Some Good Movies for D-Day

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Several very good movies for D-Day of TCM

The Longest Day is the classic D-Day Movie, an academy award winner that stars half of Hollywood and still manages to be entertaining without too many inaccuracies.

Battleground which follow a single platoon through the Battle of the Bulge, very entertaining and worth seeing. I think this may be on Friday Morning.

36 Hours If you're a James Garner fan and like action adventure movies with a twist, you should like this one

Also on TCM is
A Bridge Too Far and The Battle of Britain both good movies.

On Netflix or Amazon Prime there's
Savings Private Ryan
The Pacific

and several others.

These are just ones I saw in the guide. If you know of others post them.

Last edited:
Kelly's Heroes, while historically inaccurate, is probably one of my favorite war movies of all times.

And, I really liked Oddball talking like he was a 60's hippie.

The Longest Day is the classic D-Day Movie, an academy award winner that stars half of Hollywood and still manages to be entertaining without too many inaccuracies.

Battleground which follow a single platoon through the Battle of the Bulge, very entertaining and worth seeing. I think this may be on Friday Morning.

36 Hours If you're a James Garner fan and like action adventure movies with a twist, you should like this one

Also on TCM is

Savings Private Ryan
The Pacific

and several others.

Haven’t seen 36 hours in many years

Great plot twists based on a paper cut.......good flick

Always liked this one:

The Big Red One (1980) - IMDbEdit

iu

HBO is running Band of Brothers Thursday. Starts around 8am with a documentary interviewing members of Easy, followed by the mini-series. That's all I need.

I have all of the above and more stored on my DVR so I can watch them as often as I want with no ads. I got most of the wars covered the revolution, the war of northern aggression, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and even some gulf war and Afghanistan. In large part, war is the essence of history.

The great ones:

Where the Eagles Dare 1972 Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood

Tora Tora Tora! 1970

The Bridge at Remagen 1969 Robert Vaughn, George Segal, Ben Gazzara

They Were Expendable 1945 Robert Montgomery, John Wayne, Donna Reed, Ward Bond, Jack Holt Many never seen or heard of this one, it is very good, worth viewing. Production value are high in this, as they actually used the boats themselves, they used the same areas that the Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Three were in.

Twelve O'clock High 1949 Gregory Peck, Dean Jagger (Best Supporting Actor)

Von Ryan's Express 1965 Frank Sinatra, Trevor Howard

Patton 1970 George Scott, Karl Malden

Have many more, all of them I own in DVD and VHS set up.

Last edited:
Fury and Saving Private Ryan.

The Longest day - because it has many heroes.

Besides that the rest aren't much more than Hogan's Heroes.

Also on TCM is

Savings Private Ryan
The Pacific

and several others.

There's an excellent WWII movie staring Danny Kaye.
It's called Me and the Colonel made in 1958. It's not shown very often. In fact, I haven't seen it in years. I wasn't even able to find the trailer. The link below is first 5 or 10 mins of the movie. All the pieces are suppose to be on Youtube but I haven't found them.

The film contrasts two characters, Jewish refugee S. L. Jacobowsky (Danny Kaye) who seeks to leave the country before it falls and autocratic Polish Colonel Prokoszny (Curt Jürgens) who has secret information that must be delivered to London by a certain date. Jacobowsky is timid, intelligent and creative, where Prokoszny is brave, rash, and stuck in his ways. The movie has Prokoszny gradually embracing the viewpoint of the very different S. L. Jacobowsky, quoting his mother, that "In life, there are always two possibilities."

Despite its grim subject matter, this is a charming film. Probably Danny Kaye's most obscure film and also one of his best. It's a Serio-comic fable of a Jewish refugee fleeing occupation forces with hunted officer the blustery Jurgens, his aide Tamiroff and the gorgeous Nicole Maurey in tow. Kaye tones his usual nonsense personality way down and offers an insightful, gentle reading of a good man whose fervent wish is to get to safety for himself and the rather difficult Jurgens he has taken under his wing. Highly recommended.
Me and the Colonel - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Also on TCM is

Savings Private Ryan
The Pacific

and several others.

There's an excellent WWII movie staring Danny Kaye.
It's called Me and the Colonel made in 1958. It's not shown very often. In fact, I haven't seen it in years. I wasn't even able to find the trailer. The link below is first 5 or 10 mins of the movie. All the pieces are suppose to be on Youtube but I haven't found them.

The film contrasts two characters, Jewish refugee S. L. Jacobowsky (Danny Kaye) who seeks to leave the country before it falls and autocratic Polish Colonel Prokoszny (Curt Jürgens) who has secret information that must be delivered to London by a certain date. Jacobowsky is timid, intelligent and creative, where Prokoszny is brave, rash, and stuck in his ways. The movie has Prokoszny gradually embracing the viewpoint of the very different S. L. Jacobowsky, quoting his mother, that "In life, there are always two possibilities."

Despite its grim subject matter, this is a charming film. Probably Danny Kaye's most obscure film and also one of his best. It's a Serio-comic fable of a Jewish refugee fleeing occupation forces with hunted officer the blustery Jurgens, his aide Tamiroff and the gorgeous Nicole Maurey in tow. Kaye tones his usual nonsense personality way down and offers an insightful, gentle reading of a good man whose fervent wish is to get to safety for himself and the rather difficult Jurgens he has taken under his wing. Highly recommended.
Me and the Colonel - Wikipedia

Never heard of it

Have to look it up

Also on TCM is

Savings Private Ryan
The Pacific

and several others.

Funny, Sean Connery is in both Bridge too far and Longest day. So is one of the German commanders.

That was one of the movies that was shown in LMET (Leadership, Management Education and Training, basically a leadership school for petty officers of various ranks) when I went through it for E-5. There are some good leadership examples in that movie.

Used 12 O'clock High in my class
I have probably seen 12 O'clock High at least 3 times. Gregory Peck was excellent as was the whole cast. To me the first few minutes at the beginning and the end of the film are so poignant, it send chills up my spine.

Forum List

Back