You heard me talk about Maine wanting to take your guns away, right? Joe Biden is going all in on gun confiscation. I told ya so.

You have an odd sense of priorities

You are outraged at locking up someone’s guns but are willing to incarcerate the person

Guns have never killed a single person. Murder is always committed by a person, sometimes with a gun but never committed by a gun. The dangerously mental ill will find another source for a gun if you take those guns found in their home. Or they will use a knife or a hammer or fire, or even their bare hands. A mentally ill person in a straight jacket in a padded room can not hurt anyone.

They are less a threat with other weapons to the count of 40,000 gun deaths a year

Most of those, well over half, are suicides. They would take a pill, or drive their car into an oncoming semi-truck, possibly taking that driver with them or certainly scarring the truck driver for life.

People killing their spouse, or other cases where the victim is known to the murderer, they will find another weapon because they always have a reason they believe is justified for the murder.

What's left is gang-on-gang killing or murder as part of another crime. Those killers don't follow the law and their families aren't turning them in for red-flags.

But you know all these facts; they've been told to you time and time again by virtually every knowledgeable 2nd Amendment supporter on the site. You just like hearing it over and over.

You are getting overly dramatic in your hypotheticals

Some anonymous tip will not trigger a red flag. You will have to put your name on it and be willing to testify

How many people have been swatted on an anonymous phone tip? If they can be swatted, do you think that the police, who are permitted reporters in every red-flag state, would not report based on an anonymous tip?

Giffords claim that in 762 cases, of red-flagging people, 100 firearms suicides were prevented. Of course they may or may not have intended to kill themselves. And they may or may not have gone on to use other means to commit suicide. Pro-red-flag groups like to report the reduction in firearms suicides but they don't report reductions in suicides. Japan, who has virtually no arms in private hands, has a higher suicide rate than the US. Reducing firearm suicides, or firearm murders, or firearm crimes does not, in any of those, necessarily reduce the total instances; it simply changes the tool just like I might use a Crescent wrench if I don't have a combination wrench in the size I need. I get a different tool if I'm determined, committed, to getting the job done.

It is not always the mentally ill but those with violent tempers or grudges that are dangerous

Violent anger is mental illness. Carrying a grudge to violent response is mental illness. Anyone suspected of being a threat to themselves or others can be held for long enough to get a mental health evaluation. Then, with varying degrees of evaluation they can be held for various longer times.

Guns have never killed a single person. Murder is always committed by a person, sometimes with a gun but never committed by a gun. The dangerously mental ill will find another source for a gun if you take those guns found in their home. Or they will use a knife or a hammer or fire, or even their bare hands. A mentally ill person in a straight jacket in a padded room can not hurt anyone.
I am tired of treating mentally ill people as if they can be corrected. If they cant be corrected give them the Rabid Animal treatment.

When the defendant, or the object of the seizure has no part in the process and can't defend himself, it's NOT due process.
It doesn't matter if they change the law to include the gun owner. That doesn't prevent any violence. If the gun owner is dangerous and on the streets, he will get a gun. He will buy one on the street, kill someone, including parents, to get guns, steal a gun. Taking the gun of a determined killer, even a self-killer, does nothing. Locking them in a padded room always stops the threat.

It doesn't matter if they change the law to include the gun owner. That doesn't prevent any violence. If the gun owner is dangerous and on the streets, he will get a gun. He will buy one on the street, kill someone, including parents, to get guns, steal a gun. Taking the gun of a determined killer, even a self-killer, does nothing. Locking them in a padded room always stops the threat.
No, eliminating the mentally ill person is the only way for sure to keep someone from being a repeat offender.

Forum List

Back