Should we blacks celebrate 4th of July? Not this escaped slave!

I don't celebrate any holidays. I don't celebrate the 4th because it wasn't our (blacks) independence. I'm black first, American second.

Sure it does.

While it may have been a rocky start..black people have done very well in this country.

In fact..one is now leading it.

American Exceptionalism.

Now celebrate.:lol:

I ask the question again since people can't get it right, should black people celebrate the 4th of July when it didn't apply to our ancestors? Why should we celebrate it when the 4th of July had nothing to do with American "Exceptionalism?" The holiday isn't relevant to us, it wasn't fought for the freedom of my ancestors.

Sure it is.

Americans fought and died to end slavery. After the war..Black people weren't kicked out..quite the opposite. They were given all the rights anyone else had..and during the 1950/60s more Americans fought to make sure that the idiots denying black people their rights understood that.

Now we have a black man in the white house.

You wanna be angry over the history, it's your right to do so.

But America has bled American blood to right the wrongs done to black people.

Does America want a cookie for doing what they were supposed to do?

I don't celebrate any holidays. I don't celebrate the 4th because it wasn't our (blacks) independence. I'm black first, American second.

Which is basically what I've been saying, but somehow retards are trying to convince otherwise without showing any evidence. The argument now is that without 1776 the emancipation of slaves almost 90 years later wouldn't have been possible which is dumb considering that could have been done in 1776.

The Civil War was not fought to end slavery, stop repeating that off told lie that white liberals like telling. Second, it sounds might lame to say that the 4th of July is relevant to blacks and make a connection to the later Civil War when freeing the slaves could have been during the war of independence, which was not fought for the slaves since they weren't considered as Americans. The Civil war and War of Independence have jack to do with each other and the former is irrelevant to blacks, Frederick Douglass had it right.

Nonsense.

The outcome was..slavery was abolished. Simple as that.

Listen you may not like alot of things that happened in the past..but don't start making crap up.

Repeat, the Civil War was *NOT* fought to end slavery, it was fought to preserve the Union for economic reasons, at least during the War of Independence the British offered emancipation for those slaves that did fight for the British, no such offer was made to slaves to fight for the 13 colonies.

that is true only if you ignore the slavery in the larger sense, in that the 'economic' issue was heavily exacerbated by slavery, the inst. of which did return economic 'gains' to the southern or slave states and in that context and this is a big one, the 'rights' pushed for by slave holders in slave states to propagate slavery into new territories in the (hence new states).

The issue of the decade ( 1850’s) was manifest destiny and the part slavery would or not play in it.

That brought the issue to a boiling point. The gov. was determined to stop any spread of slavery in the union and the end of compromise, ( ever heard the term ‘bleeding Kansas’ or the Missouri compromise) led to the civil war.

Last edited:

Well I do celebrate it. And I am a human first..and an American second.

This country's positives far out weigh it's negatives.

Congratulations on being elected to speak on behalf of black people. Was that a recent election?

If the 4th of July 1776 was our (black) independence what was going between 1776 and 1865, not to mention the Jim Crow era?

then pack your shit and head over to Monrovia and I don't mean Monrovia California, I mean Monrovia Liberia. You want the mules and land, we'll take up a collection.

then pack your shit and head over to Monrovia and I don't mean Monrovia California, I mean Monrovia Liberia. You want the mules and land, we'll take up a collection.

They want to blame there crappy lives on whites.

What relevance does 1776 hold for blacks? Zero, the country in 1776 was nothing like it is today, when you name the positives that the 4th of July 1776 had for blacks then we can discuss, but just know not all people celebrate holidays for the hell of it or because of traditions and lies passed down from generation to generation.

Good for you. I don't celebrate it and I never said America's negatives out weighted it's positives. July 4th 1776 wasn't independence day for blacks in America, so why would a black person celebrate it. Two of my best friends are Apache and Navajo, respectively. Both are former Marines and both don't celebrate the 4th, are they wrong?

You can hold onto the hate for past wrongs all you want to, it will avail you nothing but wasted time and energy. You can look at the current situation and bitch about it all you want, but again it will avail you nothing. Or so you set about doing something constructive about it. Slavery is long gone and dead, why don't you remove the chains?

Hates for past wrongs? What would you expect blacks to do in a country where Presidents can't even bring themselves to apologize for slavery ala Bill Clinton? This thread isn't about slavery moron, I asked the question as to whether blacks should celebrate the Fourth of July since the holiday wasn't about the freedom of all Americans because my ancestors never mattered when it was created? I don't give a damn about your guilt complex, it isn't my job to placate your conscious.

Sure looks like it's all about slavery to me bub. What so I expect blacks to do? Stop pissing and moaning about the way things were and start working on ways to improve the way things are now and the way thinga should be for your children. News flash bub, the poor me victimization routine ain't workin' for you. And BTW, I sure as hell don't have a guilt complex where blacks are concerned. If you as a person or as a group don't have the guts or the determination to change yourself, then it's all on you. I feel bad for you though, cuz you're leaving a deeper hole for your kids to climb out of. Congratulations, they'll be dealing with the same hatred, anger, and resentment that you are now, instead of creating more options and choices. And you think I'm the moron?

So we should leave because we find no reason to celebrate the 4th of July? Actually whites have a reason to celebrate because without the labor of my ancestors this country would have existed, they're just pissed because they can't convince the average black to celebrate that.

What relevance does 1776 hold for blacks? Zero, the country in 1776 was nothing like it is today, when you name the positives that the 4th of July 1776 had for blacks then we can discuss, but just know not all people celebrate holidays for the hell of it or because of traditions and lies passed down from generation to generation.

Why bitch about it ? And how is it that you are an escaped slave ? If you dont like it go back to Africa. The thing is, very few white folks harbor any guilt over what whites did 200 years ago. Most blacks dont either, they are to busy living there lives and making a living. You should try it.

You wanna be angry? Cheers.

Won't get you anywhere..and I doubt you'll feel good in the end.

Anyways..Happy Fourth.

I don't have to move anywhere. I spent 20 years of my life defending this country and I choose to not celebrate the 4th. If you don't like it, that's life.

Good for you. I don't celebrate it and I never said America's negatives out weighted it's positives. July 4th 1776 wasn't independence day for blacks in America, so why would a black person celebrate it. Two of my best friends are Apache and Navajo, respectively. Both are former Marines and both don't celebrate the 4th, are they wrong?

There are no 'former Marines'. There are only serving and retired Marines. Idiot.

And, for the record, I know plenty of blacks, and a few Native Americans - and they celebrate the 4th.

If I thought of myself as just a ******, I would not celebrate the 4th of July either.

Forum List

Back