A Few Classic Movies For The Long July 4th Weekend

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
For the long July 4th holiday weekend I noticed some good movies on TCM for classic movie fans. These movies are available elsewhere on streaming service.

All Timea are Pacific so they might be on a little latter in some places in the country.

July 1st 3:15pm Winchester 73 (1950) James Stewart – One of great classific westerns
July 2nd 1:00pm Casablanca (1942) - A classic favorite for all times
July 2nd 5:00pm Best Years of Our Lives – Without a doubt the best non-violent WII movie
July 3rd 5:00pm Road to Singapore followed by the rest of the Bob Hope and Bing Crosby road movies
July 4th 2:30 pm Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) –A great patriotic movie about George M. Cohan
July 4th 5:00pm The Music Man (1962) – One of the great musical comedies of the 60s
July4th 7:45pm 1776 (1972) The reason for all fireworks

The Patriot with Mel Gibson.
The Crossing with Jeff Daniels.
Band of Brothers.
The Pacific.
Saving Private Ryan with Tom Hanks.
Hacksaw Ridge.
Windtalkers with Nicholas Cage.
To me, these are films that speak to why we are a free nation.

All excellent films but like so many Americans you seem to be culturally ignorant outside of your own shores .Even the cringeworthy Oscars shows a smidgin of awareness when it makes a best Foreign Film award.

For the long July 4th holiday weekend I noticed some good movies on TCM for classic movie fans. These movies are available elsewhere on streaming service.

All Timea are Pacific so they might be on a little latter in some places in the country.

July 1st 3:15pm Winchester 73 (1950) James Stewart – One of great classific westerns
July 2nd 1:00pm Casablanca (1942) - A classic favorite for all times
July 2nd 5:00pm Best Years of Our Lives – Without a doubt the best non-violent WII movie
July 3rd 5:00pm Road to Singapore followed by the rest of the Bob Hope and Bing Crosby road movies
July 4th 2:30 pm Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) –A great patriotic movie about George M. Cohan
July 4th 5:00pm The Music Man (1962) – One of the great musical comedies of the 60s
July4th 7:45pm 1776 (1972) The reason for all fireworks
Yep all great classics I love watching TCM. I might watch Casablanca again. One of my all time favorites too. Humphrey Bogart is one of my all time favorite actors. Loved all his movies.

The Patriot with Mel Gibson.
The Crossing with Jeff Daniels.
Band of Brothers.
The Pacific.
Saving Private Ryan with Tom Hanks.
Hacksaw Ridge.
Windtalkers with Nicholas Cage.
To me, these are films that speak to why we are a free nation.
All good movie for the weekend

All excellent films but like so many Americans you seem to be culturally ignorant outside of your own shores .Even the cringeworthy Oscars shows a smidgin of awareness when it makes a best Foreign Film award.
In the Golden Age of Hollywood, mid 30's to the end of the 60's, there were were very few foreign films shown in the US. In large cities, you might find one or two art theaters showing foreign films. but for most of America , foreign films were just an oddity.

American's distaste for foreign films was rooted in the facts that only 1% to 5% of Americans spoke a foreign language and Americans had a marked dislike for reading subtitles. Thus the distribution chains were controlled by Hollywood and the only movies distributed to the big theater chains were made in America for American audience.

I would guess very few American classic movie fans have ever heard of Les Enfants du Paradis (1943 French), Le Mepris (1967 French), M (1931, German), The Seventh Seal (1957 Sweden), Harakiri (1962 Japanese), etc.

Forum List

Back