So. Who is going to celebrate Easter?

Gotta have that candy and dress up for "fun"!
How many Christians do Halloween?

To most people these days, Halloween is just a fun time to dress up, eat candy and attend parties.

But there are others that take this holiday extremely seriously.

For Wiccans, it is one of the most important times of the year. The following description of Samhain comes from wicca.com

Samhain, (pronounced SOW-in, SAH-vin, or SAM-hayne) means “End of Summer”, and is the third and final Harvest. The dark winter half of the year commences on this Sabbat.

It is generally celebrated on October 31st, but some traditions prefer November 1st. It is one of the two “spirit-nights” each year, the other being Beltane. It is a magical interval when the mundane laws of time and space are temporarily suspended, and the Thin Veil between the worlds is lifted. Communicating with ancestors and departed loved ones is easy at this time, for they journey through this world on their way to the Summerlands. It is a time to study the Dark Mysteries and honor the Dark Mother and the Dark Father, symbolized by the Crone and her aged Consort.

Originally the “Feast of the Dead” was celebrated in Celtic countries by leaving food offerings on altars and doorsteps for the “wandering dead”. Today a lot of practitioners still carry out that tradition. Single candles were lit and left in a window to help guide the spirits of ancestors and loved ones home. Extra chairs were set to the table and around the hearth for the unseen guest. Apples were buried along roadsides and paths for spirits who were lost or had no descendants to provide for them. Turnips were hollowed out and carved to look like protective spirits, for this was a night of magic and chaos. The Wee Folke became very active, pulling pranks on unsuspecting humans. Traveling after dark was was not advised. People dressed in white (like ghosts), wore disguises made of straw, or dressed as the opposite gender in order to fool the Nature spirits.

So how in the world did a pagan festival known as Samhain become the holiday known as “Halloween” that we celebrate today?

Well, in the early seventh century a Catholic Pope known as Gregory the First decided that the best approach to ensure the continued spread of Catholicism was to “christianize” existing pagan holidays and practices

As a result of their efforts to wipe out “pagan” holidays, such as Samhain, the Christians succeeded in effecting major transformations in it. In 601 A.D. Pope Gregory the First issued a now famous edict to his missionaries concerning the native beliefs and customs of the peoples he hoped to convert. Rather than try to obliterate native peoples’ customs and beliefs, the pope instructed his missionaries to use them: if a group of people worshipped a tree, rather than cut it down, he advised them to consecrate it to Christ and allow its continued worship.

An existing Catholic festival known as All Saints Day (or All Hallows Day) was moved to the same time as Samhain. Eventually, All Hallows Eve became known as “Halloween”, but many of the ancient Celtic traditions never disappeared.

The Pagan Roots Of Halloween

It isn't a problem. I just find it humorous that excuses can be made for pagan rituals by christians that tout out the Book when it suits their purposes yet proudly wear that big H on their foreheads while doing it. :lol:

I don't see it as hypocritical at all. The fact that you think it is says more about the restrictions you seek to put on Christians than vice versa.
Mountain-molehill. I don't give a damn either way. Until someone tries to thump me on the head with a bible while carrying an easter bunny basket. :lol:
Then why the thread?

The symbolism you speak of, in regards to Easter and Christmas alike, is meant to be inclusive.
I'm truly sorry if inclusion is contrary to your view of Christianity
Why not the thread? This is a message board. Discussion. Topics. Chitchat. Jabbering. Visiting. Socializing. I just wondered how many Christians ignore the fact that Easter and bunnies laying colored eggs in baskets for kids to find are two separate things. Jesus on one hand..pagan on the other. The two can be separate but still mesh....until a christian that is close minded starts thumping. Not all do that. Not saying they do.
Sigh. It was just convo. Thats it. Dayum.
If that's all it was meant to be, I apologize.
One gets tired of the constant barrage from atheists for our beliefs.

I was once, and I'm sure there are others like me out there, a young blinded follower that didn't know the why's and who's and how's of our Christian holidays (holy days).
My hope (prayer) is that this discussion can be a learning experience for them.

We can do that without the condescension, though.
I'm not atheist. Far from it. I am sorta....pantheist/pagan/christian. In short...I'm kinda weird. :lol: And I drag God and Jesus around with me on my weird path. Which means...drumroll....my head is also buried in the sand. What tickles my ear, I go with. What makes it itch, I dump.

To most people these days, Halloween is just a fun time to dress up, eat candy and attend parties.

