Zone1 Prophetic Significance Of The Scapegoat

crossbody

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2024
What is the prophetic significance of the scapegoat's connection to Jesus Christ?

A scapegoat in the Bible is “the goat that goes away” (escape + goat). In essence, a scapegoat in the Bible is one who makes atonement for another (or redeems them). In the context of Leviticus 16:8-22

crossbody

Azazel, in Jewish legends, a demon or evil spirit to whom, in the ancient rite of Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement), a scapegoat was sent bearing the sins of the Jewish people. Two male goats were chosen for the ritual, one designated by lots “for the Lord,” the other “for Azazel” (Leviticus 16:8).

Encyclopedia Britannica › topic
Azazel | Definition & Facts - Britannica

Trump may be Azazel in metaphor.
Actually you are right, in some way Trump does represent Azazel as one on a mission to remove sin from the world.

Azael has to do with the complete removal of sin. President Trump ran for office saying his mission was to "drain the swamp" or as we know it... to remove a particular sin from the world, and Trump did just that. He may represent Azazel as far as that mission goes, but he is the replaying of Jehu in the prophetic template.

Moses 5:6-8
6 And after many days an angel of the Lord appeared unto Adam, saying: Why dost thou offer sacrifices unto the Lord? And Adam said unto him: I know not, save the Lord commanded me.
7 And then the angel spake, saying: This thing is a similitude of the sacrifice of the Only Begotten of the Father, which is full of grace and truth.
8 Wherefore, thou shalt do all that thou doest in the name of the Son, and thou shalt repent and call upon God in the name of the Son forevermore.

From the beginning the sacrifices and scapegoat practices were a similitude of sacrifice of the Only Begotten Son of God.

Moses 5:6-8
6 And after many days an angel of the Lord appeared unto Adam, saying: Why dost thou offer sacrifices unto the Lord? And Adam said unto him: I know not, save the Lord commanded me.
7 And then the angel spake, saying: This thing is a similitude of the sacrifice of the Only Begotten of the Father, which is full of grace and truth.
8 Wherefore, thou shalt do all that thou doest in the name of the Son, and thou shalt repent and call upon God in the name of the Son forevermore.

From the beginning the sacrifices and scapegoat practices were a similitude of sacrifice of the Only Begotten Son of God.
ok, that's good.

Actually you are right, in some way Trump does represent Azazel as one on a mission to remove sin from the world.

Azael has to do with the complete removal of sin. President Trump ran for office saying his mission was to "drain the swamp" or as we know it... to remove a particular sin from the world, and Trump did just that. He may represent Azazel as far as that mission goes, but he is the replaying of Jehu in the prophetic template.
You don't even know your religious motifs. Shame on you, false christian.

Fallen angel
  • According to 2 sources

In the book of Enoch, Azazel is a fallen angel. He is a leader of other fallen angels and responsible for evil in the world. He has led so much destruction that the book encourages Jewish readers to ascribe all sin to him.

Who Is Azazel, the Fallen An…

biblestudytools.com
During the late Second Temple period (after the closure of the Hebrew Bible canon), Azazel came to be viewed as a fallen angel responsible for introducing humans to forbidden knowledge, as described in the Book of Enoch. His role as a fallen angel...

Azazel - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org

There's an odd thing in the Bible that bears on this, but seems to be completely glossed over by Christians because they don't understand Judaism. I won't bother citing passages because I think most Christians are familiar with them. Jesus is often called the Lamb Who Takes Away The Sins Of The World because he was crucified on Passover. Of course in the original Passover story Jews put a lamb's blood on their doors so that the angel of death would know which houses to pass over while killing the first born of every household.

And that's a problem. The Passover sacrifice has nothing to do with taking away sins. It has to do with protection from death. The taking away of sins was the province of the Yom Kippur scapegoat. In the actual ritual townsfolk would beat the goat and transfer their sins to it. The goat would be forced from the town and driven to its death over a cliff. However, if Jesus is really supposed to be the Goat Who Takes Away The Sins Of The World, the story still doesn't work. Jesus wasn't beaten and then driven over a cliff after being expelled from the community.

