Should we ban college football and basketball?

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
There are many college coaches with multi-million $ contracts from their school. Then they make even more from books and tv and radio. Meanwhile the players, the ones who do the work and draw the fans and take the risks, get a $20,000 scholarship!!! Don't tell me the kids will make millions when they turn pros - very few will ever see a day in the pros.

College sports make a fortune for the coaches and the schools and the TV networks while the kids are screwed every way but right side up

There are many college coaches with multi-million $ contracts from their school. Then they make even more from books and tv and radio. Meanwhile the players, the ones who do the work and draw the fans and take the risks, get a $20,000 scholarship!!! Don't tell me the kids will make millions when they turn pros - very few will ever see a day in the pros.

College sports make a fortune for the coaches and the schools and the TV networks while the kids are screwed every way but right side up

The kids get a free college education. In many colleges that is worth more than $20k.

Also, the high priced coaches usually win more games, thereby increasing the revenue to the college.

As an example, people ranted & raved about Nick Saban getting a $4 million a year contract when he was hired in 2007. In 2008, bythe 8th game of the season, the Univ of Alabama had gross revenues of over $32 million from the football program. Since then the revenues have only grown. The football program is basically funding the entire athletic dept and helping the rest of the university as well.

• Banned
Also, the high priced coaches usually win more games, thereby increasing the revenue to the college.

That's not the point. The kids don't get any of that money and yet they're the ones doing the work!!!

That's not the point. The kids don't get any of that money and yet they're the ones doing the work!!!

No they don't get any of the money. My son didn't get any of the money when the Dept of Defense paid teh UA to do research.

They get a college education and the potential to play pro ball or coach. In other words, they get a future. How many of these athletes do you think would be able to go to college on their grades?

And is anyone forcing them to play college ball? They know the score when they sign up. Why would you want to ruin their chances at an education, plus destroy thousands of people's careers just because you have some idea of fairness?

They get a FREE education, room and other privileges. The college your kid goes to may only be $20,000 but many colleges are over $20,000 a year.

Almost all college football programs lose money. It should be banned tomorrow.

From all I have read, college football makes the money with revenue and TV money and helps support all the other sports programs.

Perhaps for the SEC...perhaps. Also, in fairness, the costs associated by most who harbor my view take the amount of money the scholarship players would be spending on their education and debit that--10 players at 20K = 200K the school isn't getting as if the players would be in college anyway. Meaning that people who share my view also like to say that the school lost 200K on the 10 players. Thats nonsense.

With states running deficits in the hundreds of millions of dollars if not billions, they shouldn't be funding college sports anymore than the Federal government should be funding the academy teams, public broadcasting, or any other frivolous enterprise.

From all I have read, college football makes the money with revenue and TV money and helps support all the other sports programs.

Perhaps for the SEC...perhaps. Also, in fairness, the costs associated by most who harbor my view take the amount of money the scholarship players would be spending on their education and debit that--10 players at 20K = 200K the school isn't getting as if the players would be in college anyway. Meaning that people who share my view also like to say that the school lost 200K on the 10 players. Thats nonsense.

With states running deficits in the hundreds of millions of dollars if not billions, they shouldn't be funding college sports anymore than the Federal government should be funding the academy teams, public broadcasting, or any other frivolous enterprise.

So the only schools who field a team are the ones who make a profit and can pay for it?

A reminder, banning college football and basketball would cost tens of thousands of people their livelihoods, from vendors and suppliers to coaches and support staff.

As for it being about the SEC, on the list at the link I posted there are 8 schools that saw profits in excess of $10 million. Only one of those is an SEC school. It seems the Big 10 has the most schools making more than $10million on athletics.

Big time college football is big money, the TV contracts for BCS teams mean millions to each college. Look it up.

A reminder, banning college football and basketball would cost tens of thousands of people their livelihoods, from vendors and suppliers to coaches and support staff.

So? Those people are useless non-producers. American parasites.

I'm thinking there should be NCAA Grand Prix Auto racing and NACCA Mixed Martial Arts.

It's what the kids do on Friday night anyway. The college might as well make some money off it.

So? Those people are useless non-producers. American parasites.

So perhaps you could provide us with a list of jobs that you consider non-parasitic?

lol

They produce entertainment. They allow friends and families to enjoy an activity together.

Somehow I see you are less concerned with the athletes and more concerned with attacking what you dislike.

The money that colleges spend on sports could hire how many professors and fund how many labs?

Just as an FYI, here is a list of college athletic depts that made a profit:

Most Profitable College Athletic Programs | Kaarme

It is quite a long list.

Andn the players get a pittance out of all that big money.

They're in it for the puss.... or at least I was. It's not a bad deal, you get free room and board, a free education, some spending money and a work-study job that is super-easy that gives you a little more spending money.

Mom and Dad are proud. You're a BMOC. You get to play the game you love.

But make no mistake, college athletics is alot of work and on a per hour basis the pay sucks.

Some of my friends went to the service but they didn't really end up starting their civilian lives until they were in their late 20's or so. Some of my friends took out mega-loans... those are the ones who still don't own a home.

The best way to finance college is to have rich parents who pay for everything.

The money that colleges spend on sports could hire how many professors and fund how many labs?

According to the link I posted, the Univ of Alabama made over $22 million in profit from athletics. I'm thinking that paid for quite a few profs and labs.

Forum List

Back