Significance of members avatars?

Mine is an original. I totally love it. It's dark and sinister, like me. And patriotic, like me. And sort of sexy.... meh.

Mine is an original. I totally love it. It's dark and sinister, like me. And patriotic, like me. And sort of sexy.... meh.

I agree. Mine represents the name I was given after a huge downsizing at my company in '09. They called me Van Helsing. Yikes. Although I was NOT an HR exec, I unfortunately was tasked with 210 layoffs. Not fun!!!

I ran across mine and it looked like a scene in how I envision the USMB Coffee Shop so I snagged it as an avatar. Turns out it is a painting that has a companion painting that Samson is using for his avatar--no, we don't know each other anywhere but here on USMB--and he caught it. He owns prints of both paintings so he recognized it right away.

Last edited:
Of course I'm a Marilyn Monroe fan but I usually don't keep her pics for too long. People have been commenting on this everyday so I thought I'd let it be for awhile longer.

I made my avatar. It is a huge quilt, photographed, and reduced to under an inch. It was made for a wounded warrior during the conflict in Afghanistan / Iraq. They sent the wounded soldier who eventually received it home to Colorado, where he told his mother who'd just picked him up at the airport, "Gee, mom. I don't know why they sent me home when my buddies need me so much back there..." she heard a thump behind her, he'd fainted. She took him directly to the hospital. That's as much as I heard about it.

While I was making it, I wondered if it would go to a married soldier, so I kept making the design (always do that on paper first) so it would fit at least a queen-sized bed) bigger until it was right. Each stripe is about 6" wide, and the stars are each about 4" high. I was mathed out after figuring it. To get a proportional flag, you'd have to make it about 2' longer than you need for a king sized bed, so I shortened it to be a good size. Most of the quilts we made over about a 5-year period were purple heart quilts.

The avatar means something to me. Every time I made a wounded soldier quilt, I would pray often for all our dear troops, think who might get the quilt, and how I might make it good enough for one of them, knowing that nothing would be good enough, not ever, for the gift every veteran has given from the time he signs his pledge to support the Constitution until he takes his last breath in life.

They take a lot of crap in bootcamp, and if they make it through there, they have to do what somebody else wants them to do 24/7 for the duration of their tour. What a blessing every man and woman who has served has bestowed on this land.

That's why I can't change my avatar. Thinking about the good country we have thanks to their fighting it out since Valley Forge and through to the future, we couldn't have freedom if it hadn't been for each and every one of them, and their gift is what kept me going for 5 years while I completed about 36 full-sized quilts. We started out making "wheelchair quilts" but when I thought of how cold it was there in Wyoming, and how tall some of them were and would need plenty of wrapping when they got home, the quilts got to be big enough so someone 6'6" would keep warm. Where I lived when I was quilting all that, the guys in the wheelchair could easily double them for twice the warmth they might need in a Wyoming winter, where it can quickly drop to 40 below.

Making the quilts for them was endless joy in my heart. Somehow, I got all that quilting done with my Noltings Longarm quilter. It was as joyful as the job before of cutting and piecing the couple of thousand rectangles together for the stripes. Here's a larger version

spacer.gif
StarsandStripsFlag-2.jpg

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

I made my avatar. It is a huge quilt, photographed, and reduced to under an inch. It was made for a wounded warrior during the conflict in Afghanistan / Iraq. They sent the wounded soldier who eventually received it home to Colorado, where he told his mother who'd just picked him up at the airport, "Gee, mom. I don't know why they sent me home when my buddies need me so much back there..." she heard a thump behind her, he'd fainted. She took him directly to the hospital. That's as much as I heard about it.

While I was making it, I wondered if it would go to a married soldier, so I kept making the design (always do that on paper first) so it would fit at least a queen-sized bed) bigger until it was right. Each stripe is about 6" wide, and the stars are each about 4" high. I was mathed out after figuring it. To get a proportional flag, you'd have to make it about 2' longer than you need for a king sized bed, so I shortened it to be a good size. Most of the quilts we made over about a 5-year period were purple heart quilts.

The avatar means something to me. Every time I made a wounded soldier quilt, I would pray often for all our dear troops, think who might get the quilt, and how I might make it good enough for one of them, knowing that nothing would be good enough, not ever, for the gift every veteran has given from the time he signs his pledge to support the Constitution until he takes his last breath in life.

They take a lot of crap in bootcamp, and if they make it through there, they have to do what somebody else wants them to do 24/7 for the duration of their tour. What a blessing every man and woman who has served has bestowed on this land.

That's why I can't change my avatar. Thinking about the good country we have thanks to their fighting it out since Valley Forge and through to the future, we couldn't have freedom if it hadn't been for each and every one of them, and their gift is what kept me going for 5 years while I completed about 36 full-sized quilts. We started out making "wheelchair quilts" but when I thought of how cold it was there in Wyoming, and how tall some of them were and would need plenty of wrapping when they got home, the quilts got to be big enough so someone 6'6" would keep warm. Where I lived when I was quilting all that, the guys in the wheelchair could easily double them for twice the warmth they might need in a Wyoming winter, where it can quickly drop to 40 below.