For Wiccans, it is one of the most important times of the year. The following description of Samhain comes from wicca.com

Samhain, (pronounced SOW-in, SAH-vin, or SAM-hayne) means “End of Summer”, and is the third and final Harvest. The dark winter half of the year commences on this Sabbat.

It is generally celebrated on October 31st, but some traditions prefer November 1st. It is one of the two “spirit-nights” each year, the other being Beltane. It is a magical interval when the mundane laws of time and space are temporarily suspended, and the Thin Veil between the worlds is lifted. Communicating with ancestors and departed loved ones is easy at this time, for they journey through this world on their way to the Summerlands. It is a time to study the Dark Mysteries and honor the Dark Mother and the Dark Father, symbolized by the Crone and her aged Consort.

Originally the “Feast of the Dead” was celebrated in Celtic countries by leaving food offerings on altars and doorsteps for the “wandering dead”. Today a lot of practitioners still carry out that tradition. Single candles were lit and left in a window to help guide the spirits of ancestors and loved ones home. Extra chairs were set to the table and around the hearth for the unseen guest. Apples were buried along roadsides and paths for spirits who were lost or had no descendants to provide for them. Turnips were hollowed out and carved to look like protective spirits, for this was a night of magic and chaos. The Wee Folke became very active, pulling pranks on unsuspecting humans. Traveling after dark was was not advised. People dressed in white (like ghosts), wore disguises made of straw, or dressed as the opposite gender in order to fool the Nature spirits.

So how in the world did a pagan festival known as Samhain become the holiday known as “Halloween” that we celebrate today?

Well, in the early seventh century a Catholic Pope known as Gregory the First decided that the best approach to ensure the continued spread of Catholicism was to “christianize” existing pagan holidays and practices

As a result of their efforts to wipe out “pagan” holidays, such as Samhain, the Christians succeeded in effecting major transformations in it. In 601 A.D. Pope Gregory the First issued a now famous edict to his missionaries concerning the native beliefs and customs of the peoples he hoped to convert. Rather than try to obliterate native peoples’ customs and beliefs, the pope instructed his missionaries to use them: if a group of people worshipped a tree, rather than cut it down, he advised them to consecrate it to Christ and allow its continued worship.

An existing Catholic festival known as All Saints Day (or All Hallows Day) was moved to the same time as Samhain. Eventually, All Hallows Eve became known as “Halloween”, but many of the ancient Celtic traditions never disappeared.

Now, Halloween as fun as it used to be, I can't stomach seeing a church have Halloween parties

Now, Halloween as fun as it used to be, I can't stomach seeing a church have Halloween parties
It's what tickles their ears...and the kids ears. We ALL do it. Take what is good for oneself, leave the rest. Whether it is right or wrong.

It's what tickles their ears...and the kids ears. We ALL do it. Take what is good for oneself, leave the rest. Whether it is right or wrong.
I have and will celebrate it with the younginz.
Just don't like a church touching it.

Thinking on it, I guess it's like the early church using what's familiar with the Pagans to bring them into the fold.

Pretty thin line......
:dunno:

Pretty sure God isn't going to send anyone to everlasting hellfire for playing dress up, eating candy and chasing an egg laying rabbit. :lol:

When we were more an agricultural community, spring time produced eggs, chicks, ducklings, and bunnies.
interesting...on the farm I grew up in we had eggs and chicks and bunnies all year long......

Interesting. In this area the only time I see baby bunnies, chicks, ducklings, goslings, poults is in the spring. Of course, the poults (that survive) follow the mother for their first year. Maybe its because it is wildlife, not farm life?
did you think rabbits got their reputation by only having one litter a year?.........and chickens lay eggs every other day, sometimes more.......they could hatch as many as 180 chicks a year......

I learned something interesting while double checking this....
"One way to tell what color egg a chicken will lay is to look at her earlobe! A hen with a white earlobe will always lay white eggs, whereas hens with red earlobes can lay brown, blue or green eggs."

I thought it had to do with the amount of scratch in their feed

apparently not....

The church-sponsored Halloween party in my town is the biggest thing going.

Pretty sure God isn't going to send anyone to everlasting hellfire for playing dress up, eating candy and chasing an egg laying rabbit. :lol:

Since pagan additives are straight off the table of demons( 1Cor 10:21) and Jesus told the Laodecians in Rev 3--anyone sitting on the fence( partaking of both tables) he will vomit out. It will not go well for them--- Everlasting hellfire is a false teaching--it was symbolism. Jesus taught--those who walk the broad and spacious path will be destroyed---not given eternal life to suffer. God is love--not a sadist.