There is, however, the curious story of the two Jesuses. Pontius Pilate famously told the crowd of Jews that according to their traditions one prisoner could be set free. So he gave them a choice of freeing Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus Barabbas. They chose to free Jesus Barabbas. Unfortunately, neither the Jews nor the Romans had a tradition of freeing a prisoner. So what do we make of this story? Well it turns out that the Yom Kippur ritual involved two goats. One goat was the scapegoat (goat for Azazel) and the other was the goat for YHWH. Two goats, two Jesuses. One Jesus is set free and the other is sacrificed. Well we never find out what happens to Jesus Barabbas after he's freed, but I'll draw attention to the fact that Barabbas literally means son of the father. Jesus, of course, was Son of the Father.

Or maybe we do know what happens to Jesus Barabbas. There's an earlier story where Jesus flees to the wilderness where he is tempted by Satan. Could it be that this Jesus is actually Jesus, Son of the Father aka Barabbas?

This tempting by Satan scene may be related to the Transfiguration of Jesus. Both take place on a mountain. Elsewhere in the Gospels Peter says something causing Jesus to declare him to be Satan. So in both cases we have Satan/Peter. Satan tempts Jesus to leap from the mountain so God will save him thus showing that Jesus is the Son of the Father. In the Transfiguration scene Jesus is shown to be the Son of the Father.

I would suggest that there are two different Jesuses who were conflated into one because they had the same name.

Last edited:
Not at all. You should investigate Christianity, Leroy: it would do your soul great good.
I used to be a Christian. After a several year deep dive into it I became an atheist. So I guess you could say that the investigation did do my soul great good. I freed myself from that toxic religion.

There's an odd thing in the Bible that bears on this, but seems to be completely glossed over by Christians because they don't understand Judaism. I won't bother citing passages because I think most Christians are familiar with them. Jesus is often called the Lamb Who Takes Away The Sins Of The World because he was crucified on Passover. Of course in the original Passover story Jews put a lamb's blood on their doors so that the angel of death would know which houses to pass over while killing the first born of every household.

And that's a problem. The Passover sacrifice has nothing to do with taking away sins. It has to do with protection from death. The taking away of sins was the province of the Yom Kippur scapegoat. In the actual ritual townsfolk would beat the goat and transfer their sins to it. The goat would be forced from the town and driven to its death over a cliff. However, if Jesus is really supposed to be the Goat Who Takes Away The Sins Of The World, the story still doesn't work. Jesus wasn't beaten and then driven over a cliff after being expelled from the community.

There is, however, the curious story of the two Jesuses. Pontius Pilate famously told the crowd of Jews that according to their traditions one prisoner could be set free. So he gave them a choice of freeing Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus Barabbas. They chose to free Jesus Barabbas. Unfortunately, neither the Jews nor the Romans had a tradition of freeing a prisoner. So what do we make of this story? Well it turns out that the Yom Kippur ritual involved two goats. One goat was the scapegoat (goat for Azazel) and the other was the goat for YHWH. Two goats, two Jesuses. One Jesus is set free and the other is sacrificed. Well we never find out what happens to Jesus Barabbas after he's freed, but I'll draw attention to the fact that Barabbas literally means son of the father. Jesus, of course, was Son of the Father.

Or maybe we do know what happens to Jesus Barabbas. There's an earlier story where Jesus flees to the wilderness where he is tempted by Satan. Could it be that this Jesus is actually Jesus, Son of the Father aka Barabbas?

This tempting by Satan scene may be related to the Transfiguration of Jesus. Both take place on a mountain. Elsewhere in the Gospels Peter says something causing Jesus to declare him to be Satan. So in both cases we have Satan/Peter. Satan tempts Jesus to leap from the mountain so God will save him thus showing that Jesus is the Son of the Father. In the Transfiguration scene Jesus is shown to be the Son of the Father.

I would suggest that there are two different Jesuses who were conflated into one because they had the same name.
The only post on the subject that has come close. An understanding of Lev. 16 is vital to any true understanding of the significance of the scapegoat. I have attended Sunday school in many different churches for many years and none have ever tried to show the relationship and significance of the day of atonement to New Testament doctrine. I believe that this is the reason away that the church has fallen away. Without understanding the church has lost its sense of purpose.

Forum List

Back