Smoking

People smoke because they tried it, learned to enjoy it and became addicted to both the nicotine and the process/ritual of smoking. Most people who use tobacco regularly do become addicted as do those using most other recreational drugs. That compares to 5 to10 percent of those who consume alcohol fairly regularly who become addicts (alcoholic) which is roughly the same percentage of those using marijuana regularly who become dependent on it. (Teens who begin drinking or using marijuana heavily have a higher percentage of addiction.)

It takes a great deal of courage and determination for the addict to be able to get clean and 'sober' from any addiction as the body demands it or they do not feel normal or comfortable without it. But those who can find that courage and motivation to break free and stay free are ever grateful that they did
I agree. Weed is interesting in that it is apparently not "physically" addictive in the way nicotine is. But the psychological dependency can be just as strong.

Nicotine is wildly addictive. I dipped Copenhagen for 30 years. Quit 7 years ago. Not a day goes by that I don’t have to decide to not go back. That decision has gotten easier and easier but I still have to make it.
I hear that dip is even more difficult to give up than cigarettes. Good for you that you did it.

Nicotine is wildly addictive. I dipped Copenhagen for 30 years. Quit 7 years ago. Not a day goes by that I don’t have to decide to not go back. That decision has gotten easier and easier but I still have to make it.
I smoked cigarettes while attending college but had no problem quitting that nasty habit.

I agree. Weed is interesting in that it is apparently not "physically" addictive in the way nicotine is. But the psychological dependency can be just as strong.
Marijuana can be just as addictive as nicotine but far fewer people are susceptible to marijuana addiction while most people are susceptible to nicotine addiction. The National Institute on Drug Abuse, after exhaustive studies, has recently concluded that as many as 30% of those who use marijuana fairly regularly will have some degree of marijuana use disorder which may or may not include technical addiction.

A very large percentage nearing 100% of those who use tobacco regularly will become addicted to the nicotine and the process of smoking.

There is some degree of psychological affect of tobacco and it can be devastating to the body, but it will not generally cause any impairment in cognitive reasoning or ability to do things. There is no known long range psychological/mental effect as can occur with other drugs.

With marijuana abuse, the damage to the body will likely take longer and may be more subtle--scarring of the lungs and a higher incidence of testicular cancer aren't so subtle but do occur among heavy users--but mental/physical impairment is generally evident and long range psychiatric/mental damage can be significant most especially in kids. Adults are not immune however.

To not be dependent and/or addicted to any substance is a very good thing and a worthy goal.

Good observation and witness. Those who dip and chaw think they are escaping the worst uglies of tobacco addiction but the damage there is real and significant as well not to mention cancers in some very unpleasant places. Hubby gave up cigarettes but substituted Red Man for years until his doctor noting cellular changes in his mouth and warned him of prognosis for some terrible consequences. That was decades ago and he says his mouth still waters when he thinks about that particular product.

I smoked for over 25 years. Then I switched to vaping. And then the democrats made vaping illegal in my state, because they were losing too much money from former smokers so they made vaping illegal under some bullshit that its bad for you.

I still vape. I actually enjoy vaping. It tastes good (Like a creamsicle) and I get my fix, whats not to like? Oh and my lung capacity has returned to normal.

Nicotine is a performance enhancing drug, cigarettes just happen to be filled with chemicals designed to suck more money out of you in the form of medical bills. It was the tobacco industries nod to the medical industry.

I smoked for over 25 years. Then I switched to vaping. And then the democrats made vaping illegal in my state, because they were losing too much money from former smokers so they made vaping illegal under some bullshit that its bad for you.

I still vape. I actually enjoy vaping. It tastes good (Like a creamsicle) and I get my fix, whats not to like? Oh and my lung capacity has returned to normal.

Nicotine is a performance enhancing drug, cigarettes just happen to be filled with chemicals designed to suck more money out of you in the form of medical bills. It was the tobacco industries nod to the medical industry.
The likely horrible health effects? Nicotine isnt good for you on it's face, but God only knows what inhaling all the chemicals they used in the "juice" is doing to your lungs. At least with smoking you know the risks going in.

The likely horrible health effects? Nicotine isnt good for you on it's face, but God only knows what inhaling all the chemicals they used in the "juice" is doing to your lungs. At least with smoking you know the risks going in.
usp vegetable glycerin, usp propylene glycol, and half a drop of nicotine.

I never claimed vaping to be safe, but it absolutely is safer than cigarettes. Only in America is vaping worse for you than cigarettes lol.

There is also this, from 2019.. Allow vaping in hospitals to help patients quit, say health experts

Health experts recommend allowing vape shops inside hosptials in an effort to help people quite smoking!

The only good thing that comes from smoking cigarettes is the govt gets to collect $10 in taxes per pack

Govt demonizes anything that threatens 'its profits'. The vaping industry does that, and because they were getting enough traction in the population, they tried the child angle - children are vaping cause of the fruity flavors' The adults today, were born in the 70's, 80's and 90's. We LIKE our sweets and are not afraid to admit it. Who the hell wants to vape an ash try? But thats the logic of our govt, that as an adult, we have no taste buds. Which is why to try to get people to stop vaping and go back to LUCRATIVE cigarettes, they said children were vaping due to flavors.. lol please. I dont know many under the age of 25, that can comfortably take up a $150-$200/mo habit

And smoking isnt 'cool' anymore and neither is vaping. And for kids, its all about being cool and being socially accepted.

The 'vape scare' where people, were having their lungs irrepairably burned from vaping? Ya, they tried cutting THC, with vitamin E acetate, and then inhaling the concoction. The problem? Vitamin E acetate is nail polish remover. Fail.

But of course the MSM glossed over that aspect of story, in an effort to bash vaping.

I will say that if your not addicted to nicotine, dont start.

I quit smoking over 40 years ago but, I remember that the first few puffs were the best. I was smoking 3 packs a day.

I liked smoking. I quit for health reasons, same reasons I gave up caffeine and sugar, high blood pressure. I still like the smell, particularly some cigars. The vaping thing made it easy for me to quit. Gave that up too, after a few months. I've tried most drugs, didn't like them much, except LSD, but I never had much free time to lay around tripping or getting buzzed, and never liked booze at all.

Forum List

Back