Smoking

It's one of the nastiest smells that I know. Aside from all that is known of how harmful it is, I've never been able to understand why anyone would choose to intentionally inhale something that smells so foul.

As a young man I could never date a smoker.

Two things that I don't think most smokers get…
  • How nasty it smelsl to most non-smokers.
  • How relentlessly the stench sticks to everything that it ever touches.

I was always embarrassed at how how I smelled because my parents smoked :(

I was always embarrassed at how how I smelled because my parents smoked :(

I spent three days, earlier this year, working at what turned out to be a marijuana farm. The agency that sent me there had no idea what it was until I told them. It had a name that suggested some legitimate, reputable scientific company. Natura Life Science. When I first arrived at the site, and rolled down my window, to speak to the guards to get them to let me in, I was immediately hit by the horrid stench. Initially, I assumed that the guards had been smoking that shit on the job, and that I should probably let my supervisor know, once I met my supervisor. I have always understood, regardless of what one thinks about the abuse of harmful drugs on one's own time, that it is never acceptable to use, or be under the influence of such drugs, when you are on the job.

It didn't take me long to find out what this site really was, and that the horrid stench permeates the entire site. And even worse, apparently, workers are allowed and possibly even encouraged to use the products, while on the job. There was even a table set up as a “weed bar” at lunch breaks, where workers could buy the company's products for immediate use.

After three days on that site, the stench stuck to me, to my clothes to my car, to my tools, to everything that I had with me there, for several days afterward. It was in my lungs, and I couldn't help feeling that it was in my very blood. I did have my wife get a do-it-yourself drug test kit for marijuana, after my last day at that job, with which I tested negative. I'm not convinced that I didn't have enough of that shit in me to adversely affect me, but at least I didn't have enough to fail a home drug test.

I didn't want to be around anyone else for a while, after that, because I was ashamed of the possibility that anyone might smell that shit on me, and assume that I wsas a druggie.

Nicotine is addictive. I smoked for 22 years and have been quit longer than than that. Best thing I ever did for myself was quit smoking.
Same here. A little weed occasionally but tobacco free since 2009. No alcohol since

I figure it's added at least 10 or 20 years to my life and saved me a pretty substantial chunk of dough for cars, guitars and trips afar.

For anyone trying to quit ,unsuccessfully so far perhaps, the gum worked for me 14 years ago.

I'd say generally the first week is the hardest and after that it's mostly in your mind.... you just have to figure out how to reprogram your thinking, change some other habits maybe..... get off the gum asap - for me it was 6 weeks. Quit drinking alcohol for 6 months ( and later in 2017 completely)

They say that for a lot of people sugar and caffeine are actually harder to quit than tobacco.

They say that for a lot of people sugar and caffeine are actually harder to quit than tobacco.

Sugar, certainly.

It is rather hard to quit sugar, because we need it to live. It is the fuel on which our bodies run, and without it, we'd die. I'm diabetic, so sugar is something that can be troublesome for me, but like everyone else, I need it to live.

Caffeine, perhaps so. I have become rather solidly addicted to it. It, of course, started by using it for an occasional boost, and got to where I cannot function on a regular schedule without it.

When I broke my leg, I too the opportunity to try to free myself of it. Since it was going to be a long time before I was able to work again, before I would need to function on any kind of regular schedule, I swore off caffeine for the time being. When I was sleepy, I slept, and when I was wakeful, I was up. I just let my body run on whatever erratic sleep/wake schedule it wanted to, and eschewed the use of caffeine or any other drugs to try to regulate it in any way.

But when I was recovered enough to work again, and I needed once, again to function on a reasonable schedule, I found that I needed caffeine just as much to do so, as before.

I'd rather smell stinky smoke- then these chicks who have perfume all over things. I buy things on line- like fabric- and you cant even wash it out... gag me?

zaargh.gif
the bounce crowd? hoot

Sugar, certainly.

It is rather hard to quit sugar, because we need it to live. It is the fuel on which our bodies run, and without it, we'd die. I'm diabetic, so sugar is something that can be troublesome for me, but like everyone else, I need it to live.

Caffeine, perhaps so. I have become rather solidly addicted to it. It, of course, started by using it for an occasional boost, and got to where I cannot function on a regular schedule without it.

When I broke my leg, I too the opportunity to try to free myself of it. Since it was going to be a long time before I was able to work again, before I would need to function on any kind of regular schedule, I swore off caffeine for the time being. When I was sleepy, I slept, and when I was wakeful, I was up. I just let my body run on whatever erratic sleep/wake schedule it wanted to, and eschewed the use of caffeine or any other drugs to try to regulate it in any way.

But when I was recovered enough to work again, and I needed once, again to function on a reasonable schedule, I found that I needed caffeine just as much to do so, as before.
Sugar is a broad category. Our bodies need glucose for sure but not added, refined sugar. Much of our obesity and health problems are from consuming too much refined added sugar.

I just don't get it, why do folks do it? It stinks, it's harmful. Why?
I have smoked cigarettes, cigars, and marijuana. I don't see anything wrong with it, it is a personal choice. I found cigarettes and cigars help relax me and helps with my ADHD. I find marijuana therapeutic and helps me with bipolar, depressed, and having anxiety disorders.

I just don't get it, why do folks do it? It stinks, it's harmful. Why?
People smoke because they tried it, learned to enjoy it and became addicted to both the nicotine and the process/ritual of smoking. Most people who use tobacco regularly do become addicted as do those using most other recreational drugs. That compares to 5 to10 percent of those who consume alcohol fairly regularly who become addicts (alcoholic) which is roughly the same percentage of those using marijuana regularly who become dependent on it. (Teens who begin drinking or using marijuana heavily have a higher percentage of addiction.)

It takes a great deal of courage and determination for the addict to be able to get clean and 'sober' from any addiction as the body demands it or they do not feel normal or comfortable without it. But those who can find that courage and motivation to break free and stay free are ever grateful that they did.

Forum List

Back