Making the quilts for them was endless joy in my heart. Somehow, I got all that quilting done with my Noltings Longarm quilter. It was as joyful as the job before of cutting and piecing the couple of thousand rectangles together for the stripes. Here's a larger version

spacer.gif
StarsandStripsFlag-2.jpg

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Beautiful. God bless!!!

HMS Warspite- google it- Most glorious Battleship- Should have beenmade a museum- stupid!- on way to be scrapped, broke tow rope and washed up near St. Michaels Mount, Cornwall, where we vacation when I was 2- my father rowed around it- near our Hotel...It had MANY amazing adventures...

"The Wild Ride":

[edit] Jutland (1916)
In 1916, Warspite and the 5th Battle Squadron temporarily augmented Vice-Admiral David Beatty's Battlecruiser Force. Between 31 May and 1 June 1916, Warspite fought with the squadron in the Battle of Jutland - the largest encounter between Britain and Germany during the war. Warspite sustained fifteen hits, incurring such considerable damage that she almost foundered. Her steering jammed while attempting to avoid her sister-ship Valiant. Warspite’s captain decided to maintain course, in effect circling, rather than come to a halt and reverse. This decision exposed Warspite. [5] The manoeuvres made Warspite a tempting target and inadvertently diverted attention from the badly-damaged cruiser, Warrior. This gained her the admiration of Warrior's crew, who believed Warspite's movement had been intentional. [6]

The crew regained control of Warspite after two full circles. Their efforts to end the circular motion had the consequence of placing her on a course towards the German fleet. The rangefinders and the transmission station were non-functional and only "A" turret could fire, albeit under local control with 12 salvos falling short of their target. Sub Lieutenant Herbert Annesley Packer was promoted and mentioned in dispatches for his command of "A" turret. Due to her condition, Warspite was ordered to halt and make necessary repairs. Warspite would be plagued with steering irregularities for the rest of her service life.

Belushi was not a conservative, but he was funny.

Sen. Blutarsky really has nothing to do with my life or beliefs beyond my enjoyment of the occasional absurd comedy like Animal House.

I'm going to rewrite that- It did 2-3 circles right in front of thw whole German Fleet whule everyone else was getting the hell out!! They should make a movie- later...

HMS Warspite- google it- Most glorious Battleship- Should have beenmade a museum- stupid!- on way to be scrapped, broke tow rope and washed up near St. Michaels Mount, Cornwall, where we vacation when I was 2- my father rowed around it- near our Hotel...It had MANY amazing adventures...

"The Wild Ride":

[edit] Jutland (1916)
In 1916, Warspite and the 5th Battle Squadron temporarily augmented Vice-Admiral David Beatty's Battlecruiser Force. Between 31 May and 1 June 1916, Warspite fought with the squadron in the Battle of Jutland - the largest encounter between Britain and Germany during the war. Warspite sustained fifteen hits, incurring such considerable damage that she almost foundered. Her steering jammed while attempting to avoid her sister-ship Valiant. Warspite’s captain decided to maintain course, in effect circling, rather than come to a halt and reverse. This decision exposed Warspite. [5] The manoeuvres made Warspite a tempting target and inadvertently diverted attention from the badly-damaged cruiser, Warrior. This gained her the admiration of Warrior's crew, who believed Warspite's movement had been intentional. [6]

The crew regained control of Warspite after two full circles. Their efforts to end the circular motion had the consequence of placing her on a course towards the German fleet. The rangefinders and the transmission station were non-functional and only "A" turret could fire, albeit under local control with 12 salvos falling short of their target. Sub Lieutenant Herbert Annesley Packer was promoted and mentioned in dispatches for his command of "A" turret. Due to her condition, Warspite was ordered to halt and make necessary repairs. Warspite would be plagued with steering irregularities for the rest of her service life.

Interesting.
I was a battleship Sailor (BB 61) and I never knew this.
What a sight it must have been. It's as if she refused to die.

I took mine from the cover of one of the games in the series i took my SN from.

I figured this was probably alittle more conducive to friendliness than a demon coming out of a pentagram from one of the other games.

1940 movie 'His Girl Friday' with Rosalind Russell & Cary Grant. Her role as Hildy was empowering and intelligent. The two of them together are witty and brash.

Hildy Johnson: A big fat lummox like you hiring an airplane to write: "Hildy, don't be hasty. Remember my dimple. Walter." Delayed our divorce 20 minutes while the judge went out and watched it.

Belushi was not a conservative, but he was funny.

Sen. Blutarsky really has nothing to do with my life or beliefs beyond my enjoyment of the occasional absurd comedy like Animal House.

I saw a guy at a recent Flyers game with a custom jersey...

BLUTARSKY, with the player number being 0.0

I almost shit myself laughing.

Mine is from when Nixon was on Laugh In, and they got him to say the catch-phrase 'Sock it to me', but he said it like a question instead of a statement...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFEhmF-cSi8]Nixon on Laugh in - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back