pretty good idea of where you're going. The war is all around but you can't really see much. You walk and walk and walk and all of a sudden you're own the ground, explosions and noise. Then it's quiet and time to walk and walk This movie is from the perspective of the troops who were walking in the hot Italian sun on a day in September of 1943.

I saw that movie on Turner Classic, the other night. I had never seen it before. That is a great movie!

It is free on Tubi free movies and TV..

Interesting that it was produced in 1945 near the end of the war. Many of the stories I have read during this time play out as described here, in particular in Italy. The German soldiers knew the end was near, but all sides were in unchartered territory. Walking on foreign land, unable to speak the language of the locals, hearing the rumours that the war could be coming to an end but still in it. Must have been surreal.

Last edited:
I saw that movie on Turner Classic, the other night. I had never seen it before. That is a great movie!
That is where i saw it also. I had seen it 40 or 50 years ago but did not remember it. I like it because it gave a different perspective on the war. Most war movies focus the major evens such as D-Day, Dunkirk, etc. This focused on just one small battle. Of course if you are in that battle it's not so small.

Another really good movie from the perspective of the troop is Battleground. This is one of my favorite movies.

I thought this was a trailer but it looks like the whole movie. You don't usually see academy award winners available for free. When the powers that be realize it , they will probably pull it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back