Since pagan additives are straight off the table of demons( 1Cor 10:21) and Jesus told the Laodecians in Rev 3--anyone sitting on the fence( partaking of both tables) he will vomit out. It will not go well for them--- Everlasting hellfire is a false teaching--it was symbolism. Jesus taught--those who walk the broad and spacious path will be destroyed---not given eternal life to suffer. God is love--not a sadist.

We can also consider these passages from Matthew 11:

We played a flute for you, but you did not dance, we sang a dirge but you did not mourn...The Son of Man came eating and drinking and they said, "Look, he is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners."

Yes, I plan to celebrate the resurrection of Christ and the eternal salvation of mankind through his willing sacrifice.

And yes, being a part of the world I will also participate in egg coloring, because that's a spring time tradition that is fun.

I don't see the problem.
It isn't a problem. I just find it humorous that excuses can be made for pagan rituals by christians that tout out the Book when it suits their purposes yet proudly wear that big H on their foreheads while doing it. :lol:

As someone said earlier, your over excessive bigotry is making you appear quite the idiot in this thread. First of all, you're the moron that started the thread, so what was it based on exactly? What Christian was making 'excuses' for pagan rituals? The ones in your head perhaps? Oh, it was the ones that 'tout out the Book when it suits their purposes', right? Well, who are they? Where are they? Cause your OP certainly was completely started by you, no one else, and I haven't seen one example of one Christian that meets your description? So please, give us some names of Christians that 'make excuses for Pagan rituals', or 'touts the Book when it suits their purposes'?

And while you're at it, why don't you explain to everyone exactly why it's 'hypocritical' of a Christian church to have an Easter Egg hunt, let alone have to make 'excuses' for it? Your hatred has turned into insanity.

I'm amused by the insecure simpletons that have nothing better to do than attempt to mock Christians at every opportunity. must be a sad existence being so insecure, intolerant and full of hate.

Actually in every encyclopedia( facts of history) it clearly shows both Easter and Christmas have pagan additives.
Pagan additives come straight off the table of demons( 1Cor 10:21) God says one cannot partake off both tables--that means Jesus would have 0 to do with Easter or Christmas--- they are a misleading illusion to deceive--it has been going on for centuries-- by these fake christian religions( Mark 3:24-26)2Thess 2:3

No one is worshiping Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, so no one is 'partaking off of both tables'. Maybe we shouldn't celebrate birthdays either? Maybe that would be seen as worshiping the birthday boy or girl instead of God, the utter ridiculousness of the logic in here is truly sad.

Your bigotry and misconceptions are so tangled it's hard to even address it, Gracie. You make assumptions that aren't valid about Christians, then attack them if they don't adhere to your idea of what you think being Christian is all about.

I'm a Christian, and my kids hunt Easter eggs for fun. Our CHURCH hosts egg hunts. It doesn't mean we're worshipping pagan gods any more than Madonna wearing a crucifix means she's a nun.
It flew over yer head.
It's hard to address it because it flies in the face of your supposed beliefs and sticking to those beliefs means yer kids can't have fun hunting eggs laid by a rabbit so if you keep yer head buried in the sand..its all good. Right? Right.
I am not attacking christians. I am one myself. But I am open minded enough to know I am not a "true" christian, make lots of mistakes, and have my own head buried in the sand on some things. And I never stated anyone was worshipping pagan gods. I said Easter is a pagan holiday. Show me where I said otherwise. You can't, because I didn't. Does that make you a bigot to state something you THINK I insinuated?
Like I said....it's too deep for you. And, you don't want to give up your "fun stuff". Wear that H proudly. I know I do as well from time to time. Difference is...I admit it. You refuse to.

Easter is a Christian holiday celebrating the rise of Christ from the cross, and that is what Christians celebrate. You're just another Christian hating ignorant idiot that's an attention whore who spews hatred at those you envy in order to get a reaction. Same shit, different day.

I'm amused by the insecure simpletons that have nothing better to do than attempt to mock Christians at every opportunity. must be a sad existence being so insecure, intolerant and full of hate.

