So, is the left denouncing Obama's "unlawful" war in Libya?

Heres your problem, we have signed the UN charter and in doing so this type of action is perfectly in line with US laws.

Bush did not get the UN behind him and did not do it legally.

face it, Obama is now the same as Georg AND Dwight. Stop living in denial, your saint is a trojan horse in your brain, makin you stupid.

Didn't congress approve our membership in the UN?

Methinks that puts it on par with treaties

This is the correct answer. Congress voted to join the UN and there in lies your Congressional approval. Still, I dont think we should be meddling in Libya.

The U.N. charter does not replace our Constitution.
But foreign treaties approved by congress are on par with cotus itself.

Methinks this would extend to their approval of our membership in the U.N. We are now bound by the U.N. charter and all binding resolutions.

Similarly, COTUS didn't replace the Virginia constitution, but when the Virginia legislature ratified it and became part of the Union, they became bound by COTUS

Only in the minds fools

Hahaha. Well, I am still waiting for you to cite where the UN has the authority to strong-arm the USA into military conflict. Also, still waiting for you to cite the amendment in our Constitution (You know...the "law of the land"?) that hands over our military to the UN. Please, start citing and educating us since we are all fools and you are the only smart one here.

The Constitution states that only the U.S. Congress can make a declaration of war. It does not give authority to the U.N. to drag the U.S. into a war

Didn't congress approve our membership in the UN?

Methinks that puts it on par with treaties

This is the correct answer. Congress voted to join the UN and there in lies your Congressional approval.
Not even Stretch Armstrong can reach that one.

Military engagements authorized by United Nations Security Council Resolutions and funded by CongressIn many instances, the United States has engaged in extended military engagements that were authorized by United Nations Security Council Resolutions and funded by appropriations from Congress.

Military Engagement Opponent(s) Initial Authorization President Conclusion
Korean War North Korea
People's Republic of China
UNSCR 84, 1950 Harry S. Truman Armistice[11] 1953
Multinational Force in Lebanon Shia militia,
Druze miltia, Syria
UNSCR 425, 1978
UNSCR 426, 1978
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan
US forces withdrew in 1984
Gulf War,
also known as Operation Desert Storm
Iraq UNSCR 678, 1990 George H. W. Bush UNSCR 689, 1991
Bosnian War
also known as UNPROFOR

Serbia UNSCR 770, 1992
UNSCR 776, 1992 UNSCR 836, 1993
Bill Clinton Reflagged as IFOR in 1995,
Reflagged as SFOR in 1996, Completed in 2004

2001 war in Afghanistan,
also known as Operation Enduring Freedom
Afghanistan
al-Qaeda UNSCR 1368, 2001
UNSCR 1378, 2001
George W. Bush
Barack Obama
Ongoing
Second Liberian Civil War Peacekeeping UNSCR 1497, 2003 George W. Bush US Forces withdraw in 2003 after UNMIL is established
Haiti,
also known as MINUSTAH
UNSCR 1529, 2004
UNSCR 1542, 2004

Now tell me when the SCOTUS determined any of these actions illegal ?

Declaration of war by the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Druze miltia, Syria
UNSCR 425, 1978
UNSCR 426, 1978
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan

So are you righties going to slam Reagan for the same thing ?

Since we haven't had a declaration of war since WW2 yes, I'll slam any President who has unlawfully engaged in military action be they Democrat or Republican. Can you say the same? Obviously not.

so... Jefferson?

First Barbary War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe if President Obama comes out on the WH lawn and declares that Khaddfi has WMD, conservatives will support him even if he has no definitive proof . You know, just like they did with Bush 43,

maybe you can stick to the thread TOPIC?

:eusa_whistle:

Maybe if President Obama comes out on the WH lawn and declares that Khaddfi has WMD, conservatives will support him even if he has no definitive proof . You know, just like they did with Bush 43,

Pretty sure big name liberal politicians like Hilary Clinton believed it too. Nice try though.

Druze miltia, Syria
UNSCR 425, 1978
UNSCR 426, 1978
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan

try and keep up; its called the war powers resolution act. and reagan did, On September 29, 1983, Congress passed the Multinational Force in Lebanon Resolution determining that the requirements of section 4(a)(1) of the War Powers Resolution became operative on August 29, 1983. (34) In the same resolution, Congress authorized the continued participation of the Marines in the Multinational Force for 18 months. The resolution was a compromise between Congress and the President. Congress obtained the President's signature on legislation invoking the War Powers Resolution for the first time, but the price for this concession was a congressional authorization for the U.S. troops to remain in Lebanon for 18 months.
The War Powers Resolution: After Thirty Years

section 4(a)(1) in that;

the forces were being introduced into hostilities or imminent hostilities, thus triggering the 60-90 day time limit.

hello, guys flying over Libya ? they are being introduced, so whats the haps with congress and obama?

