So, is the left denouncing Obama's "unlawful" war in Libya?

it is a UN action. that is what the UN is for

Then why is the U.S. involved? The Constitution states that only the U.S. Congress can make a declaration of war. It does not give authority to the U.N. to drag the U.S. into a war, and the President is clearly violating the Constitution in his actions. Anyone who supports Obama's war in Libya, but not Bush's war in Iraq is a hypocrite.

*"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." - Senator Obama

meh

hypocrisy is inevitable in life, and much more so in the realm of politics (as history clearly shows)

And everyone is opposed to hypocrisy except their own :tongue:

It is our duty as loyal Americans to shut up once the fighting begins.

Once the war in Libya begins we expect every American to support our military and if they can’t do that – to shut up.

yep, because you have to support the war to support the troops, right? Get back to the kids' table please.

It is our duty as loyal Americans to shut up once the fighting begins.

Once the war in Libya begins we expect every American to support our military and if they can’t do that – to shut up.

yep, because you have to support the war to support the troops, right? Get back to the kids' table please.
Go back and tell all the righties that back in 2006

Do you even know whose words I posted?

Letting a dictator kill his people at his insane whim is not going to be good for anyone in the world.

If Gadafi is allowed to bomb his own people until only his cronies are left what do you think that says to the rest of the countries on the brink of revolution for democracy?

You people just hate anything this president does no matter what it is.

This is a UN action and not a declared war.

Couldn't that be said in reference to Sadam Hussein? I mean we all know he killed his own people.

:eusa_eh:

That wasn't a UN action. it was a PNAC action

Declaration of war by the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Multinational Force in Lebanon Shia militia,
Druze miltia, Syria
UNSCR 425, 1978
UNSCR 426, 1978
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan
US forces withdrew in 1984

So are you righties going to slam Reagan for the same thing ?

Since we haven't had a declaration of war since WW2 yes, I'll slam any President who has unlawfully engaged in military action be they Democrat or Republican. Can you say the same? Obviously not.

Heres your problem, we have signed the UN charter and in doing so this type of action is perfectly in line with US laws.

Bush did not get the UN behind him and did not do it legally.

The Constitution states that only the U.S. Congress can make a declaration of war. It does not give authority to the U.N. to drag the U.S. into a war

Didn't congress approve our membership in the UN?

Methinks that puts it on par with treaties

This is the correct answer. Congress voted to join the UN and there in lies your Congressional approval. Still, I dont think we should be meddling in Libya.

Heres your problem, we have signed the UN charter and in doing so this type of action is perfectly in line with US laws.

This has nothing to do with Bush.

Defend the fact that Obama is spending tons of money on weapons, killing innocents and making enemies.

Did the U.N. charter amend the U.S. Constitution to say that the U.N. Security Council shall have the power to make declarations of war on behalf of the United States government? No? Then the U.N. is irrelevant to the process of declaring war. It's only legal if the U.S. Congress, that means the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate, both pass a declaration of war. That hasn't happened so Obama's war is illegal.

The Constitution states that only the U.S. Congress can make a declaration of war. It does not give authority to the U.N. to drag the U.S. into a war

This is the correct answer. Congress voted to join the UN and there in lies your Congressional approval. Still, I dont think we should be meddling in Libya.
That's fine. My point was only that the action is as lawful as military actions can be.

The U.N. charter does not replace our Constitution.

According to the US Constitution, it is not.

you are doing nothing but spouting right wing talking points and not law

These aren't polarized talking points. It is against the US Constitution. Now, had Libya, Bosnia, Iraq, fired upon us we'd have a different story to tell.

Forum List

Back