Actually in every encyclopedia( facts of history) it clearly shows both Easter and Christmas have pagan additives.
Pagan additives come straight off the table of demons( 1Cor 10:21) God says one cannot partake off both tables--that means Jesus would have 0 to do with Easter or Christmas--- they are a misleading illusion to deceive--it has been going on for centuries-- by these fake christian religions( Mark 3:24-26)2Thess 2:3

No one is worshiping Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, so no one is 'partaking off of both tables'. Maybe we shouldn't celebrate birthdays either? Maybe that would be seen as worshiping the birthday boy or girl instead of God, the utter ridiculousness of the logic in here is truly sad.

Pagan additives come off the table of demons--worship has nothing to do with it.
The bunny and colored eggs were practices of the pagan rites of spring festival-- brought into the easter celebration by the world--the world Jesus said to be no part of.
Satans #1 tool all through history--get parents to hand down to their own children things off the table of demons.
Those who truly know God know its true. Satan transforms into an angel of light,( 2Cor 11:12-15) he uses gods, love, sharing to deceive. to get one to partake off the table of demons by making it look good, and by making it look weird not to participate.

Your bigotry and misconceptions are so tangled it's hard to even address it, Gracie. You make assumptions that aren't valid about Christians, then attack them if they don't adhere to your idea of what you think being Christian is all about.

I'm a Christian, and my kids hunt Easter eggs for fun. Our CHURCH hosts egg hunts. It doesn't mean we're worshipping pagan gods any more than Madonna wearing a crucifix means she's a nun.
It flew over yer head.
It's hard to address it because it flies in the face of your supposed beliefs and sticking to those beliefs means yer kids can't have fun hunting eggs laid by a rabbit so if you keep yer head buried in the sand..its all good. Right? Right.
I am not attacking christians. I am one myself. But I am open minded enough to know I am not a "true" christian, make lots of mistakes, and have my own head buried in the sand on some things. And I never stated anyone was worshipping pagan gods. I said Easter is a pagan holiday. Show me where I said otherwise. You can't, because I didn't. Does that make you a bigot to state something you THINK I insinuated?
Like I said....it's too deep for you. And, you don't want to give up your "fun stuff". Wear that H proudly. I know I do as well from time to time. Difference is...I admit it. You refuse to.

Easter is a Christian holiday celebrating the rise of Christ from the cross, and that is what Christians celebrate. You're just another Christian hating ignorant idiot that's an attention whore who spews hatred at those you envy in order to get a reaction. Same shit, different day.
lol. Got ya all riled up, did I?

Truth hurts, sparky.

Meanwhile, I went to the local christian thrift shop today. The folks running it were all excited about this coming sunday and the easter egg hunt. For once, I kept my mouth shut, but I smiled a lot and once in awhile shook my head. :lol:

Meanwhile, I went to the local christian thrift shop today. The folks running it were all excited about this coming sunday and the easter egg hunt. For once, I kept my mouth shut, but I smiled a lot and once in awhile shook my head. :lol:

Good for you.

Meanwhile, remember..you aren't the authority on what is *acceptable* celebration for Christians. Kids like to hunt eggs, and we aren't compelled to abstain just because you can't wrap your tiny brain around the fact that Christians can partake of egg hunts without rejecting Christ.

Good for you.

Meanwhile, remember..you aren't the authority on what is *acceptable* celebration for Christians. Kids like to hunt eggs, and we aren't compelled to abstain just because you can't wrap your tiny brain around the fact that Christians can partake of egg hunts without rejecting Christ.
I'm so glad your head in the sand syndrome can't understand what I am saying. But you go ahead and do whatever tickles yer ear and I will do the same.

Good for you.

I'm so glad your head in the sand syndrome can't understand what I am saying. But you go ahead and do whatever tickles yer ear and I will do the same.

I understand what you're saying just fine.

You're saying that you feel smug because in your narrow world, Christians who allow their kids to hunt Easter eggs are somehow stupid, or don't know where the origin of Easter egg hunts comes from, or are somehow being unfaithful to their Christian roots.

It's patently stupid of you, and wrong besides. I know, undoubtedly better than you, where the traditions spring from. I embrace the tradition. It doesn't mean I'm not a Christian. It means I appreciate the history and don't see a conflict, because the only conflict is the one that's imagined by people who obviously don't have a good understanding of either of the traditions.

I am very excited for Easter weekend. I am going home on Thursday and spending the entire weekend with family and friends. I plan helping my momma in the kitchen, playing oddles of cards/board games, and sipping far too much booze over the weekend. lol

Forum List

Back