What a amazing magic trick, all the neocons who were for the War in Iraq are suddenly against it. Anything to score political points against Obama I suppose. :lol:

Though personally, I'm not for the U.S intervening in Libya. If it was a moral issue, then I would of agreed with the War in Iraq as well. My issue here is that we're already in Afghanistan and Iraq. We cannot afford to be in Libya as well. The U.S should not and doesn't need to play world police with every single incident that goes on in the world. I have no problem however with the rest of the U.N members intervening if they so choose.

Letting a dictator kill his people at his insane whim is not going to be good for anyone in the world.

If Gadafi is allowed to bomb his own people until only his cronies are left what do you think that says to the rest of the countries on the brink of revolution for democracy?

You people just hate anything this president does no matter what it is.

This is a UN action and not a declared war.

Couldn't that be said in reference to Sadam Hussein? I mean we all know he killed his own people.

:eusa_eh:
....At least, that was the Selective Amnesia version, from BUSHCO's facts-generator.

Wankin.gif

logo.gif

March 25, 2004

"A careful reading of the cited U.S. Agency for International Development report reveals a curious fact. The dates of these tragic events began in the 1980s and ended in 1991, the years of the Reagan and first Bush administrations. Certainly Saddam Hussein was responsible for murders and tortures until the day he took up residence in his hole. But the mass graves date from the Iran-Iraq War, the first Gulf War, and the Kurdish and Shiite rebellions." - Richard Bareford, Camp Arifjan, Kuwait

Oh, and this thread is a massive fail.

Though I'm sure the OP will selectively ignore anyone who doesn't give him what he wants to hear and chalk up someone who is for intervention as defining the entire "left".

Military engagements authorized by United Nations Security Council Resolutions and funded by CongressIn many instances, the United States has engaged in extended military engagements that were authorized by United Nations Security Council Resolutions and funded by appropriations from Congress.

Military Engagement Opponent(s) Initial Authorization President Conclusion
Korean War North Korea
People's Republic of China
UNSCR 84, 1950 Harry S. Truman Armistice[11] 1953
Druze miltia, Syria
UNSCR 425, 1978
UNSCR 426, 1978
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan
Gulf War,
also known as Operation Desert Storm
Iraq UNSCR 678, 1990 George H. W. Bush UNSCR 689, 1991
Bosnian War
also known as UNPROFOR

Serbia UNSCR 770, 1992
UNSCR 776, 1992 UNSCR 836, 1993
Bill Clinton Reflagged as IFOR in 1995,
Reflagged as SFOR in 1996, Completed in 2004

2001 war in Afghanistan,
also known as Operation Enduring Freedom
Afghanistan
al-Qaeda UNSCR 1368, 2001
UNSCR 1378, 2001
George W. Bush
Barack Obama
Ongoing
Second Liberian Civil War Peacekeeping UNSCR 1497, 2003 George W. Bush US Forces withdraw in 2003 after UNMIL is established
Haiti,
also known as MINUSTAH
UNSCR 1529, 2004
UNSCR 1542, 2004

Now tell me when the SCOTUS determined any of these actions illegal ?

Ok, tell us when the SCOTUS determined Iraq to be illegal?

What a amazing magic trick, all the neocons who were for the War in Iraq are suddenly against it. Anything to score political points against Obama I suppose. :lol:

Though personally, I'm not for the U.S intervening in Libya. If it was a moral issue, then I would of agreed with the War in Iraq as well. My issue here is that we're already in Afghanistan and Iraq. We cannot afford to be in Libya as well. The U.S should not and doesn't need to play world police with every single incident that goes on in the world. I have no problem however with the rest of the U.N members intervening if they so choose.

Awww well if it isn't the guy who is too much of a pussy to answer his PMs. How's it goin?

Druze miltia, Syria
UNSCR 425, 1978
UNSCR 426, 1978
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan

Since we haven't had a declaration of war since WW2 yes, I'll slam any President who has unlawfully engaged in military action be they Democrat or Republican. Can you say the same? Obviously not.

so... Jefferson?

First Barbary War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jefferson violated the Constitution many times as President. That's certainly an example of it.

Forum List

Back